2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

27 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I've always thought it was weird that with the technology we have that teams would still use a stop watch.

There's got to be better ways. 

Why not use HD cameras, record it, count the frames from start to finish and have an accurate time within a hundredth of a second and no hand timed variation?

Well, for accurate information they have GPS tracking data to get actual game speed.  The reason you rely on stopwatch times is that they are comparable to all the historical data you have collected using hand times.  You can say "this guy ran x time in the 40" and point to another player who everybody in the room is familiar with and compare their time with the prospect, a thing you can't do with GPS tracking data for a guy who played in the 90s.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, for accurate information they have GPS tracking data to get actual game speed.  The reason you rely on stopwatch times is that they are comparable to all the historical data you have collected using hand times.  You can say "this guy ran x time in the 40" and point to another player who everybody in the room is familiar with and compare their time with the prospect, a thing you can't do with GPS tracking data for a guy who played in the 90s.

I mean I just can't wrap my head around the idea of "Let's collect clearly less accurate data on purpose so we can compare it to other clearly inaccurate data." That very well might be the reason but if so it's pretty dumb IMO. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I mean I just can't wrap my head around the idea of "Let's collect clearly less accurate data on purpose so we can compare it to other clearly inaccurate data." That very well might be the reason but if so it's pretty dumb IMO. 

It's less that and more "It ain't broke enough to fix" and "I don't wanna learn about this upgrade." Both being very human impulses.

Also, would HD Cameras work accurately on something that requires them to pan from one direction to another in order to capture the full forty yards?

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Is this guy on draft boards?

As a freshman at Alabama, Alfano was absent from class and practices in September for unspecified reasons, though Alfano's father tweeted that his absence may have stemmed from Alfano's grandmother, who had been in ill-health at the time.[6] Alfano entered the NCAA transfer portal on September 13, 2019, and Colorado Buffaloes head coach (and former Alabama Crimson Tide defensive backs coach) Mel Tucker announced that Alfano had transferred to Colorado on November 4, 2019.[7] Alabama head coach Nick Saban addressed Alfano's time with the team by saying Alfano, "basically quit."[8] He did not play any games for the Crimson Tide.[9]

Buffaloes head coach Mel Tucker had previously recruited Alfano to Georgia, where Tucker was the Defensive Coordinator at the time.[10] One month after Alfano officially enrolled at Colorado, Buffaloes head coach Mel Tucker left the program to take the same position at Michigan State University, while Alfano's position coach at Colorado, Jimmy Brumbaugh, also left the program the same week to take a coaching job at the University of Tennessee.[11] On May 29, 2020, it was reported that Alfano was no longer enrolled at Colorado and no longer a member of the football team.[12] As of August 19, 2020, Alfano was reinstated to the football team.[13][14]

GJM3AldXUAAeq6J?format=jpg&name=medium

Saban said he quit, then he went to Lackawanna??

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Saban said he quit, then he went to Lackawanna??

The guy was once the #1 rated recruit in the country. He's moved all over the place. On Nov. 29, 2023 he announced he would be attending LSU. Doesn't seem like a guy with a plan. 

21 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Makes sense. Quite a few Notre Dame players that fit the Packers mold including Blake Fisher, Cam Hart and Marist Liufau. 

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, for accurate information they have GPS tracking data to get actual game speed.  The reason you rely on stopwatch times is that they are comparable to all the historical data ...

How many years have they had the GPS game-speed data?  I would think that's now a large enough sample, at both NFL and D1 level, so that they should have an ample comparison pool?  In real games, are Nubin and Kinchens GPS-slower than real NFL safeties?  

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

NFL teams don't rely on "one official number" for guys.  They're going to want as many different measurements of something as they can get.  The actual combine packet that teams get doesn't just have "one official 40 time"  it has a number of different times in it.

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

It's less that and more "It ain't broke enough to fix" and "I don't wanna learn about this upgrade." Both being very human impulses.

Also, would HD Cameras work accurately on something that requires them to pan from one direction to another in order to capture the full forty yards?

but it is broke

it's silly and only still exists to satisfy egos

33 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

The guy was once the #1 rated recruit in the country. He's moved all over the place. On Nov. 29, 2023 he announced he would be attending LSU. Doesn't seem like a guy with a plan. 

Can't wait for the 30 for 30.

43 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Makes sense. Quite a few Notre Dame players that fit the Packers mold including Blake Fisher, Cam Hart and Marist Liufau. 

And JD Bertrand.

Also, word is Estime rand 4.56-4.59 improving the 4.70 from the combine.

Edited by CrazyJoeDavola

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

I low key think Jim Nagy will wind up being a candidate for the Packers presidency job.  I haven't heard his name linked to the Packers previously, so if he's a candidate you heard it hear first.  

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

but it is broke

it's silly and only still exists to satisfy egos

You're also dealing with time discrepancies ranging from possibly one-tenth of a second to even narrower. The only major example of a situation where more advanced technology could've possibly made a substantial difference was Bo Jackson's immortal 4.12. Everything else fails to fail the ol' eyeball test.

Point being, advancements on this field are going to have to be voluntarily ventured by the broken-in-the-head types who dig into the hundreths of a second potentially lost to fickle human reflexes.