2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

He's not turning it down per se, he's delaying it a year. The risks associated with that are something, he and his family have to weigh. 

I think he's coming out, 100%. 

And running the risk of a career-altering injury?  Nah.

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

In no recent years (let's say last 15 years) has a player returned to college after being the consensus #1 overall pick.  The "closet" comparison to what you're arguing is when Brian Brohm returned to Louisville for his senior year after he was favored to be the top pick.  And even then, I'd argue he would have had to contend with JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Calvin Johnson for the top pick in the draft.

The most recents I could think of were Manning, Leinart, and Ron Dayne all sticking around for their senior years back in the (early) aughts. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

According to ON3's evaluation, there are only 26 college athletes with NIL values of $1M+.  Of those 26, 19 of those are CFB players.  Of those 19, only 3 (Travis Hunter, MHJ, and Evan Stewart) are non-QBs.  The notion that players are getting 7 or 8 figure NIL deals isn't real.

And you managed to mention 2 guys who entered the league in 1983.  That's well before the advent of the rookie cap, and that's nearly 40 years ago.  In no recent years (let's say last 15 years) has a player returned to college after being the consensus #1 overall pick.  The "closet" comparison to what you're arguing is when Brian Brohm returned to Louisville for his senior year after he was favored to be the top pick.  And even then, I'd argue he would have had to contend with JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Calvin Johnson for the top pick in the draft.

If I understand the numbers you quote, there are 16 college QB’s making more than 1 million per year-  A 7 figure salary .

i would venture to say the first round QB’s are in that group.  So yeah, my question is relevant to the players being discussed.  I think most fans are underestimating how these payments to star players will increase as collectives expand their donation/ income structure.

i get the point about the old days vs recent times.   I just think the landscape is changing again.  

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Kelly didnt want to play in Buffalo? Funny given how his career played out.

The man who would become Buffalo’s football idol once explained his decision to reporters by saying, “I could go on for days and days why I picked the USFL over the NFL. Would you rather be in Houston or Buffalo? I’ll stop there.”

29 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The idea that guys like Williams and/or Sanders are going to delay their entry into the NFL because of NIL is nonsense... for now.  I think it could become a real thing down the road.

Sanders may delay just because of who his dad is and playing another year as a shot as QB1 in the 2025 draft and his hype dying down. It won't be because of NIL in his case. Williams is 100% going pro no matter what his dad says.

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

If I understand the numbers you quote, there are 16 college QB’s making more than 1 million per year-  A 7 figure salary .

i would venture to say the first round QB’s are in that group.  So yeah, my question is relevant to the players being discussed.  I think most fans are underestimating how these payments to star players will increase as collectives expand their donation/ income structure.

i get the point about the old days vs recent times.   I just think the landscape is changing again.  

Again, we're talking about a projected $3.2M for Caleb Williams this year as opposed to the $24.6M signing bonus that Bryce Young just signed for.  Compare that to the $4M signing bonus that Will Levis signed for, and that's not chump change.  That's a substantial amount of money that Caleb Williams is willing to walk away from simply because he "doesn't want to play" for that franchise.  When a clear #1 overall pick returns to college, wake me up.  It's a leverage ploy.  A poor leverage ploy, but a leverage ploy nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The idea that guys like Williams and/or Sanders are going to delay their entry into the NFL because of NIL is nonsense... for now.  I think it could become a real thing down the road.

I mean, it's substantially harder to tell you dad no especially when you're not the presumptive #1 overall pick.

9 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The dude averaging 3.3 yards per carry? No thanks! 

Last year he averaged 5 per carry

This is he was used mostly near goal line situations hence he is averaging less since Bijan is there lead back. 

Edited by Jaire_Island

9 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

Last year he averaged 5 per carry

This is he was used mostly near goal line situations hence he is averaging less since Bijan is there lead back. 

Sorry dude, he's got over 100 carries, so he's not just being used in goal line situations. He also only has 2 rushing TDs and no receiving TDs. So, if he's their goal line back, he sucks at it. 

Easy pass. 

2023 REGULAR SEASON STATS

8 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

It is kind of humorous.   I think he probably views it differently now than he did on draft day.

Back then the Buffalo Bills sucked.  One of the last places players wanted to go.  Kelly eventually had impact in turning it around.  Kinda like Favre in Green Bay.