2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Name another OT with a big contact that doesn't have a ton of that years cap money already paid out in bonuses. Name another OT that has a 40-million-dollar cap hit this year and is still on that team playing. 21 million is not chump change. Bak would not help the Packers be restructuring and pushing money down the road this year. I don't believe he has any intention of signing an extension with the Packers. I also believe he knows the Packers want to lower his 40 million dollar hit to the cap. 

I really don't see anyway he works with the Packers unless Jordan Love looks like a guy who can get them to the Super Bowl next year and the Jets don't look like a team getting there. 

Why would we want to extent a guy who' has hardly played since he got his extension a few weeks prior to the ACL? He still can't practice and we don't know if he's making it through 17 games. IMO it's highly unlikely he does. 

Catch me up.  What are you driving at here?

Bakh contract, on Spotrac, shows no dead money via void years.  He's at the end of his deal, which means that cap numbers increase.

I looked at Spotrac, and the top contracts at LT are mostly structured this way.  The one that had void years was Tyron Smith.  Decker looks like another one with a void year, but only for 3.9M.

The thing about Bakh is his age, the other guys are younger and earlier into their second deal.  Bakh is older and at the end of the deal.  A very large deal.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Catch me up.  What are you driving at here?

Bakh contract, on Spotrac, shows no dead money via void years.  He's at the end of his deal, which means that cap numbers increase.

I looked at Spotrac, and the top contracts at LT are mostly structured this way.  The one that had void years was Tyron Smith.  Decker looks like another one with a void year, but only for 3.9M.

The thing about Bakh is his age, the other guys are younger and earlier into their second deal.  Bakh is older and at the end of the deal.  A very large deal.

.1. We are not going to keep Bak at a 40 Million cap hit next year.

2. Not going to extend him at premium T money. 

3. He did not help us by allowing us to move money this year, won't next year. 

4. He looks to be angling to go join Rodgers next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

Anders seems like a good, calm guy and I hope he does well.  I like having a big leg.  I don't mind inconsistency this year, **IF** it's hypothetically on the path to being reasonably accurate next year and beyond.  We're not winning the Super Bowl this year anyway, he's not going to be choking any field goals that cost us a win deep in the playoffs.  

*IF* we hypothetically don't even make the playoffs, *IF* he hypothetically misses a field goal and costs us a regular-season win, who cares?  It just elevates our draft picks.  And if MLF gets a little more creative and aggressive with 2-point conversion-attempts or going for it on some 4th downs, that might be fun.    

Kickers can take a little time so I am glad they're showing patience with him. I know he's a Bisaccia guy so I think he will definitely be given all the chances in the world to develop and keep the gig.  

Edited by Toddfather
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

.1. We are not going to keep Bak at a 40 Million cap hit next year.

2. Not going to extend him at premium T money. 

3. He did not help us by allowing us to move money this year, won't next year. 

4. He looks to be angling to go join Rodgers next year. 

And you asked for other tackles, why?  When I look at their deals, most are similar to Bakh's.  His is just a little larger on that last year.

Not disputing what you are saying, just curious as to why you brought in other tackles to the conversation.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And you asked for other tackles, why?  When I look at their deals, most are similar to Bakh's.  His is just a little larger on that last year.

Not disputing what you are saying, just curious as to why you brought in other tackles to the conversation.

Because the person I was discussing with was saying it's really a 1-year deal for 21 million because the other 19+ million was already paid out. There won't be any starting LT or RT with a cap number close to 40 million next year. That was my point. 

No way GB allows Bak to play with that cap number. It simply can't happen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Because the person I was discussing with was saying it's really a 1-year deal for 21 million because the other 19+ million was already paid out. There won't be any starting LT or RT with a cap number close to 40 million next year. That was my point. 

No way GB allows Bak to play with that cap number. It simply can't happen.

K.  Got it.  

I can easily see us extending him, though and lessening that cap hit.

I can also easily see us releasing him to gain that cap space.

It all depends on how the season goes.

But in financial terms, you are right, no tackle is a 40M cap hit for 2024, except for Big Dave.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

K.  Got it.  

I can easily see us extending him, though and lessening that cap hit.

I can also easily see us releasing him to gain that cap space.

It all depends on how the season goes.

But in financial terms, you are right, no tackle is a 40M cap hit for 2024, except for Big Dave.

You correctly stated we wouldn't take Marvin Harrison Jr. based on our drafting history. I'll tell you with 99.999% confidence, we are not extending Bak based on our history. I don't think any of the others we let go had to have a lessened workload because of a bum knee. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Right but why can’t we re-sign Yosh.  Jones has gotten good reviews as well. That’s 4 decent OT’s. Not sure we need to look at OT in the first round as of now. 

What makes you think Jones hasn't gotten good reviews? I saw three practices, and I thought he looked good. He seems to have done well overall in 1 on 1 pass rush drills.

11 OT's have average salaries (cap hits) ≥$18/year.  19 are ≥$15/year.  So $21 isn't crazy.  But yeah, those include signing bonus dollars.  

I had suggested that rather than talking about the $19 sunk-cost from signing bonus, the Packers would really only consider the $21/1 that Bak would actual cost next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

You correctly stated we wouldn't take Marvin Harrison Jr. based on our drafting history. I'll tell you with 99.999% confidence, we are not extending Bak based on our history. I don't think any of the others we let go had to have a lessened workload because of a bum knee. 

Based on our history.....

We are the team that continued to pay the corpses of Chad Clifton and Bryan Bulaga.

There is precedent in GB for paying and playing an aged tackle, even an injury prone aged tackle.

If it is one thing we know how to do, it is how to keep those guys healthy enough to play on gamedays.

Again, it depends on how this season goes AND whether or not Bakh wants to stay here for his entire career.

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

Kickers can take a little time so I am glad they're showing patience with him. I know he's a Bisaccia guy so I think he will definitely be given all the chances in the world to develop and keep the gig.  

Agree with them giving him the opportunity.  I think they like the leg strength.  The issue will be kicking in the cold.  If he's missing in August, the temps and winds of Lambeau in Nov/Dec won't be kind.  Hoping for the best for him.

• Like 1