2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

27 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I mean Gute is going to take a player that he has graded for the slot if he thinks that player will improve the roster.  Fans tend to overthink this stuff.  The suggestion that Gute will pass on taking a WR in RD3 because we already have Malik Heath on the roster is not something I agree with.

Yeah, I don't disagree that there could be a scenario where a top WR falls into our lap. I'm just assuming, for the sake of this discussion:

1) We are only keeping 6 WRs going into next season

2) We are keeping Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks as our core offense pieces, and Melton as an ST/backup piece.

3) None of the WRs in the draft will drop a tier or two and wind up being a massive value for us. Certainly some will drop, but I don't think any drop far enough for use to justify taking them.

38 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I mean Gute is going to take a player that he has graded for the slot if he thinks that player will improve the roster.  Fans tend to overthink this stuff.  The suggestion that Gute will pass on taking a WR in RD3 because we already have Malik Heath on the roster is not something I agree with.

I don't think it was about Heath though. It was just about the whole group and even he has looked okay at times. 

Edit: looks like this was addressed. My bad

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not that Heath is on the roster, it's that he's the first name on the list whose snaps are replaceable. That's not a lot of open snaps, the others have earned theirs. 

don't forget half of Watson's snaps lost to hammy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

But that's kinda the point, even the snaps Watson loses to his hamstrings are going to Melton and Wicks. 

Again, I'm not saying this WR group can't be upgraded. I would just say that any upgrade will come from after pick 150 in the draft, barring some wild sequence of events where someone slides 40 picks to our second 3rd rounder or something.

We have to go DB, frequently and early. There is too much uncertainty in the secondary with Stokes likely an injury bust, the JA situation, the Douglas trade, and Savage a FA next season. I am not excited about spending high capital at the position after striking out so a lot during the 2010's (e.g., Haha, Rollins, Randall). Sure we hit on a couple players like Hyde and Hayward but we unfortunately didn't bring them back on a second contract. Give me a CB and S with two of our top 100 picks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

But that's kinda the point, even the snaps Watson loses to his hamstrings are going to Melton and Wicks. 

Again, I'm not saying this WR group can't be upgraded. I would just say that any upgrade will come from after pick 150 in the draft, barring some wild sequence of events where someone slides 40 picks to our second 3rd rounder or something.

Competition is a good thing for a young wideout core.  Got to keep these guys fighting for spots.  

3 minutes ago, Haha21 said:

We have to go DB, frequently and early. There is too much uncertainty in the secondary with Stokes likely an injury bust, the JA situation, the Douglas trade, and Savage a FA next season. I am not excited about spending high capital at the position after striking out so a lot during the 2010's (e.g., Haha, Rollins, Randall). Sure we hit on a couple players like Hyde and Hayward but we unfortunately didn't bring them back on a second contract. Give me a CB and S with two of our top 100 picks.

This is where I'm at too. Ballentine, Nixon, Owens, Ford are all free agents too. They're not all great, but there's a lot of snaps unaccounted for in 2024.

We have lots of positions that could use upgrading throughout this roster.  I dont think WR is high on that list, but I think if Gute takes one early (say top 4 rounds) he really, really likes him.  JMO

Edited by NFLGURU

27 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Ah, now I see.  I definitely misunderstood the point being made about pushing Heath off the roster.  Carry on.

This is not have internet chat boards are supposed to work....  :)

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Competition is a good thing for a young wideout core.  Got to keep these guys fighting for spots.  

Yeah I agree, but my interest in the draft is from a roster construction standpoint. You can certainly bring in competition, but your five top 100 picks should probably go toward the roster holes. If the BPA in your slot is a WR, then you have to figure out how to move spots. Bringing in competition is what you do with the later round picks.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

And that's the much bigger issue here. If you feel good about Watson's health, basically no need to touch the WR position with the depth already in place. Without Watson, suddenly you have a hole there. Guessing they'll roll with the risk either way in 2024, but that guy needs to get some damn help and fix that issue. We can withstand him missing a game or two every year, but 4-5 weeks twice a season is a killer.