2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

On 3/23/2024 at 6:48 PM, Kampfgeist said:

I can and will ignore it.    It's like flipping a coin and landing on tails 4 straight times and believing the next time just has to be heads.   Previous 3rd rnd picks have -0- bearing on future 3rd rnd picks.    Regardless of the past, the odds are still the odds, and having more picks in the 3rd rnd is still better than a similar number of picks in the 4th or beyond

It absolutely is not.

Taking turd round picks and comparing it to a coin flip is not accurate.  

The internet tells me that 16% of 3rd round picks go on to be a "quality player". 

And our GM?  He obviously did the research.  To beat those odds, he needed to draft someone with name related to cheese.   Outside of that?  Doesn't work.  Scour the draft and look for a Limburger.  Or Swiss.  Though let's not draft a secondary player with the word "swiss" in his name.

Maybe it wasn't the cheese, so maybe the kid needs a new age name like Tucker.  How about the Mason McCormick?  Newer age name...and double initials.  That may do it.

Go for a 3 name player with a new age name.  Sedrick Van Pran.  SVP for short.  That could work.

I don't know.  Maybe last year it was a cheese thing.  This year?  I like a lot of names in the third round, especially those double initial kids.

Yeah, let's go for double initials to help Gutey this year.

Edited by vegas492

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I don't see what separates someone like JPJ from Barton. Why is JPJ in play at 25 but not Barton for some people? If anything, one would think Barton would be higher on our board because of his history of playing all 5 spots on the line. 

FWIW, I'm higher on Barton than JPJ.

I very much feel like Barton will be gone before GB picks.  He's too versatile for someone not to love him over project RT's like Guyton and Mims.

If Barton is there when we pick, it's a non sexy pick, but one that could pay immediate dividends.  RG all day long.  Center after one year if Myers becomes expensive.  Just a very versatile players and it is very easy to see his versatility.  Much easier to see than projecting Guyton and Mims somewhere over time.  Their ceilings may be higher at one position, but the floor is just oh so much lower.

13 hours ago, Chili said:

LOVED his tape. He showed his physicality and effort combined with good movement and athleticism. However it seems pretty likely that his best position will be in the interior in the NFL.

Everything about him screams PACKER. However slot #25 seems way too early for him. More likely 2nd round I would think.

He's a guy that's going to end up in the NFC North. I can see Detroit and the Vikings liking him too.

I'd draft him to play interior, agree that seems his best fit, with the idea that I could move him outside in emergency, imo Walker will keep improving over the end of last year, with Toms keeping the job of RT our biggest need is better play at RG, seems a natural fit for Barton, jmo

I don't see Barton dropping into the 2nd round, maybe, this bumper crop could push him there, he seems really polished up to me.

14 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Been doing some heavy duty scouting on LB's.  One intrigued me.  Bobby Boucher from South Central Lousiana Mud Dogs.  #9.  He's one hell of a player think we should take him at #25 if he drops. 

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/p__/images/0/0c/The_waterboy_1998_926x1370_338331.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140311125749&path-prefix=protagonist

Scouting report...

https://medium.com/@dwily/sports-movie-scouting-report-bobby-boucher-d44a58300a84

He's got Packer written all over him.  

Total product of Coach Klein. Man’s been a genius down there. They even put a statue up in Milwaukee for him he’s so good. Plus, I don’t trust Boucher’s age. His momma may be the devil. I asked his athletic trainer what he thought and he said, “emmer at I’m obby ooshay wanna morman mole”

• Like 1

Bukowski was looking at the potential for a big trade up for Joe Alt.  Alt is going to be a stud .. I'd think about it long and hard.

Maybe we target the Tennessee Titans at pick #7.  Packer would have to part with #25, #41 & #58 more than likely. Tennessee would probably have to give us their 4th to make the points work out right.  They do not have a 3rd round pick, so adding two 2nd's from us might be appealing to them.  I could see them saying .. no, we want Alt, but they seem to have their share of needs.

Titan's trade pick #7 & 4th round pick #106.  458 points in Rich Hill trade chart

Packers trade pick #25, #41 & #58.  469 points in Rich Hill trade chart

Packers select Joe Alt at #7, and would have picks 88 and 91 to work with in round 3, and 106 and 126 to work with in round 4.  Having no 2nd's sucks, but we'd have the draft ammo to trade up if needed.  I have a hard time seeing the Packers spending 11 draft picks anyway, and the chance to add a blue chip LT might be appealing.

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Bukowski was looking at the potential for a big trade up for Joe Alt.  Alt is going to be a stud .. I'd think about it long and hard.

Maybe we target the Tennessee Titans at pick #7.  Packer would have to part with #25, #41 & #58 more than likely. Tennessee would probably have to give us their 4th to make the points work out right.  They do not have a 3rd round pick, so adding two 2nd's from us might be appealing to them.  I could see them saying .. no, we want Alt, but they seem to have their share of needs.

Titan's trade pick #7 & 4th round pick #106.  458 points in Rich Hill trade chart

Packers trade pick #25, #41 & #58.  469 points in Rich Hill trade chart

Packers select Joe Alt at #7, and would have picks 88 and 91 to work with in round 3, and 106 and 126 to work with in round 4.  Having no 2nd's sucks, but we'd have the draft ammo to trade up if needed.  I have a hard time seeing the Packers spending 11 draft picks anyway, and the chance to add a blue chip LT might be appealing.

