2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, Haha21 said:

We have to go DB, frequently and early. There is too much uncertainty in the secondary with Stokes likely an injury bust, the JA situation, the Douglas trade, and Savage a FA next season. I am not excited about spending high capital at the position after striking out so a lot during the 2010's (e.g., Haha, Rollins, Randall). Sure we hit on a couple players like Hyde and Hayward but we unfortunately didn't bring them back on a second contract. Give me a CB and S with two of our top 100 picks.

The interesting part of this is the tie-in to the WR discussion going on.  Last year most people were adamant CB shouldn't be taken highly since we had Jaire, Rasul and Stokes.  Pre-draft couple came around to picking Gonzalez if he fell but most seemed against CB because of our depth.    If a WR is rated highly on the board I hope the Packers grab them instead of taking a lesser player at another position -- we aren't just picking for 2024 and rosters turnover too quickly in the NFL

• Like 3

Just now, packfanfb said:

And that's the much bigger issue here. If you feel good about Watson's health, basically no need to touch the WR position with the depth already in place. Without Watson, suddenly you have a hole there. Guessing they'll roll with the risk either way in 2024, but that guy needs to get some damn help and fix that issue. We can withstand him missing a game or two every year, but 4-5 weeks twice a season is a killer. 

I think they will roll with what they have and the Musgrave/Kraft duo will become a much bigger factor in 2024.  Kraft is really good, and we already know they love Musgrave.  Those guys will be instrumental in the 2024 Packers O.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

The interesting part of this is the tie-in to the WR discussion going on.  Last year most people were adamant CB shouldn't be taken highly since we had Jaire, Rasul and Stokes.  Pre-draft couple came around to picking Gonzalez if he fell but most seemed against CB because of our depth.    If a WR is rated highly on the board I hope the Packers grab them instead of taking a lesser player at another position -- we aren't just picking for 2024 and rosters turnover too quickly in the NFL

I am never for taking a lesser player because of need. I am for our GM doing what he did twice in the 2nd round last year, trade down and acquire a few more shots. Still got his man in Reed plus Wicks and Brooks. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

It's really only height though, he still weighs like 215.

Low center of balance, arguably the best vision in the draft. As a part time player he's going to be efficient. 

Madden wore thin for me quickly when I started seriously watching the NFL, but I still remember his comment regarding Joe Morris being "little" - "he's a big guy, he's just short" (Morris was 5'7" 195 lbs, so not super big; I know Travis Henry was 5'9" 235, which is a pretty tank-like frame)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Aaron Jones was 5091 208 when the Packers drafted him.  I think that second number matters more than the first when you're looking at an RB, since it's probably the single least height premium position in football.

BMI is a good metric for RB vs just weight

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

London, Pitts, Bijan.

Ridder was 3rd rounder.

I remember everyone telling me Bijan was just different, and it was OK to take him in the top 10. 

Pitts and London have been OK, but it's really hard to judge them with how bad the quarterbacks are that throw to them. 

22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

If there's a stud RB in the draft this year, this is a year you could convince me to overspend on a RB while you also shore up the OL.

Adding a stud rookie RB to this passing attack in year two? Perfect timing with contracts. 

So, any stud RBs to watch?

Personally, I'm a big fan of Trey Benson.   Medicals on his knee might be an issue with the Packers brass but he's a couple years and a load of missed tackles away from that.  Only 300 carries over the last two seasons so a lot of tread for a big, physical...and fast...runner.     

• Like 2