2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

36 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Most of those guys aren't coming off of major knee/foot surgeries.

Really sucks that two of our best young defensive players are both coming off of major injuries.

You didn't read the quote I replied to. He said, 'Not sure if he'll ever be 100% again, but I sure hope so.  And even if he is, not sure he'll get back to how good he was first half of his rookie season, when he just ran and mirrored guys.'

Context matters!

28 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But what does that have to do with playing against second and third stringers in the preseason so Clifford and Ettling can target Duece Watts and Bo Melton?  Starting him at guard last season will be a head scratcher for a long time.  But what is wrong with having a true center taking back-up reps in preseason?  Lucas Patrick was pretty bad for a couple of years too.  Trust the process.  

Really shouldn't be.

45 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But what does that have to do with playing against second and third stringers in the preseason so Clifford and Ettling can target Duece Watts and Bo Melton?  Starting him at guard last season will be a head scratcher for a long time.  But what is wrong with having a true center taking back-up reps in preseason?  Lucas Patrick was pretty bad for a couple of years too.  Trust the process.  

Because personally I'd rather have somebody who could potentially take snaps IF needed and not be an absolute turnstile. 

The guy looks like Jane and plays like Jane. I just do not see the potential there. 

7 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Because personally I'd rather have somebody who could potentially take snaps IF needed and not be an absolute turnstile. 

The guy looks like Jane and plays like Jane. I just do not see the potential there. 

Did you see it with EDS, Lucas Patrick, or Lane Taylor?  These guys all turned out just fine.  

Chances are that he doesn't make it.  But why not give him a chance after an injured rookie season, and a sophomore season where he was mostly out of position at  guard?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Did you see it with EDS, Lucas Patrick, or Lane Taylor?  These guys all turned out just fine.  

Chances are that he doesn't make it.  But why not give him a chance after an injured rookie season, and a sophomore season where he was mostly out of position at  guard?

None of those guys have the obvious size/strength deficiencies that Hansen has. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I hate the comparisons you're making with these guys. I have not witnessed any of them get manhandled and ragdolled the way Jake did. Performances like that should get your *** instantly fired in any industry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Lane Taylor...heh, heh heh.  I'll never forget when @AlexGreen#20 called his play on the field "hot garbage".

Lucas Patrick was always fine.  He just got better, but he wasn't Jake Hanson bad when he played early.

And EDS was a center only and he too never failed to the extent that Hanson did.

I despised Marco Rivera when he was young.  He only went to Pro-Bowls and became a top 10 guard in the league for many years.  I think he got really good just to spite me.

Mike Wahle.  Dude failed big time at tackle.  Became a great guard.

Yeah, some times guys need time.  I can give Hanson time.  I just don't want him starting any time soon.  If he is, then we really drafted poorly with Walker and Rhyan...and made a mistake keeping Williams around.  They really should surpass Hanson with ease.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

None of those guys have the obvious size/strength deficiencies that Hansen has. 

I thought Hanson was small, too.  But Wiki has him at 6'4''.  300 pounds.  

I wonder how inflated those numbers are, because he just looked small on the field.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Lane Taylor...heh, heh heh.  I'll never forget when @AlexGreen#20 called his play on the field "hot garbage".

Lucas Patrick was always fine.  He just got better, but he wasn't Jake Hanson bad when he played early.

And EDS was a center only and he too never failed to the extent that Hanson did.

I despised Marco Rivera when he was young.  He only went to Pro-Bowls and became a top 10 guard in the league for many years.  I think he got really good just to spite me.

Mike Wahle.  Dude failed big time at tackle.  Became a great guard.

Yeah, some times guys need time.  I can give Hanson time.  I just don't want him starting any time soon.  If he is, then we really drafted poorly with Walker and Rhyan...and made a mistake keeping Williams around.  They really should surpass Hanson with ease.

The Hanson stuff has taken off way more than I expected.  All I was saying is to let him play his natural position, center, during the preseason games against the second and third teamers rather than keep guys with future plans like Zach Tom or Elgton Jenkins deep into preseason games.  Hanson has played center, and can snap the ball effectively.  Remember when they tried Barclay at center, and he had never done it?

If he plays well, then good you keep him around.  If he stinks again, then cut him. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I wonder how inflated those numbers are, because he just looked small on the field.

He weighed 303 at the Combine but the Packers list him at 296. My guess is he bulked up in prep for the combine, but plays at less weight than that. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Ignoring everything else . . . Look at him on the field competed to the other guys. Are his shoulders as wide? Is his chest as deep? Are his thighs as thick? 

6 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You didn't read the quote I replied to. He said, 'Not sure if he'll ever be 100% again, but I sure hope so.  And even if he is, not sure he'll get back to how good he was first half of his rookie season, when he just ran and mirrored guys.'

Context matters!

They need to start getting more aggressive on defense and stick to it.  Stokes is a press man cover guy with more than enough make up speed to make up ground .. or at least he was.

Hanson benched 33 times at the combine, so his upper body strength is likely good enough. Scouting report though, points to lack of lower body strength. 

Weaknesses
  • Lacks desired density and natural girth in lower body
  • Despite his technique, will struggle to stalemate forceful two-gappers
  • Needs help to create movement at point of attacks
  • Snap to step quickness just average
  • Could struggle to keep upfield rushers out of the A-gap off the snap
  • Snap consistency has plagued him
  • Too many ground-ball snaps in 2018 and pop flies in 2019