Weight Loss tips and techniques

32 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

My point is "hypertension", specifically, is a systemic condition and not because someone ate a few more grams of salt than recommended. 

There's a lot at play with mineral balance and hormones in the regulation of blood pressure, like not having enough potassium or having high too insulin.

Lots of studies have been done on sodium intake. In non-hypertensive individuals, it usually varies by a few measly points in systolic, with a little less difference in diastolic. In hypertensive individuals, it's maybe a few points more. Some individuals, especially healthy ones, are not that sensitive to sodium. Insulin, blood sugar and obesity are probably bigger factors and directly cause hypertension than a few extra grams of an essential mineral. If you really wanna drop excess fluids from your body, stop with the grains and sugar. And if you cut out processed foods, you can salt your meats and vegetables without a concern because it's really hard to consume an excess of sodium that way. (And because salt is only half sodium)

I get your point and agree with the premise to some degree.

People with hypertension need to avoid excess sodium, more or less hard stop.  Lots of data on that one.

I will agree though that in general it’s much harder to over consumer sodium in the form of table salt though.  People who are eating lots of sodium are typically doing so eating processed foods and restaurant prepared foods.

People eating fresh foods, cook at home and use a reasonable amount of salt to season their foods appropriately aren’t nearly as likely to have those excessive intakes.  I honestly have this conversation far more often than you’d imagine at work.  “But I don’t add any salt my food!  I just eat deli meat, canned soup, pretzels, etc…” 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 3

I mean, let's be real here:

If you have to add salt to your food post cooking, you're cooking it wrong 90+% of the time. Salt should be used pre-cooking to lock in the moisture and add taste to your protein, and 90% of veggies can be cooked with healthier oils like olive oil...or smaller amounts of butter. Use some nice herbs and that'll help out a lot.

My suggestion for most would be to invest in a nice plethora of spices and dry rubs. It's a complete game changer.

If in doubt, you can use salt, pepper, garlic, and either olive oil or butter for most things.

I do like avocado oil occasionally as well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, let's be real here:

If you have to add salt to your food post cooking, you're cooking it wrong 90+% of the time. Salt should be used pre-cooking to lock in the moisture and add taste to your protein, and 90% of veggies can be cooked with healthier oils like olive oil...or smaller amounts of butter. Use some nice herbs and that'll help out a lot.

My suggestion for most would be to invest in a nice plethora of spices and dry rubs. It's a complete game changer.

If in doubt, you can use salt, pepper, garlic, and either olive oil or butter for most things.

I do like avocado oil occasionally as well.

I think the only thing I ever add salt to after cooking is corn on the cob, and even then, sometimes I just enjoy local corn plain especially if it’s grilled.  Maryland corn, especially the Eastern Shore variety, is just so sweet.  

I definitely have a huge selection of spices, and also trying to do an herb garden at some point too.  Even Amazon has a starter indoor garden kit for less than $40. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think the only thing I ever add salt to after cooking is corn on the cob, and even then, sometimes I just enjoy local corn plain especially if it’s grilled.  Maryland corn, especially the Eastern Shore variety, is just so sweet.  

I usually am content with the cracked black pepper, but I do occasionally add some salt as well. The sweet corn here in Ohio can be a bit sweet too...but like you said, if you're able to grill it and get a good char on it without burning it, then the smoke and char balance it...otherwise, if boiled, yeah I'm adding salt. :) 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I definitely have a huge selection of spices, and also trying to do an herb garden at some point too.  Even Amazon has a starter indoor garden kit for less than $40. 

If you end up doing an herb garden, I'd recommend containing it to a few boxes or they'll overtake your yard, especially fresh mint (which I highly recommend btw). Fresh rosemary, cilantro, mint, and then if you do more "Italian" type cooking with oregano and basil can be nice.

Greek oregano, mint, chives, and thyme are all perennials as well, so they'll come back each year.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I usually am content with the cracked black pepper, but I do occasionally add some salt as well. The sweet corn here in Ohio can be a bit sweet too...but like you said, if you're able to grill it and get a good char on it without burning it, then the smoke and char balance it...otherwise, if boiled, yeah I'm adding salt. :) 

If you end up doing an herb garden, I'd recommend containing it to a few boxes or they'll overtake your yard, especially fresh mint (which I highly recommend btw). Fresh rosemary, cilantro, mint, and then if you do more "Italian" type cooking with oregano and basil can be nice.

Greek oregano, mint, chives, and thyme are all perennials as well, so they'll come back each year.

The garden kit I got my girlfriend has the individual pots too, so that solves that problem.  But we are definitely looking to do something bigger in the boxes.  

