Raider Team Activity Talk (Minicamps, OTAs, Training Camp)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:
The Athletic's Tashan Reed reports Jimmy Garoppolo underwent foot surgery after signing with the Raiders. 

Garoppolo is expected to miss the Raiders' OTAs. Reed said Jimmy G's recovery timeline is unknown but "the sense is that the team is confident he'll be ready to play by the start of the regular season." 

Lol. This dude is made of glass. We'll be lucky to get 5 games from him

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:
The Athletic's Tashan Reed reports Jimmy Garoppolo underwent foot surgery after signing with the Raiders. 

Garoppolo is expected to miss the Raiders' OTAs. Reed said Jimmy G's recovery timeline is unknown but "the sense is that the team is confident he'll be ready to play by the start of the regular season." 

Apparently they found out during his physical and was the reason for the delayed introductory press conference. Knew there was something more to that. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, raidr4life said:

But I think everybody has expressed that it was bad value, and have now have moved on. It's more that the anti jmd/ziegler crowd wants to continue to use it as a grievance against this FO. Then the let's be patient crowd is being accused of defending that pick specifically if you get what I'm saying. Saying let's see how it plays out doesn't mean you agree with all their moves.

But this is exactly what I’m saying. You can’t just agree with me. You have to still defend defend defend, while agreeing. 

• Like 1

They knew his foot wasn’t 100% and needed surgery to get him closer to HIS 100% (which ain’t a true 100, let’s face it) and still signed him, the writing was on the wall with Jones, but they gave him a contract that had zero outs. But hey, they have “patriot” ties and know the system. I’m sorry, both moves are “questionable “ at the least. So yeah, my already slim faith is being tested. The end. 👍😎🤣

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 12:40 PM, bucksavage1 said:

Some of us like to take this part of the offseason to be optimistic instead of pessimistic 

Noboby knows how this season will go   ,So why not look at the moves as the glass half full instead of half empty?

The hate this new regime has been getting isn’t warranted yet

I spent the last 25 years being blindly optimistic… 

But when some people can’t accept that some moves deserve criticism there’s something wrong with them.  There’s been plenty of good moves that get praised.  But there’s also been plenty of suspect moves too.  

I have no issue with the “let’s be patient crowd” if they’ll accept the basic premise some mistakes were made (all teams make mistakes) and we hope their learned from.  

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, true2form said:

Apparently they found out during his physical and was the reason for the delayed introductory press conference. Knew there was something more to that. 

if we found out there was an issue… why didn’t we pull the offer and tell him we’ll give him a lesser deal?  The guys hurt and needs surgury and let’s be honest who else was offering him a starters job and the pay that comes with it?  Sometimes you gotta take advantage of changing circumstances and renegotiate.

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

How I personally think/feel about the off-season.

That’s how I felt until I learned Jimmy G got hurt between agreeing on the phone and showing up to the building.

geeze…. This guys the nfl version of Tony Ferguson (mma-ufc) tripping on a wire and tearing up his knee at the pre fight press conference.

the whole point of bringing him in was he knew the offense… but if he can’t work with the team during training camp and preseason I just don’t see him Jumping out there and playing well week 1.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 1:17 PM, raidr4life said:

Who has defended it literally everybody in the draft thread knows it was a reach…

Ugh… take a guess.  BP!

“ Carter is 30. Tucker and Mayer who some say was a luxury pick are about the future.

Everyone keeps saying the Raiders are rebuilding, but then argue against picks that hope to pay dividends in the future. They preach BPA, but only if it's a named guy who plays a position that is a need I guess?

Draft good players and you'll be a good team” - BP

Sounds like a defense of the pick to me.  Thankfully the future slot WR3 is locked up for the next 4 years now.  That’s a relief!

I mostly disagree but respect your positions… but if your defending the sticker at 100 Pick …: smh I don’t know what to say that’s BP for ya

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

if we found out there was an issue… why didn’t we pull the offer and tell him we’ll give him a lesser deal?  The guys hurt and needs surgury and let’s be honest who else was offering him a starters job and the pay that comes with it?  Sometimes you gotta take advantage of changing circumstances and renegotiate.

Yes, this would have been a good option to try but I think our FO had backed themselves into a corner and lost a lot of leverage and Garoppolo and his agent knew that. The whole QB thing from the time we sat Carr onwards has been poorly handled IMO. Hopefully it all works out, but we’ve gotten far from optimal results from several aspects of this whole ordeal. It’s tough to be optimistic about this part of the plan………..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yes, this would have been a good option to try but I think our FO had backed themselves into a corner and lost a lot of leverage and Garoppolo and his agent knew that. The whole QB thing from the time we sat Carr onwards has been poorly handled IMO. Hopefully it all works out, but we’ve gotten far from optimal results from several aspects of this whole ordeal. It’s tough to be optimistic about this part of the plan………..

I get what your saying… but as someone that negotiates deals daily… I’d have try to crush the price down on his agent…. Put out the rumor we’re Hot to trade for Rodgers.  Seriously what other team was going to pay jimmy g over 10m?  I don’t see anyone doing that.  We paid full price on QB whose got to have surgery still… that’s the worst type of hurt because you don’t know if the surgery was successful yet and there’s no progress made on the recovery.

didn’t we just give him more guaranteed money up front in the redoing of his deal… who redoes a deal so quickly, smh.  The logic here is just wild imo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s how I felt until I learned Jimmy G got hurt between agreeing on the phone and showing up to the building.

geeze…. This guys the nfl version of Tony Ferguson (mma-ufc) tripping on a wire and tearing up his knee at the pre fight press conference.

the whole point of bringing him in was he knew the offense… but if he can’t work with the team during training camp and preseason I just don’t see him Jumping out there and playing well week 1.

Good thing they said he should be ready by TC

14 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I may be in the minority here but I don’t mind if we suck this season. Caleb and Drake Maye are worth the 1 year of misery 

I’m 100% with you. But if these jerk offs win six or seven games, I’m gonna go nuts.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I’m 100% with you. But if these jerk offs win six or seven games, I’m gonna go nuts.

I can guarantee that we do exactly that.   Simply for the fact that we can’t have nice things.   We’ll end up just outside of the running for Williams and Maye.

• Like 1