2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

Thanks, @squire12 for the play-by-play.  

What stood out for me in the snippets was Tyler Davis getting good work in.  Not expecting much, but if he were to turn into a solid contributor, I think that helps the development of the two rookies as well.  

Also, Love seems to be air-mailing some passes early on.  I think he can clean it up.  I think he is super close to being really good, but he isn't quite there, yet.

Not sure where he is on the depth chart, but I think Innis Gaines makes this roster.  As much as I liked SJC, I don't think he does.  

I think the OL is a strong unit.  If the defensive front is holding their own, I see that as a positive sign.  

6 hours ago, StatKing said:

We shouldn't have traded Davante. Really not doing the kid any favors this year with the guys we have around him. Going to be a real sink or swim type year for him.

What were we going to do? Turn off the salary cap?

Our weapons will be fine.  The WRs are super talented and young.  They are also fast.  The TEs can finally move.  And we still have two very good RBs behind what should be a very, very good OL.  

This isn't a year where it is Super Bowl or Bust.  This isn't even a year where it is playoffs or bust.  This is a year to build the proper foundation for an open window from like 2024-2030.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What were we going to do? Turn off the salary cap?

Our weapons will be fine.  The WRs are super talented and young.  They are also fast.  The TEs can finally move.  And we still have two very good RBs behind what should be a very, very good OL.  

This isn't a year where it is Super Bowl or Bust.  This isn't even a year where it is playoffs or bust.  This is a year to build the proper foundation for an open window from like 2024-2030.

The salary cap isnt real but thats beside the point. We should have traded Rodgers high after back to back MVPs and resigned Davante to a long term deal. Giving Rodgers that huge contract and trading him after one year still makes no sense to me. Just setting Love up to fail if we don't provide him with atleast one proven high end pass catcher. 

1 minute ago, StatKing said:

The salary cap isnt real but thats beside the point. We should have traded Rodgers high after back to back MVPs and resigned Davante to a long term deal. Giving Rodgers that huge contract and trading him after one year still makes no sense to me. Just setting Love up to fail if we don't provide him with atleast one proven high end pass catcher. 

This is something a lot of us on the board were espousing for a long time. This is also something you mocked everyone for even considering. 

Welcome aboard but don't act like this was your stance all along because it wasn't. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Thanks, @squire12 for the play-by-play.  

What stood out for me in the snippets was Tyler Davis getting good work in.  Not expecting much, but if he were to turn into a solid contributor, I think that helps the development of the two rookies as well.  

Also, Love seems to be air-mailing some passes early on.  I think he can clean it up.  I think he is super close to being really good, but he isn't quite there, yet.

Not sure where he is on the depth chart, but I think Innis Gaines makes this roster.  As much as I liked SJC, I don't think he does.  

I think the OL is a strong unit.  If the defensive front is holding their own, I see that as a positive sign.  

some dude on GB reddit posts them.  i just copy from there and paste it here.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I mean it was one game...and he was coming off Covid...think you're grasping at straws trying to pin anything on Davante for the Chiefs game. 

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Not pinning the game on him. There was more than one occasion where he didn't make much of an effort for the ball. Balls he looked like he could have gotten to. 

I have nothing against Adams, but it was clear he wanted no part of that game. If he was still sick, he should have sat out. 

I have a hard time seeing Davante not trying on purpose or anything like that. IIRC when Rodgers was out with injury a few years back Davante played pretty well with Huntley while Jordy did not. Had the walk off TD vs Cleveland.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

This is something a lot of us on the board were espousing for a long time. This is also something you mocked everyone for even considering. 

Welcome aboard but don't act like this was your stance all along because it wasn't. 

I will fully admit that it wasn't my stance at all.  I probably would have paid Davante, and let Aaron Jones walk.  I also wouldn't have drafted Love, but I wouldn't have drafted "weaponz" for Rodgers with that pick either.  Looking at the draft and doing my remembering game, I would have probably taken either Ross Blacklock or Antoine Winfield Jr. or maybe Patrick Queen.  So with GM Dave, I would guess we still don't win any championships, and we have an aging QB with no succession plan.  We would still have Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, and Zach Tom though, cause I would have picked them with my first three picks, LOL.

But StatKing is doing his negative schtick, and it is oh so tiring.  The skill position players on the roster only lack for experience.  They stink just as much as I am sure that Davante, Cobb, and Jordy did as young players.  And Rodgers was never going to succeed after Favre.  And Gute is a stupid GM, just like Thompson and Sherman.  And Wolf would have been stupid if message boards were a widely used thing at the time, and Braatz was stupid... okay, you got me on that one.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Leader said:

Surprised folks are still haggling over the "should we have traded the MVP for the last two seasons" matter.

Just wait until Love has his first loss or multi-interception game as the starter. It's gonna be unbearable.

5 minutes ago, Striker said:

Sadly, the Sherman tenure probably would have been better if random fans were allowed to decide the moves that were made.

The Sherman era shined the spotlight on the problem with coaches making the personnel moves, he had zero interest in the draft and development of draft pick, and it didn't take long for the depth issues to rear its head. 

• Like 1

The one issue I seem to disagree with most people here is the very, very good OL. I'm skeptical. We have one very very good player, Jenkins, and one potentially very very good player, Tom. Bahk is playing on one leg, and I'm skeptical he will hold up over 17 games, much less playoffs. Then we have Meyrs, Runyon, and Nijman, three so-so players. Rhyan might develop. Jones might develop. But calling this group a very very good OL is a stretch for me. I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, R T said:

The Sherman era shined the spotlight on the problem with coaches making the personnel moves, he had zero interest in the draft and development of draft pick, and it didn't take long for the depth issues to rear its head. 

I always felt that the Sherman era has been misunderstood.  I think the goal at the end of Wolf and the tenure of Sherman was to get that one piece to put the team over the top.  They were pretty reactionary drafters, and didn't really build the core of the team very well.  I think from 98 onward, they were in win-now mode, despite probably not having a win now team.  That also falls on the GM, no doubt.  It was a miscalculation for sure.  But I think I can see what both Wolf and Sherman were trying to do from 98-05.  And I kind of wonder, if they could have taken a step back and had a more even approach like Thompson, if they wouldn't have actually found more success.