What the additional salt problem all boils down to is laziness while cooking/prepping IMO.  A lot of people don’t know how to cook, but like someone said above, there is a crap-ton more sodium in processed foods and going out.  It’s crazy how bloated I feel if I eat anything but a steak/pork chop and veggies at a restaurant, and even if I get those things, I know I retain more fluid than normal for a couple days after eating.  

• Like 1

Lots of good meal ideas and food info in here.  My biggest problem is pre-COVID I was eating super healthy, but incredibly boring meals.  I lost a good amount of weight but now every time I try to start eating better again I just get so bored.  I truly hate grocery shopping, I really need to be better about just buying healthy ingredients that can be used in many different meals throughout the week.  So many times I go and buy stuff to make one exciting meal and then when that's gone it's takeout or fast food.  

6 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Lots of good meal ideas and food info in here.  My biggest problem is pre-COVID I was eating super healthy, but incredibly boring meals.  I lost a good amount of weight but now every time I try to start eating better again I just get so bored.  I truly hate grocery shopping, I really need to be better about just buying healthy ingredients that can be used in many different meals throughout the week.  So many times I go and buy stuff to make one exciting meal and then when that's gone it's takeout or fast food.  

What do you consider "boring"? Can you give an example of what you would eat then but are bored w/ now?

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

What do you consider "boring"? Can you give an example of what you would eat then but are bored w/ now?

I don't eat breakfast so my day was greek yogurt, a sandwich with low calorie bread (usually something like turkey and some sort of mustard), a small bag of chips, and then maybe a tiny dessert for lunch.  My "cheat" meals would just be a bowl from chipotle that I kept as low calorie as I could  Dinner was a lot of baked chicken with various rubs/spices and then a veggie like asparagus, green beans, or brussel sprouts.  

The lunches are fine, I can eat that most any day.  Like I mentioned my biggest issue is just grocery shopping and having a stock of base foods to make fun and different dinners.  When I was doing this, grocery shopping was so easy, just buy a ton of chicken and veggies and make that every night.  Now I'll shop and make a fun meal like once a week but when that runs out a day or two later I'm back to eating like crap.  

Edited by flyers0909

22 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

I don't eat breakfast so my day was greek yogurt, a sandwich with low calorie bread (usually something like turkey and some sort of mustard), a small bag of chips, and then maybe a tiny dessert for lunch.  My "cheat" meals would just be a bowl from chipotle that I kept as low calorie as I could  Dinner was a lot of baked chicken with various rubs/spices and then a veggie like asparagus, green beans, or brussel sprouts.  

The lunches are fine, I can eat that most any day.  Like I mentioned my biggest issue is just grocery shopping and having a stock of base foods to make fun and different dinners.  When I was doing this, grocery shopping was so easy, just buy a ton of chicken and veggies and make that every night.  Now I'll shop and make a fun meal like once a week but when that runs out a day or two later I'm back to eating like crap.  

Do you ever try themed meal weeks? I dunno, something my wife and I did to keep things interesting (liking leftover is a must). Maybe also stray away from chicken every other week as well.

For instances, we would have like a "Mexican week" themed meals where I'd make enchiladas one night that would last us a couple days, then quesadillas the next time, etc. Chicken is certainly a "boring" food for sure but it's also so versatile. I would do like I said above but also stuffed chicken w/ pesto and mozz, baked in marinara is so easy and adds a nice change to the boringness that chicken is. I also like to get pork loins. Pretty cheap and versatile as well while not adding too much in terms of calories and fat (especially if you trim it) while being very inexpensive. Not sure if you're a fan of seafood or not but while more expensive, definitely a great way to break up the monotony especially w/ salmon and how versatile it is as well.

Just some thoughts and personal experiences that help me. Lunches are always usually just power greens, rotisserie, cheese, and mustard for dressing though lol. I'm boring as can be w/ this. Will change it up every now and then w/ a smoothie though but try not to b/c of all the sugar in fruit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 5:13 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

eggs are super helpful imo, one of the most satiating foods for me.

Eggs are kind of game changer.

I used to not really be a "egg person".  But I became a real egg dude.  The problem is...you can make eggs punch hard if you're doing things like omelets...but the way i started to really like eggs is on toast or as part of a sandwich that might even include a bagel.  So it can go hard in the other direction quickly.  But i think it's still a super important part of giving yourself that "filling" meal overall.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:47 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

There are some good natural soda alternatives out there. I don't drink Diet X any longer and avoid additional sugars at all costs but if you like soda, Zevia and Green Cola are two that I enjoy that use a natural sweetener. I'm sure someone can say if they have any ingredients to avoid and I wouldn't be surprised if they do this day and age. 

