2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

12 minutes ago, R T said:

And again you are twisting my original comment, 5th or 6th WR's do not have the luxury of being locks, they are always one player away from breaking out from being off the roster. That is by definition a fringe player.  

Outside of the fringe player argument, I agree with the point that it probably means no Max Melton. If one feels upset about something at some point, the other may as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Fringe means easily replaceable.  Based on what Melton did at the end of last year, that's not easily replaceable.  He was our most productive WR over the last 3 regular season games.  Grant DuBose didn't do that.  Samori Toure didn't do that.  Malik Heath didn't do that.  So he's not in that same tier, so he's not quite a roster lock but he's also not a fringe guy either.

Lol, just playing a game of semantics now. 

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

After Gute drafted Quay Walker, I resolved to throw out the window any predictions I ever may have as to what he would do in round 1 of a draft.

I say it every year.  We can wait until the Packers are on the clock, you already know who's been previously picked  and we still won't get it right.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I say it every year.  We can wait until the Packers are on the clock, you already know who's been previously picked  and we still won't get it right.  

Only first round picks I’ve gotten right since Ted’s first draft up to last year

- AJ Hawk

- HHCD (unfortunately)

- Kenny Clark

Edited by Isherwood
  • Like 1

I feel like we always talk about the Packers taking an OL in the first because it's defensible strategically, and it's not like they're spending a FRP on non-QB skill position on offense, but it just so rarely happens.  Like in the 20 first round picks the Packers have made since TT took over, there have been as many first round QBs as OL (2).  Some of this could be attributed to who they had in house, but again they spend as many FRPs on QBs as OL.

Like I certainly wouldn't object to drafting a good OL at 25, but the Packers seem to have the secret sauce for getting guys in rounds 2-5 anyway.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DecoctionMash said:

Brooks would be really nice, but I think Isaac Guerendo is the perfect mid-round change-of-pace back with Jacobs and Dillon. Badgers fans have already seen this dynamic play out with Braelon. Assuming the Packers feel good about his lengthy medical history, that is. 

Guerendo would maybe be an interesting late round flyer type, but that's all he is.  I'd be OK with him being taken late on day 3.

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like we always talk about the Packers taking an OL in the first because it's defensible strategically, and it's not like they're spending a FRP on non-QB skill position on offense, but it just so rarely happens.  Like in the 20 first round picks the Packers have made since TT took over, there have been as many first round QBs as OL (2).  Some of this could be attributed to who they had in house, but again they spend as many FRPs on QBs as OL.

Like I certainly wouldn't object to drafting a good OL at 25, but the Packers seem to have the secret sauce for getting guys in rounds 2-5 anyway.

I'm sure there will be RD1 OL available that I'd be fine taking, but GB has been so good at developing the later picks, part of me thinks it's better to wait.  I'm kind of hoping GB comes out of the draft with a Jenkins type who can slide in immediately at RG, but also has the potential to move outside.

9 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mentioned this above. Just think it's going to end up being another position in the 1st and basically that boils down to CB or DL. Just can't see them going S or LB in the first with this class (unless you consider DeJean a SAF). 

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm sure there will be RD1 OL available that I'd be fine taking, but GB has been so good at developing the later picks, part of me thinks it's better to wait.  I'm kind of hoping GB comes out of the draft with a Jenkins type who can slide in immediately at RG, but also has the potential to move outside.

Several good ones on Day 2. I firmly believe GB drafts 2 OL by the end of round 3. I just have a feeling one of them won't come in the 1st. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's unlikely we trade back for another 3rd round pick.  Right now, we're slotted to pick 41, 58, 88, and 91 on Day 2.  I'm not going to say never, but it just doesn't seem likely that we're going to get yet another Day 2 pick.

Could very well use some "extra" picks to move up in the 2nd/3rd rounds. 

13 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

And we took Bulaga when we knew we had to replace a 10 year starter at LT. And now we have to replace another 10 year starter at LT. So there's your 20 years.

Does having Tom already in house negate some of that need? I would agree with that. 

I think DB probably takes the cake again this year but I think this could certainly be a year to consider the OT more than previous years.

Carolina and Washington both have two high seconds.  I would probably take both of those for 25 from either team (with some day 3 picks balancing the ledger.)

The talent in this draft does seem pretty flat from about 16 to 50.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

And now we have to replace another 10 year starter at LT

The thing about this is that Bakhtiari played one game last year, and they were more or less fine along the OL.  If they have to go into 2024 with Rasheed Walker at left tackle, I think they'll be okay with that.  LIke Bakhtiari is gone, but they also weren't counting on him.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Carolina and Washington both have two high seconds.  I would probably take both of those for 25 from either team (with some day 3 picks balancing the ledger.)

2 very high 2nds with some "extras" thrown in would be ok IF and I mean IF none of the Packers top guys are all gone.

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The thing about this is that Bakhtiari played one game last year, and they were more or less fine along the OL.  If they have to go into 2024 with Rasheed Walker at left tackle, I think they'll be okay with that.  LIke Bakhtiari is gone, but they also weren't counting on him.

Like the Marshall Newhouse years. Absolutely they could stand pat, I doubt they're ruling out any OT if someone makes it down to them. 

They haven't went into the year without an All pro or 1st rounder on the roster for 20 years.

Edited by HighCalebR