2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Rasheed Walker should be talked about more. 

What exactly do we have here? A high end athlete who's finally getting it? A mediocre athlete playing plus technique? I could look some of this up, but I'd rather get a couple sentence summary from people who know OL more than me.

He was a top 50 player in HS, #3 OT in the class. He's definitely a high end tools kid figuring it out. The head was the #1 reason he wasn't drafted higher. I think Bakh coming back for another season with Walker in the #6 OL spot and focusing on the weight room is the perfect plan. Maybe toss a 4/60 offer his way if you really like the year he has in development and you could end up with a bargain deal for high end LT play. He's gotta get stronger in his anchor and in the run game though to be a high end player. Right now you've got a great player against speed rush, average vs bull rush and a below average run blocker.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

ask @HighCalebR about him. I think he must have slept with his girlfriend or something because he hates the guy. 

He's been a lot better the last six weeks call it. 

That's just untrue. I've been very rational in my explanation of where I'm at with him. People say he's going to deserve a problem contract, I say no. People say we're winning because of him, I say no. I've even pointed out positives.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

That's just untrue. I've been very rational in my explanation of where I'm at with him. People say he's going to deserve a problem contract, I say no. People say we're winning because of him, I say no. I've even pointed out positives.

It is very nice to dream of a day when Walker is so good that he is going to deserve said "problem" contract.

And for the record, I've never been someone who says we are winning because of him.  He's improved during the year, as has most of the team.  And that is great.  But he's not a cornerstone tackle, yet.  He's passable.  There is upside there, but he's an average tackle right now.

And that is great for a 2nd year 7'th round pick starting at LT.

• Like 2

I watched my first college football game last night!  What a game!

Since I've seen Pennix talked about, I was really watching him and McCarthy for Michigan.

I like the composure and leadership of Pennix.  He missed some pretty easy throws.  I really don't like that throwing motion.  I don't know exactly who he reminds me of, but he looks like he has skills that can be developed.  Not early first for me.  Don't play him early, but there is talent there.

McCarthy.  Inconsistent.  But a gamer.  More of a manager.  Obviously I need to see more tape, but I think he's a late second or third round pick.  ...based on that game.

Loved that Michigan running back.  Corum.  Tough kid.  Very good vision and acceleration.  

I watched the LT for Washington, as I feel like he's a LT prospect in the draft.  Looks like an athlete.  Squatty.  Got pushed back more than I'd want to see.  Looks small compared to the guard next to him, but I feel like that guy was/is a Giant.  Pretty good feet.  I don't know.  Didn't wow me either way.  His build looked more like a guard.

I watched that WR for Washington.  #1.  Really like him.  Very smooth.  Thought he was faster than what he showed.  Could have been due to the defense around him.

I don't know, long way of saying the guy I liked most in the game was Corum, the RB from Michigan.  Came away most disappointed in Pennix Jr.  That throwing motion....

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He was a top 50 player in HS, #3 OT in the class. He's definitely a high end tools kid figuring it out. The head was the #1 reason he wasn't drafted higher. I think Bakh coming back for another season with Walker in the #6 OL spot and focusing on the weight room is the perfect plan. Maybe toss a 4/60 offer his way if you really like the year he has in development and you could end up with a bargain deal for high end LT play. He's gotta get stronger in his anchor and in the run game though to be a high end player. Right now you've got a great player against speed rush, average vs bull rush and a below average run blocker.

So if Walker can get the bull rush under control, we're talking Clifton?  I can live with that.

19 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

So if Walker can get the bull rush under control, we're talking Clifton?  I can live with that.

I don't think so.  Not from a body standpoint.  Cliffy had a great anchor.  Great lower body strength.  Just a different kind of power athlete versus what I'd call a more finesse athlete in Walker.  

Like Walker can run and move better than Chad ever could...in space.  Cliffy was better in a phone booth with that power.

When I see Walker, the best comp I can give him is that LT from the Ravens who was really hurt for a while.  Stanley, from Notre Dame.   I feel like he's that kind of athlete.  Forget the player and how he's performed, cuz Stanley has been great and he's been bad, due to injury.  But it's that frame that I'm looking at.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't think so.  Not from a body standpoint.  Cliffy had a great anchor.  Great lower body strength.  Just a different kind of power athlete versus what I'd call a more finesse athlete in Walker.  

Like Walker can run and move better than Chad ever could...in space.  Cliffy was better in a phone booth with that power.

When I see Walker, the best comp I can give him is that LT from the Ravens who was really hurt for a while.  Stanley, from Notre Dame.   I feel like he's that kind of athlete.  Forget the player and how he's performed, cuz Stanley has been great and he's been bad, due to injury.  But it's that frame that I'm looking at.

I'm just thinking more in terms of what Walker is good at, and working from the premise that he's already great vs speed rushers, average vs bull rushers, and not a good run blocker.  That makes me think elite pass protector who's marginal in the run game is a realistic outcome for Walker.  That's how I remember Clifton.