Anyway, keep up the good work!! Avoiding excess sugar will drop weight very quickly.

I'm trying to get to my lowest weight I've been in since my freshman year of college and I'm well out of college these days. One thing I started doing was using mustard as salad dressing. I only eat power greens, chicken, and a small amount of cheese so it's not fruits are involved where mustard would be awful. Obviously one has to like the taste of mustard but it's probably my favorite condiment so it's easy for me lol. Dressings have so many oils and are high in calories as well. If they can be avoided, it will help tremendously.

lmao.  All those "soda alternatives" give me serious heartburn and i'm allergic to mustard.

On 5/16/2023 at 5:58 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah quickly perusing this you’re eating a lot of bull**** calories/carbs.  This stuff isn’t satiating nor does it provide any nutrition.

Im a fan of keto (for short periods anyway, as a tool) and don’t vilify any particular food groups, but much like all fats aren’t the same, neither are all carbs. Processed stuff like bread, pasta, etc., is more or less nutritionally pointless and are going to cause the glucose spikes that drive hunger.

Eat the burgers without buns, same with the meatballs.  Pasta is a filler tbh, it’s a cheap, easy way to get calories.  If you’re trying to lose weight I’d skip it entirely.  Same with most cereal, it’s highly processed sugary nonsense.  I’d treat it like a dessert. 

For tacos, pizzas, wraps, etc, I eat these.

https://olemex.com/products/la-banderita-carb-counter-carb-lean/

Just 45 calories a pop and a ton of fiber (which is a key component of a lot of satiating foods).

I don't entirely subscribe to this mentality.  Yes, it's a lot of carbs.  But for me at least...carbs are the only thing that truly fills me up.  I ain't a wait loss guru, but in terms of overall health, i think they're important element of a balanced diet.  The problem is...if you're eating tons of carbs, you're gonna have to be doing tons of activities to burn them off.  It's easy to eat a ton of calories worth of carbs.  It's more difficult to burn them off.  

I love carbohydrates.  I eat tons of them with every meal.  Partially a cost thing, but mostly just...i never feel full unless i've had some carbs with my meat.  But you definitely have to be aware of the calories that's adding...and do something to counterbalance that.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:00 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To add to this, if you’re getting a gallon of water or so a day it’s even less of an issue.  You’re gonna be pissing a lot of it out, same if you’re sweating a lot.

This is where i've always found it so easy to meet "health guidelines" or whatever.  Drinking a gallon of water a day is easy.  My problem is entirely different, where my need to be constantly drinking something can transition to alcoholism.  That need to constantly have something at hand.  That's where my calories come from.  Sorta flashing back and forth between liquor and just drinking like 12 litres of water per day.

Blessing and a curse i guess.  Easy to drink about a billion litres of water per day.   But also way too easy to accidentally drink a ton of Tequila per day.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:15 AM, MWil23 said:

Weight loss/in shape update:

Down to 171.2 pounds as of this morning with a resting heart rate at 64 bpm. Despite eating relatively "bad" this weekend, I went back and tracked that I've been working outside a lot doing some very light work, namely gardening. Side note- It's awesome, I don't even care that it makes me sounds like an old person.

So, aside from lifting about 3 days a week, hitting the 12,000-20,000 "steps" each day has really burned a lot of calories and clearly my body is responding positively to the added Vitamin D.

I've even been able to enjoy a serving of neat bourbon each evening without any side effects...it's telling that a lot of my sleep issues up until the last few weeks are that I've been too sedentary despite getting some workouts in. 

12-20k steps seems like a significant range.  But it's awesome that whatever you're doing is working for you.  Honestly, that's possibly been the biggest thing for me too.  I moved somewhere where i just inherently clock 10-20k "steps" per day.  I've never really calculated it, but i know that from others who have visited, that's the range i typically fall into.

I think that can get lost in the picture at times.  But just walking a bunch of miles every day can be a total game changer for those calories you're burninig.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:12 AM, Sugashane said:

So I'm down from 313 and just over 260 now. Due to fear of damaging my own fragile ego, I'm losing weight very slowly because the weights I can put up in the gym are slowly going down. Its normal, I'm losing leverages that aided my lifts. I'm being irrational, I know... lol

4. Don't drink your calories. Soda adds so damn many that a lot of people top well over 1000kcals just from drinks. I do one coffee, then a bottle of water, then a diet soda, then a bottle of water. Just rotating gets me to down a ton of fluids.