I'll pass. Joe Alt is great but how much more does he move the needle from Walker? Walker has the potential to be a franchise LT 

Gute tends to kill it in the 2nd round. I rather give Gute 3 cracks in the 1st and 2nd round then one. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, turf toe said:

I'd draft him to play interior, agree that seems his best fit, with the idea that I could move him outside in emergency, imo Walker will keep improving over the end of last year, with Toms keeping the job of RT our biggest need is better play at RG, seems a natural fit for Barton, jmo

I don't see Barton dropping into the 2nd round, maybe, this bumper crop could push him there, he seems really polished up to me.

Barton's arms are too short to play Tackle, yes, he can handle it but his home will be guard.  Good pass protector, could develop into a Bakhtiari of guards in pass protection.

JPJ is more of a mauler in the run game, can get out to the second level and handle business.  Has a nasty approach and the kind of guy you want setting the tone for your OL.  

I'd lean towards Barton, he has more versatility a long the OL but like Jenkins, you could put him at tackle but you wouldn't want to leave him there.  Either one of these guys would help.

17 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I'll pass. Joe Alt is great but how much more does he move the needle from Walker? Walker has the potential to be a franchise LT 

Gute tends to kill it in the 2nd round. I rather give Gute 3 cracks in the 1st and 2nd round then one. 

Absolutely.  Hate the idea of trading away our 2's.  Does it move the needle?  No it's a poor use of resources.  Barton will likely be there for us at 41.  That would be an excellent value pick.  Tampa if we want him will probably be available at #58 could get behind that as well.  As for #25 Gute will either trade down or take the player that falls in his lap regardless of position.  That's the way to do it.  We do have a gaping hole at ILB not sure what he has in mind to fill that role.  Hopefully the scouts have identified some guys Rds 3-4 that could come in and start.  He'll probably reach a bit on a player that we aren't talking about.  Or perhaps trade for a veteran. 

Edited by Scoremore

13 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Barton's arms are too short to play Tackle, yes, he can handle it but his home will be guard.  Good pass protector, could develop into a Bakhtiari of guards in pass protection.

JPJ is more of a mauler in the run game, can get out to the second level and handle business.  Has a nasty approach and the kind of guy you want setting the tone for your OL.  

I'd lean towards Barton, he has more versatility a long the OL but like Jenkins, you could put him at tackle but you wouldn't want to leave him there.  Either one of these guys would help.

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic, but it seems like the top centers are usually plug-and-play starters, and there's always at least a few of those guys each year. So unless the team thinks JPJ is a significant upgrade on Myers in year one, I would just wait until next year to draft a center (assuming we let Myers walk).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic, but it seems like the top centers are usually plug-and-play starters, and there's always at least a few of those guys each year. So unless the team thinks JPJ is a significant upgrade on Myers in year one, I would just wait until next year to draft a center (assuming we let Myers walk).

Can't argue with any of that.  I hear a lot of mixed reviews on Myers.  It will be interesting to see how he plays in his contract year.

37 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I think he moves the needle a lot at LT quite a bit.  I think Walker did a nice job later in the season, but he struggled enough to be splitting reps for most of the season.  Alt is a blue chip LT more than likely .. plug him in for a decade and never worry about him.  Walker has potential, but could be a guy we are always wishing for a bit of an upgrade.  I think if they made a big move for Alt the line sees a shakeup.  From left to right, Alt, Jenkins, Tom, Myers, Walker.  They'd go with the best five approach.  Myers might not even be back in 2025, and many have opined that Tom can be a top level center.  I doubt Gute would swing for the big trade up, but I wouldn't be terribly unhappy.  I think you'd wind up with an elite LT for a decade.  Maybe Walker becomes elite .. doubt it though.

32 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Absolutely.  Hate the idea of trading away our 2's.  Does it move the needle?  No it's a poor use of resources.  Barton will likely be there for us at 41.  That would be an excellent value pick.  Tampa if we want him will probably be available at #58 could get behind that as well.  As for #25 Gute will either trade down or take the player that falls in his lap regardless of position.  That's the way to do it.  We do have a gaping hole at ILB not sure what he has in mind to fill that role.  Hopefully the scouts have identified some guys Rds 3-4 that could come in and start.  He'll probably reach a bit on a player that we aren't talking about.  Or perhaps trade for a veteran. 

Very much doubt Barton lasts to #41 .. his versatility is off the charts.  You're right about being a value pick there but somebody will take him before GB has a chance in the 2nd.  Now .. if GB takes somebody else at #25 and then moves up in the 2nd round I'm all in for that.  Plenty of draft ammo for that.

27 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Very much doubt Barton lasts to #41 .. his versatility is off the charts.  You're right about being a value pick there but somebody will take him before GB has a chance in the 2nd.  Now .. if GB takes somebody else at #25 and then moves up in the 2nd round I'm all in for that.  Plenty of draft ammo for that.

Yeah, you have to go back to 2017 to find a draft where an IOL wasn't selected in the first round (Forrest Lamp went #38 that year). Over the last five drafts, an average of 2.4 IOL have gone in the first round.

Combine that with Barton's versatility and the fact that he is a very good prospect in his own right, and I have a hard time imagining him being available at #41. He might not even be there at #25.

Edited by Lodestar
  • Like 1