2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

I've just watched Andy Herman take on who's the likeliest player to be drafted by the Packers at pick #25.

Its a well reasoned take and he basically has the names whittled down to Mims, McKinstry and Guyton. From a premium position and threshold standpoint they make sense. However......

.....both Mims and Guyton have only ever played one position. RT.  They are RT only prospects. They do not have any position versatility that we know of and Herman is probably making assumptions due to their size and athleticism they would plug in easily at LT.

Guyton has played alot more and he does NOT have 1st round tape. Herman is too fixated on his size and testing numbers.

Mims is a wildcard. He's exactly someone I can see Gute taking a swing at but I find it hard to believe he would be available at #25. His young, he's a physical freak, guys like that gets drafted EARLY. History tells us that the first round is full of projections to the NFL, teams don't worry too much about college playing experience and they draft the freakiest of the freaky early. He's that guy.

I think its much more likely we want someone with LT experience but also projects well to moving inside. Barton is still in play for me and I honestly think Suamataia is in the picture. I also kind of wonder if Fautanu would be in play if he drops. He may not meet the height threshold but he ticks everything else. I would run to the podium if Fautanu is available. I think he might drop because he's short for a tackle and not many teams would use an early/mid first round pick on an interior lineman.

Corners get drafted early. They're always in huge demand. Having just two corners (Mitchell and Arnold) likely being drafted before our pick I find it hard to believe one or both DeJean and McKinstry would be available at our pick. Pick #25 is a long way down for these two to still be on the board. I'm not buying the Wiggins hype.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

We're drafting #25, we aren't getting a impact player like BTJ would bring at 25  

Were getting Kevin King, Datone Jones, Vonnie Holiday, Demarius Randall, Sherrod, type talent.  

I'm all in on BTJ, but if Gute goes in another direction I'm good with that too. I'd like to see BTJ though.

What if we get Kenny Clark or Bulaga?

6 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Or it means they had an extreme need at WR and still elected to risk not taking one with their first pick. It’s not a point for you like you think it is.

And they probably wouldn’t have taken Watson even if Wyatt wasn’t available.

They literally took Watson five picks later. Traded up 19 spots to make sure they got him. Cost two second round picks in total. 

I don't know what you're doing here. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Brian Thomas Jr, LSU, WR, but you have to understand what he would bring.  I dont want just any WR, he brings a skillset that would impact how defenses play us with Watson on the other side.  It takes the safeties out and opens the middle for Love to operate with Reed/Wicks/Doubs.  Instant impact on defenses. 

Okay. Thanks. Let me take a look.

I still say I think a "true #1 WR" is a trap. That kind of guy ends up being a focus of the offense and the QBs attention and that sucks s lot of the air out of the room for the other guys. I definitely think the Packers current situation is better, and I'm not against adding more guys, but I'd be looking more for complimentary pieces in rd 2-3-4 than a "true #1". I think the lack of predictablity in an offense that doesn't focus on anyone is more of an asset than having THAT guy is.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

They literally took Watson five picks later. Traded up 19 spots to make sure they got him. Cost two second round picks in total. 

I don't know what you're doing here. 

In what round?

Also, I hate when people say it cost 2 second round picks to get him.

No it didn’t. It cost A second round pick.

2nd + 2nd to receive a 2nd means it cost a second round pick to turn an existing second round pick into a higher second round pick.

Hey, you see 2 first round receivers as coincidence over 45 years with one of them coming from our worst GM and you go right ahead and see that as just coincidence.

I’ll see it as a team who doesn’t see WR as worthy of first round picks.

Edited by MacReady

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I still say I think a "true #1 WR" is a trap. That kind of guy ends up being a focus of the offense and the QBs attention and that sucks s lot of the air out of the room for the other guys. I definitely think the Packers current situation is better, and I'm not against adding more guys, but I'd be looking more for complimentary pieces in rd 2-3-4 than a "true #1". I think the lack of predictablity in an offense that doesn't focus on anyone is more of an asset than having THAT guy is.

Does that extend to tight ends? Because I think you can argue Gronk and Kelce are as close to #1 targets in the modern era as anyone, and those guys have both won a lot of rings. 

I'd consider each of these guys true #1 quality targets and each has made a Super Bowl over the last 15 years: 

Kelce
Kittle
AJ Brown
Tyreke Hill
Ja'Marr Chase
Cooper Kupp
Mike Evans
Gronk
Julio Jones
Randy Moss

1 minute ago, MacReady said:

In what round?

In the second. Are you really going to argue the Packers didn't consider Watson a first round value when they traded two second round picks (#28 equivalent on the Rich Hill chart) to get him? 

• Like 1

Just now, ReasonablySober said:

In the second. Are you really going to argue the Packers didn't consider Watson a first round value when they traded two second round picks (#28 equivalent on the Rich Hill chart) to get him? 

Was he a first round pick or was he picked in the second round?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Also. lol.

The Packers didn’t take Watson because Wyatt was there is literal proof the Packers put a higher emphasis on other positions.

We’d just traded Adams and we used our first round pick to draft a DT rather than a WR.

I love when people prove my point for me.

They tried to trade for a 1st round pick to take Watson. That's been reported countless times. They will take a WR in the 1st within the next 5-8 years. 

ILB though? They'd never take one of those....oh wait.

• Like 1