10. Take progress photos. Same day weekly, same lighting, same time (asap on Sunday mornings after taking a leak for me). Sometimes you will see the scale might not show the entire story. I've recently retained water and saw that visibly but the scale didn't move. So I was 90% sure I lost a pound or so but was retaining water from my cheat day. So no changes were made.

11. Try to gain a little muscle or strength. You raise your BMR when you add muscle, and if you are lucky enough to gain muscle while losing fat then the weekly progress pics will help discern that.

12. If lifting or adding cardio, ramp it up slowly. There is nothing wrong with only being able to really jog 1/2 a mile, just walk another half. Give 2-3 days and try to make it 1/10 of a mile further on the jog. If you can, great! If not, just walk the other half like normal. Progression isn't linear and it may come in spurts. That's fine and perfectly normal.

Drinking calories is still my big point.  It's so easy to drink so many calories.  Alcohol or not...it's just so many calories.  Fortunately, outside of alcohol...i tend to drink about zero calories.  What's in a cup o' tea? 

Trying to gain strength is also a thing.  I've never really had to content with this...i'm a small man and my body kinda maxes out at 190ish.  I've been a lean 175 or less when i was younger.  I've been a heavier 180.  I've been a lean 180.  But my body seems to kinda hold itself to account and falls somewhere in that range.

I think obviously you're working with a much bigger frame.   That's still an insane amount of weight dropped.  But keep going imo.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:12 AM, Sugashane said:

15. Make micro-goals. Don't put that you want to lose 100 lbs in a year or anything crazy. To me this goes to small things like making your bed in the morning. It is just a small win, and with micro-goals you can stack them. ALSO - note that your initial progress will not be as sustainable later on. Going from a 135lb bench to 185lb is going to be quicker than it will to go from 185lbs to 235lbs. Then 235lbs to 285lbs will take even longer, and require more dedication, intelligent programming, etc. Dropping a minute from a 14 min mile is easier than dropping one from an 8 minute mile. Don't get frustrated when progress slows! That's just how the body works. Sustaining alone is an awesome achievement.

17. Rest days aren't evil. Especially when you've progressed a lot over the course of 8-12 weeks, sometimes you need to deload. Your muscles recover quickly but you know what doesn't? Tendons and ligaments. I call it blasting and cruising when I am training hard as hell for 8-12 weeks. When I hit a wall and feel like crap, I take a week of just light work. Mobility work (that I admittedly completely disregard during my blasts), a few straight sets in the gym with only 1 exercise per bodypart, or even just skipping a workout to shoot around. Dog might get double walks instead of doing any more intense cardio. Gains WILL NOT leave you after a week unless you're a top level athlete like an Olympic lifter. And that isn't even due to strength, it is due to technical form more anyway and will be back after a few sessions.

20. Understand WHY you are doing what you're doing, and make sure it is intrinsic. Want abs to get girls? Might work, but what happens if you don't get them because of other issues? Jumping from goals of wanting to bench 300lbs to be a bodybuilder to wanting to run a sub 20 min 5k time means you're not really sure of what you want, and your progress isn't going to be worth a damn because you're being too inconsistent. Also you may think you've just failed 3 different goals when you never gave yourself a real shot for any of them. The mind can be an idiot. Make a smaller SMART goal and have a reason for it that means something to you. Knock that out and decide if you want to progress more on that (or those if more than one) and make another when you get that done. Don't leave goals unaccomplished to weigh on you. If it takes four months instead of two, it is NOT a failure. It was still a success even if it was delayed from what you initially hoped.

These are are critical aspects to the process.

Understanding "rest days" is so critical.  When i started getting myself back in shape...i needed those rest days so badly.  It doesn't even have to be a "day off"...if you can just walk around or rollerblade or do something else "low impact"...that's the biggest thing.

On 5/17/2023 at 2:26 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lots of great points, but I’ll add to these.

Great advice, especially when you’re maybe starting out and not as familiar with being hungry.  Not like “I could eat” hungry, but like just got done with 2 hours of exercise on an empty stomach hungry.  

“I was just too hungry/tired” isn’t an excuse when the food’s ready to eat.

Yep.  Micro goals with dates you want to achieve them. SMART goals, as you mentioned.  If you don’t know what a SMART goal is, Google it.

They’re 100% necessary, ESPECIALLY in a caloric deficit.  

Sure, the bro on YouTube or tiktok is a “grinder” who doesn’t take days off.  Ok.  They may also be on god knows how much gear and also completely full of ****.

You need sleep, time and calories to adequately recover.  You’re already limiting one of those variables just by dieting. 

Plan those rest days and enjoy them.

