2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

9 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I'm pretty ignorant to NIL details, but how much of that 25 million is MJH going to see, and is a rookie contract possible that can match it?

let's say Harrison is a top 5 pick.  per overthecap (https://overthecap.com/draft) .. pick 5 is $24M signing bonus with $795K.  also 1 year closer to a 2nd contract that could be on the Diggs/Adams/Hill type deal

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

let's say Harrison is a top 5 pick.  per overthecap (https://overthecap.com/draft) .. pick 5 is $24M signing bonus with $795K.  also 1 year closer to a 2nd contract that could be on the Diggs/Adams/Hill type deal

Mmm hmm, so for the first year this is basically negligible. It only starts skewing towards the pros a few years later with that second contract.

Two things;

First, there's a real chance the dude ends up drafted on a wrong team(as in one that just perennially sucks and ruins everybody), gets his development stunted for a number of reasons, and fails to reach the upper tiers on his second contract, which might be worth the extra year in a relatively safe environment for both his earnings and his reputation.

Second, as much as this might be rollin' down the ol' highway of perceived bigotry, I don't think the present-day classes of graduates or underclassmen are much- if any- more savvy in the world of financial fiscability than their prior generation counterparts. In fact, I would say the NIL is more likely to ruin whatever gains the supposed rookie pay scale could have created. It might be more lucrative down the road for MJH to take an early shot at the pros, but the short-term option will probably appeal to him a lot.

29 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I doubt it will happen.  Harrison would lose a prime year of earnings down the road.  Their QB McCord just entered the portal, pretty risky going back for a new guy even though he's got to be better than McCord.

McCord was told to hit the portal because they were going to upgrade. 

27 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I'm pretty ignorant to NIL details, but how much of that 25 million is MJH going to see, and is a rookie contract possible that can match it?

If the rumors are true, who knows, the 25 million NIL deal would be for one year and he'd get it all. 

Assuming he's a top three pick, which seems likely, he'd get 35 million guaranteed over the life of a 4-year contract. He'd get roughly 25 of that in year one between bonus and salary. 

Which means OSU is trying to match what he'd bank in year one of his NFL contract. If we went that way, he'd get 25 from OSU in '24 and another 25' from NFL team in '25. 

The protection from the NFL is against injury but I'm sure he'd be insured with Lloyds of Londan in case of injury. 

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:
People, players like Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison are not going back to school. To pass up $35 million first contracts and delay second contracts, potentially worth hundreds of millions, for NIL money is pure folly. Please.

He’s right. Always been about the second contract, which is where so many sophomores and juniors go wrong. They try to start the clock on the second contract before they develop and end up washing out on an UDFA deal after a couple years.

Only player I’ve ever seen that looked NFL ready after his freshmen season was Adrian Peterson. I can’t think of a sophomore that would’ve made it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NFLGURU said:
People, players like Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison are not going back to school. To pass up $35 million first contracts and delay second contracts, potentially worth hundreds of millions, for NIL money is pure folly. Please.

Needs to be put at the top of every declaration list.  Guys who are slam dunk top 5 picks don't return for another year of college.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

He’s right. Always been about the second contract, which is where so many sophomores and juniors go wrong. They try to start the clock on the second contract before they develop and end up washing out on an UDFA deal after a couple years.

Only player I’ve ever seen that looked NFL ready after his freshmen season was Adrian Peterson. I can’t think of a sophomore that would’ve made it.

Adrian Peterson was probably the only NFL-ready freshman I could think of too.

3 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

No Bo?

3 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Derek Stingley Jr. as a freshman on that LSU national championship game would have gone in the first round if he were eligible.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

4 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Herschel Walker, Earl Campbell and Bo Jackson are on that list.