2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

30 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

No. He didn't. That's a bad count. That's his reps as "FS" which includes 2 high snaps and C6 where he split between middle and field side 3rd. He shines playing in the box, he's good deep.  But it's not like he's earl or nick playing sideline to sideline. 

He can play a deep third though just fine for sure. And I think you can put him back there and not worry or if you want to throw a disguise he'll perform fine dropping back and he sees the field very well.

He was best when he was paired with Pinnock who Wink could play around with making them more interchangeable.

Under the 2 previous DCs he played deep more. Under Wink, where his breakout season happened  the majority of his snaps come down low.

fair points, but i also read an article charting his single high MOF closed looks and he graded out very well there

it's also fair to note that Wink likes his defenses to play differently than Hafley. what do we know about Hafley? he primarily likes those single high looks. I'm fairly certain McKinney was brought here to play that role

But....I guess we won't know exactly how he's used until perhaps we acquire the next safety? if it's a SS type like Nubin then Hafley likely wants to continue with that scheme. if we draft say....Javon Bullard for example...then perhaps Hafley wants to rock and roll these safeties, have them be versatile and playing different roles, 2 high looks, etc. 

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't go that far to say that Day 3 isn't going to bring some quality players.

There will be good players on Deep 3, but the total number of underclassmen declaring for the draft is low.  So the total talent pool is smaller.  So there's even more of a reason to double check your work on the evals of some of the day 3 guys.  Like the reason they were at the Notre Dame pro day probably has a lot more to do with Audric Estime and Marist Liufau than it does Joe Alt since they're not drafting Joe Alt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, persiandud said:

fair points, but i also read an article charting his single high MOF closed looks and he graded out very well there

it's also fair to note that Wink likes his defenses to play differently than Hafley. what do we know about Hafley? he primarily likes those single high looks. I'm fairly certain McKinney was brought here to play that role

But....I guess we won't know exactly how he's used until perhaps we acquire the next safety? if it's a SS type like Nubin then Hafley likely wants to continue with that scheme. if we draft say....Javon Bullard for example...then perhaps Hafley wants to rock and roll these safeties, have them be versatile and playing different roles, 2 high looks, etc. 

Yeah I agree that he plays well high. I think his vision and recognition is one of the highlights of his game. Wink is also a single high guy majority of the time. He plays C2 about only I'm the red zone or some 4th down stuff. C6 can look like single high/C3 if you're not paying close attention. McKinney plays 1/3rd very well.

Putting McKinney up high is wasting what he's best at, guy erases TEs in man. Way more plays happen close to the LoS than post routes. I feel fairly confident hell play a ton of  S/ILB slot snaps. I think best case scenario we get another safety who can do it all just like Xavier can.

I think he got paid to fill 2 slots of our depth chart.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah I agree that he plays well high. I think his vision and recognition is one of the highlights of his game. Wink is also a single high guy majority of the time. He plays C2 about only I'm the red zone or some 4th down stuff. C6 can look like single high/C3 if you're not paying close attention. McKinney plays 1/3rd very well.

Putting McKinney up high is wasting what he's best at, guy erases TEs in man. Way more plays happen close to the LoS than post routes. I feel fairly confident hell play a ton of  S/ILB slot snaps. I think best case scenario we get another safety who can do it all just like Xavier can.

I think he got paid to fill 2 slots of our depth chart.

appreciate your knowledge on this. i disagree a bit, mostly on the notion that putting him high is "wasting him". but i do think he's going to be a versatile chess piece for us. if i had to guess, most of his snaps will be at FS though

can you imagine if we signed Justin Simmons and drafted Cooper DeJean as our nickel? best secondary in the NFL 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, persiandud said:

appreciate your knowledge on this. i disagree a bit, mostly on the notion that putting him high is "wasting him". but i do think he's going to be a versatile chess piece for us. if i had to guess, most of his snaps will be at FS though

can you imagine if we signed Justin Simmons and drafted Cooper DeJean as our nickel? best secondary in the NFL 

That's fair. And I think it's what his first 2 DCs thought as well. Just sit him high so we don't get beat deep.. but that's decoy routes just too often imo. I'm a big fan of how Wink deploys defenses so maybe it's just a little bias.

2 hours ago, craig said:

I wouldn't undervalue 3rd-day picks. 

Last year Valentine in 7th (starting CB), Johnson in 7th (possible a significant rotation guy in the safety group), Wicks in 5th, Carlson in 6th, Brooks in 6th, Wooden in 4th.  

Two drafts ago Rasheed in 7th, Enagbare 5th, Doubs and Tom 4th.  

3 draft ago McDuffie 6th, now a starter; and Slaton in 5th.  

$30/3 Runyan was 6th round the draft before that.   