Or even your younger self.  Hormones are a thing and what you did 20 years ago isn’t relevant.

You’re not likely going to lose weight as fast, gain muscle, recover as quickly, have the same endurance, etc as you once did if you’re over 35 or so.

Personally speaking I’m 40 and probably as strong as I ever was as far as weights/reps, but my endurance isn’t the same and I don’t recover as quickly.  If I kick my *** in the gym I might feel it for the better part of a week for that muscle group.  Tendons and joints don’t take the punishment either.  I generally won’t lift heavy any longer because of the associated joint pain and risk of injury, it’s just not worth it to me.  

And all of this is ok.  I’m older.  It happens. 

I ain't that old quite yet, but i'm coming up on it...

But this has been basically the opposite of my experience.  I've lost a lot of the explosiveness i used to have, but i've developed a lot more endurance over time.  

On 5/17/2023 at 4:42 PM, Sugashane said:

I've been lucky enough not to get a real back injury. Did switch to sumo deads since I felt like I was getting a grinding when I was doing conventional deads. Have you tried front squats? Or one-and-a-half squats? Weight is way lower but the TUT is great, makes for a hell of an intensity technique.

I have some McDavid knee sleeves and wear them on my arms for pressing. The elbow sleeves feel like they give a little better support at the bottom of the reps but I feel like I get better overall compression from the knee sleeves. They keep the joints warmer too.

Part of it is the weight gain. I was a 'huge' WR at 220ish lbs in college. Well I almost got over 100lbs over that. While I'm only 45 pound higher now, that is a lot when we haven't been keeping the same movement patterns. My ankles and feet hurt when I started running routes again, and since I can't sink into my routes I put even more stress on the lower joints. Ugh. But you might be in the same kind of boat. I'm hoping I can figure a way to get more athletic training back into my workouts. Could really get into a Juggernaut system that is more "in-season" or even go back to the WS4SB. That's what my oldest two are doing.

For sure. Reality is often pretty bitter. But I look at where I was in Jan of 2021 and I'm pretty damn happy. Now I'm just hoping I can keep the kiddos improving but not let them be reckless about their fitness like I was about mine. Train more like Jay Cutler than Ronnie Coleman, so to speak. Now I am trying to essentially be George DeFranco when I'm 70.

pic_gdefranco.jpg

That's a big WR for sure.

I never had a shot at hitting anywhere near 220lbs and i was a LBer or really...a moneybacker hybrid if we're generous.

Dang i know some OLinemen i played with who probably struggled to hit 220lbs.  lol.

Kudos on getting it back in check.  That's a lot of weight to lose.

On 5/18/2023 at 5:56 PM, incognito_man said:

From a general health perspective (and a very effective weight loss perspective):

1) Avoid cheap dopamine.

Often this is free sugar for a lot of people. Avoid free sugar as much as possible. Don't eat food that has any added sweeteners to it. This extends to zero-calorie sweeteners as well. Practice a MUCH less sweet diet in general.

2) Avoid nutrient poor cereal grains. Yes, they're everywhere and hard to avoid. Pass on wheat, corn and rice as much as possible. Get your carbs from nutrient dense veggies, starchy tubers and grains.

3) Don't eat meat that doesn't have a "natural" life. Factory farming is the worst. 99% of biomass in the US is trash. All the costs have been externalized. One of the biggest ones is our collective poor health. Eat plant based as much as possible and otherwise eat meat that eats its natural food and can move freely across the ground.

Best advice I could give is to become familiar with Mark Sisson. He's an exemplary nutrition resource:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

This is a real sticking point for me.  It honestly probably has a lot to do with my location.  I don't even have a an objection to what you're saying in a lot of ways.  But i happen to live in a place where we've got an abundance of non-engineered protein.  Those plant-based proteins are really not the miracle you think they are.  Those things aren't created without a LOT of engineering.  On top of the issues that come from eating a soy/pea based diet and the lack of nutrients that provides.

On 5/23/2023 at 8:04 AM, MWil23 said:

You've gotta be careful if you're gonna grow a mint though.  They're absolutely delicious in a Mint Julep, a Mojito, etc.  

You're also fortunate in that those sorts of herbs come back every year.  That's not necessarily the case up northern way.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:57 AM, flyers0909 said:

Weird that you hate grocery shopping. I love it.  It's an endless worth of possibilities of "what's for dinner?".  

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

General warning to everyone here to please NOT try a 40 day water fast like Russel Okung recently did. You will probably die.

I'm assuming you'll also tell me not to do meth for rapid weightloss either? Weirdo.

• Like 1