Thoughts on how the rest of the North did?

Spartacus

How can anybody look at the Bears draft and say they killed it. I'll pretend the RT is going to be a beast, not convinced, but I'll give you that. The RB might be good but it's a RB and they had to replace Montgomery. 

Dexter, Stevenson and Pickens, I just don't see it. 

Sewell, old school ILB, those dudes get exposed in today's NFL. I hope he starts, our TE's will feast. 

Also, the Bears had the #1 overall pick! If you want to add DJ Moore to this class I'll give them a B. The caveat is he's got Justin "One Read and Take off" Fields throwing to him. 

The Bears had a great draft.  Some of the early picks a bit unheralded, but overall plus draft for them

Viqueens blah.  Not terrible, not exciting but they had the resources they had.  Weren’t loaded with picks early.

Lions, wow. Reach central

Not sure what others are seeing in the Bears draft.   They got the 4th best OT in the first.   Don't think highly of Gervon Dexter at all, looks like TArzan but plays like Jane.   Don't think the 3rd round CB will be a plus player either. I'd rather they give the ball to Johnson at RB then have Fields running around. The best part of their draft is the 2024 picks accumulated.

The Viking didn't make themselves any better. Lose a WR and drafted a replacement.

The Lions got some talent that will help them but should have gained a lot more than they did.  They continually chase filling holes rather than gaining the best talent at the important positions.

Also I noticed that the Bears moved to exactly one pick before us in the 4th and 5th. Nothing personal to their players but it’s now imperative that they bust completely and our guys excel there. Picking like a jealous little brother will get you nowhere, Bears. 

Think the Bears and Packers had the better drafts. Think I understand what the Lions did. They spent the last two drafts building up their trenches and pass rush while drafting some good skilled players like St Brown and Williams. Guess they were satisfied with their DL, OL, and pass-rush talent so they went after luxury picks early that they felt wouldn't be there when they picked again.

The Lions having the fewest roster holes to fill in our division is probably why they drafted the way they did.

I was critical of the Vikings draft last year also and they went on to win the division. Who knows maybe they do it again.

But on paper, the Bears scare me more than the rest. Remember, they were averaging 30 points a game without great weapons last year.

They have weapons this year and will have a much better defense.  Plus they'll have plenty of cash to spend after the June 1 cuts. Look out for the Bears they're not done.

Edited by St Vince

I like Jahmyr Gibbs.  But what I don't understand about the Lions, is they spent to replace two good RBs this offseason.  Am I crazy to think that Williams and Swift were a really good tandem?  That was 2100 yards and 25 TDs, that they just turned around and paid an outside FA and used a top 15 draft pick on.  They fixed a hole that they wouldn't have had if they didn't actively make it.  Let's say they still trade down from 6.  Don't the Lions look better on paper with Christian Gonzalez, Jamaal Williams, D'Andre Swift, than they do with no CB, Jahmyr Gibbs, and David Montgomery?

I don't dislike the picks.  But I do not share their vision of the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like Jahmyr Gibbs.  But what I don't understand about the Lions, is they spent to replace two good RBs this offseason.  Am I crazy to think that Williams and Swift were a really good tandem?  That was 2100 yards and 25 TDs, that they just turned around and paid an outside FA and used a top 15 draft pick on.  They fixed a hole that they wouldn't have had if they didn't actively make it.  Let's say they still trade down from 6.  Don't the Lions look better on paper with Christian Gonzalez, Jamaal Williams, D'Andre Swift, than they do with no CB, Jahmyr Gibbs, and David Montgomery?

Heard because they weren't going to pay Swift, and they lowballed Williams out of town. Either way I think they squandered their capital. 

I understand the players the Lions took, but they kind of got bad value for all of their premium picks except for maybe Hooker (who wasn't a guy I thought much of anyway.)

Like there's a realistic chance that Hooker never becomes an NFL calibre starter, that Campbell is a liability in the passing game, that Gibbs tops out as a change of pace/receiving threat because he can't block or run inside, that Branch is just a nickel back, and that LaPorta follows the normal TE trajectory of "he doesn't do anything for 3-4 years."  This is not an unrealistic outcome for a team that was on the precipice of contending and won't have this much draft capital any time in the near future.

I think this has the potential to be a disastrous draft for the Lions, like 2015 for the Packers.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

They miserably failed the value test. 

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Imagine offering Jamaal Williams a decent contract instead of Montgomery and being able to sit there at 6 and draft Jalen Carter instead, or Gonzalez if you didn't want to take a chance on the best player in the draft. 

If you drafted Carter at six and then took Campbell at 18, you'd be forgiven. 

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

When you see how he can disengage from blockers after they have locked on, I don't think 'plays like Jane' is appropriate.

Right, there is no plays like Jane to his game. He has a very strange get off, but after that he is a beast on the field.