Very much agree.   GB has 34 players under contract as of now for 2025.  Those 11 picks put a lot of depth and competition on the roster and allow a lot of options for re-signing select FA vs having to.  

9 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Or if there is a better way to share excel docs than email, show me the way lol

Print it out, tear off the perforated edges, bust out the point and shoot, lean back to get the Crocs outta the pic, point, shoot, remove microSD, insert into laptop, open photo in Microsoft paint, add desired enhancements, upload to ChatGPT, sit back

Edited by incognito_man

37 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Print it out, tear off the perforated edges, bust out the point and shoot, lean back to get the Crocs outta the pick, point, shoot, remove microSD, insert into laptop, open photo in Microsoft paint, add desired enhancements, upload to ChatGPT, sit back

*profit

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah I'm going to assume Gute doesn't have the same feelings about the 4th>3rd round meme.

There's been some useful players in the 3rd through the years as well. A good amount of those guys played out their contracts with the team. I know we want more from the round, but it hasn't been as disastrous as the joke makes out.

The track record is a strong argument against that. I get it, the third round is a higher round, but you can't ignore the tale of the tape on this one. Besides, you get a team with very few holes looking for that one guy they think is slipping down their board and you could get a lot of picks for either 88 or 91. I'd love to keep one and trade the other or trade one or both to move up sooner.

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Print it out, tear off the perforated edges, bust out the point and shoot, lean back to get the Crocs outta the pic, point, shoot, remove microSD, insert into laptop, open photo in Microsoft paint, add desired enhancements, upload to ChatGPT, sit back

But the crocs are the most important part

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

The track record is a strong argument against that. I get it, the third round is a higher round, but you can't ignore the tale of the tape on this one. Besides, you get a team with very few holes looking for that one guy they think is slipping down their board and you could get a lot of picks for either 88 or 91. I'd love to keep one and trade the other or trade one or both to move up sooner.

I invite you to look at other teams record in the 3rd as well. We lack the home run pick or two through the last 10 years. But ours looks very similar to most.

The 9ers have Warner aaaaand not much else the Steelers have Highsmith aaaand not much else. The Ravens are really good here! They got Madabuike and Orlando Brown (but Browns not with them anymore)

I know the microscope is on the Packers there but it's just the fact that the miss rate is extremely high in the draft. If you get a guy who plays out the contract with the team and sees PT that's a decent enough hit, if you're being realistic. If they move on and get you any comp consideration that's a definitive hit. The jackpot is if they get re-signed. 

We've just happened to find a couple home runs in the 4th round. That's the luck of the draft. Just need bites at the apple. You're bound to be right at some point.

Edited by HighCalebR

17 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

I created a RAS cheat sheet in excel so I don’t need to look up RAS cards one by one. Includes position, RAS score, school, height, weight, 40 time, etc etc. It pulls RAS scores straight from ras.football and the combine info from PFF and puts it all in one nice table. The PFF data is from March 6 so does not include any pro day info - haven’t been able to find a good source for that. All RAS cards are linked so you can easily see if my sheet is missing any data for a guy. 

I then split the table out by position group and did color scales on each testing category. 

Just a quick, visual way to identify potential picks when you’re doing your mocks. Is easier for me than searching each guy one by one. If anybody is interested, I’d gladly sent it to you. Or if there is a better way to share excel docs than email, show me the way lol.

Can you send it to me?  It sounds almost identical to the one I've been making for the past few years but with maybe a little more functionality.  Might help me improve mine.  I can message you with my email if you'd like.

Otherwise, mine is in Google Sheets which makes sharing super easy since it's completely online.  I've never imported an Excel file into Sheets but here's a how to if it's something you want to try:

https://www.howtogeek.com/832921/how-to-convert-an-excel-sheet-to-google-sheets/

Edited by MaximusGluteus

15 hours ago, persiandud said:

you think we paid all that money for a box safety? 

yes, McKinney is able to play single high. he played something like 400 snaps for the Giants in that position this past season, if i'm not mistaken

DeJean didn't even play safety in college. if we drafted him, he'd be our starting slot nickel (yes i'm assuming he's better than Nixon lol) 

DeJean played cornerback, cash (a hybrid linebacker/safety position), and punt returner for the Hawkeyes in 2022, in addition to playing safety in the preseason.

Dejean does have some experience at  strong safety

2021 Honors – – Next Man In Award, special teams… 2021 – – Saw action in seven games, starting at strong safety in 28-21 win at Nebraska… tallied four tackles (three solo, one assist)… first action of career in 27-7 loss at Wisconsin, returning kickoff for 20 yards… posted one solo tackle and one assisted tackle in 33-23 win over Illinois for first career defensive statistics… recording one solo tackle in 42-3 loss to #2 Michigan and in 20-17 Citrus Bowl loss to #22 Kentucky… letterwinner.