2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

Add him to the Cooper Dejean, Edgrin Cooper, Cooper Beebe draft. 

Barrel-making for unity avatars if this happens. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Barrel-making for unity avatars if this happens. 

Roll Out the Barrel will have to be sung by multitudes of drunk Packer Backers at the games.  Oh, wait a minute..l

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

Whether a guy from that group of 23 still available at 25 is a guy Gute wants, I can't say.  

There might be a few players available at 25 that we’d love to see picked and then Gute throws a curveball lol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craig said:

Add these 4 to CWood's 19 and that would be 23 guys. Can do some pretty good guessing.  But I'm guessing that if we're at 25, hard to list 23 guys as sure to be gone.  Might work out that way for sure, but odds are pretty strong that at least one of those 23 guys will still be there at 25.  

Whether a guy from that group of 23 still available at 25 is a guy Gute wants, I can't say.  

I would bet a lot of money that at least two of those 23 will be available at 25.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I would bet a lot of money that at least two of those 23 will be available at 25.

Totally agree with this.  NFL general managers and their drafting staffs/scouts don't go blabbing (at least the good ones) who they really like and will be drafting.  There is ALWAYS  a team or two that surprises with their draft pick in the top 25.  Speculation is fun but in going back through previous drafts it shows players dropping down and going up that was very unexpected.  A couple nicely ranked players will be there for Packer brass to choose from or they can trade down for somebody who wants them.

On 3/2/2024 at 2:11 PM, beekay414 said:

Nice to know a lot of you would hate me if I were the best prospect of my draft class lol. I would be the last thing from humble if I was an all-world athlete lmao.

I'd treat kids that looked up to me well but I'd be such a cockbag to everyone else and I'd love it so much.

How would you act if you were the best prospect in your draft class, at QB, and with a cool $12M of money in your pocket from playing college football?

Dude is in a very enviable situation right now.  I dare say, he does have some leverage.

10 hours ago, craig said:

Add these 4 to CWood's 19 and that would be 23 guys. Can do some pretty good guessing.  But I'm guessing that if we're at 25, hard to list 23 guys as sure to be gone.  Might work out that way for sure, but odds are pretty strong that at least one of those 23 guys will still be there at 25.  

I think you can probably add a "WTF" prospect being taken in the top 25 in there somewhere.  A reach maybe two who didn't project in the top 25.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just kinda spitballing on the numbers.

QB (4) - Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy
RB (0)
WR (4) - MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman
TE (1) - Bowers
OT (4) - Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga, Mims
IOL (0)
DT (1) - Newton
EDGE (4) - Turner, Verse, Latu
ILB (0)
CB (2) - Wiggins, Mitchell
S (0)

Those are the guys that I'm pretty confident will be off the board before the Packers' pick.  That's 19 guys right there.  And that means there's 5 more guys that are potentially in there.

I think Newton drops a bit. Guessing it's 50/50 he makes it to 25 if we want him. Murphy will be DT 1. 

I have cooled on DeJean.

I feel like his injury probably was a lot worse than we’ll know. Unless it’s been cleared up and I just missed it, I think the mystery around it is no good.

I’m not even that high on taking a corner in this draft anymore either. At least not in the first round. I think they’re becoming a little overvalued. Especially if we’re going to be running mostly zone still. And considering we’ve got Jaire still, who is more than capable with the right DC.

I’m all about the OL. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MacReady said:

I have cooled on DeJean.

I feel like his injury probably was a lot worse than we’ll know. Unless it’s been cleared up and I just missed it, I think the mystery around it is no good.

I’m not even that high on taking a corner in this draft anymore either. At least not in the first round. I think they’re becoming a little overvalued. Especially if we’re going to be running mostly zone still. And considering we’ve got Jaire still, who is more than capable with the right DC.

I’m all about the OL. 

As badly as we need secondary bodies, I too am inclined to keep stocking the trenches on both sides of the ball. I’m completely out on Kinchens after his poor combine. I’ve been lukewarm on Nubin as a fit for this defense. So I’m not taking a safety until the 3rd round, I think. The front sevens for both Super Bowl teams were more important to their success than their secondaries, imo. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

As badly as we need secondary bodies, I too am inclined to keep stocking the trenches on both sides of the ball. I’m completely out on Kinchens after his poor combine. I’ve been lukewarm on Nubin as a fit for this defense. So I’m not taking a safety until the 3rd round, I think. The front sevens for both Super Bowl teams were more important to their success than their secondaries, imo. 

Not sure you can make that argument for the team with Sneed and McDuffie. 

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t want to take anything away from the Chiefs linebackers cause that’s a really cool group that goes four deep and does a lot of different things (Bolton, Tranquil, Chenal, Gay) but the strength of that defense was definitely the back end. 

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just kinda spitballing on the numbers.

QB (4) - Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy
RB (0)
WR (4) - MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman
TE (1) - Bowers
OT (4) - Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga, Mims
IOL (0)
DT (1) - Newton
EDGE (4) - Turner, Verse, Latu
ILB (0)
CB (2) - Wiggins, Mitchell
S (0)

Those are the guys that I'm pretty confident will be off the board before the Packers' pick.  That's 19 guys right there.  And that means there's 5 more guys that are potentially in there.

I have a hard time seeing a 4.61 WR as a top 20 lock. It could happen, but certainly not a lock IMO.

Also, the past two years make me hesitant to call McCarthy a lock. It sure *seems* like he’s a lock to go top 10, but then I felt the same about Will Levis and Malik Willis.

12 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I have cooled on DeJean.

I’m all about the OL. 

I think the injury to Dejean is what might get him to #25.  Had he been healthy and scorched the combine as expected he'd have been long gone, but as of right now it looks like he could be sitting there.  He's been cleared medically already from what I've heard and is running again.  Really good football player who I doubt the Packers would pass up.  

• Like 3

DeJean, to me, can play safety at a high level in the NFL for 10+ years.  Not sure he can do that at corner, but I have zero doubt about him as a safety fit, even with the injury.

If he's there, he's as much of a no-brainer as LVN was last year.

• Like 2