Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

4 hours ago, TVScout said:

Which QB was more of a cancer in the locker room?

Favre was probably the more beloved teammate but Rodgers being bad in the locker room was blown out of proportion. Most former teammates minus a few jaded WRs loved playing with him. Rodgers was probably more of a pain in the *** to the front office since he knows he’s smarter than everyone and wants them to know it too but I still think Favre had more offseasons of retirement soap opera waffling. I’ll never not love what both QBs did for my team but happy we moved on and seemed to have a real plan in place each time. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TVScout said:

That depends on each individual QB prospect. Natural QBs like Elway, Montana, Marino, Brady, and some others can be thrown to the wolves because they already know how to shoot. The guys that don't go on the regular season field usually have major flaws with mechanics. That was the biggest obstacle for Romo and now Trey Lance. Garoppolo and many others had to travel the same path. Dak might have been a better QB if the plan to let him sit for a year or 2 wasn't ruined by Romo's back.

The biggest obstacle for most rookie QB's who are "thrown to the wolves" is that they have too much to learn while playing with a bad supporting cast.  

Elway was a genuine "generational" talent who was ready to step immediately.  Same thing could be said for guys like Peyton and Luck, but not many others.

Montana and Brady both sat until year 2.

Marino was a late RD1 pick (#27) who landed in a great situation.  The Dolphins were coming off a SB appearance, but had a mediocre QB in David Woodley.  The 80's Dolphins making as many SB appearances with Woodley at QB as they did with Marino is one of the NFL's fun facts.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Elway was a genuine "generational" talent who was ready to step immediately.  Same thing could be said for guys like Peyton and Luck, but not many others.

You've got to wonder how long of a rope Elway and Manning would have gotten as rookies in today's game. 

Elway had a losing record, less than 50% completion percentage, and twice as many INTs as TDs. Manning went 3-13 and threw the most INTs ever by a rookie. 

Both the players and teams would face constant criticism in today's 24/7 news cycle and who knows how they would have handled that. 

Edited by wgbeethree
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, TVScout said:

Which QB was more of a cancer in the locker room?

13 hours ago, Refugee said:

Favre was probably the more beloved teammate but Rodgers being bad in the locker room was blown out of proportion. Most former teammates minus a few jaded WRs loved playing with him. Rodgers was probably more of a pain in the *** to the front office since he knows he’s smarter than everyone and wants them to know it too but I still think Favre had more offseasons of retirement soap opera waffling. I’ll never not love what both QBs did for my team but happy we moved on and seemed to have a real plan in place each time. 

Didn't Favre have his own locker room or something? 

(this isn't @Refugee) Who's said they didn't like Rodgers as a teammate or that he wasn't a good teammate? Greg "please clap" Jennings? People are letting recency bias get to them too much. Rodgers was a pain one offseason then won 2 MVPs after that and then got us some sweet draft picks and now plays for the Jets.. He's gone now and we have Love (someone who Rodgers is very cordial towards and helpful with compared to Favre with young Rodgers btw). Let Rodgers do his thing in NY and we'll enjoy watching Love here. It's over, people need to just move passed it for good.

I think there's going to be "leadership questions"  any time you end up with a QB who is more than a decade older than the people he's throwing the ball to.  Like if you're 39 year old Rodgers and you're seeing 22 year old Romeo Doubs run the wrong route, whatever you say is going to get read as a "kids these days" sort of complaint.

You saw a little of this with Rodgers' ultimate year as a Packer with the news breaking that he was irate that his WRs didn't understand his secret hand signals.  Whereas the news about Love and his WRs is that they hang out together in the offseason because they actually enjoy each other's company.

I think this is going to be a problem for any QB who plays well into his late 30s or early 40s, since WR is a young person's position, and it's compounded when the QB in question is kind of a weird dude already.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Refugee said:

If you want to appreciate what a QB has done for your team, you may well have to separate the man and the position.

As QBs, Favre was good and Rodgers was better, but their personalities could grind some people. Favre did far worse things towards the end than Rodgers ever did, but Rodgers could annoy people too, especially later in his career.

If you can separate the man from the position, you can love what each did for the team, which is easier for some people than others. Personally I find it far easier to 'forgive' Rodgers than Favre, meaning I found it easier to enjoy what Rodgers did, years later. I also tend to live 'in the now', so I am not one to replay past games very often at all (almost never in fact) where your viewpoint replaying a game may be coloured by earlier behaviour.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Posted (edited)

Even ignoring all the post GB stuff, Favre literally wanted to go to a rival to rub it in the Packers faces, and you can say it was the management he was upset with, you are also inherently doing that to us as fans. I don't believe he actually thinks that was wrong rnd regrets it so why would I forgive him? 

At least Rodgers just wants to "show them" through success elsewhere. That's fair and reasonable. It was time to part ways on both sides.

And that is only covering how both left Green Bay. Not getting into Favre's post Packers conduct. Not getting into personalities either

Edited by spilltray
  • Like 1

Don’t want to read into it too much but kind of sounds like the contract is a done deal.

https://x.com/lilyszhao/status/1813312740225687928?s=46&t=fptgYtQ-rJhbexsz_O7tFQ

Edit:

eh, maybe not… this adds context where that’s not the case

https://x.com/mikeclemensnfl/status/1813317395592741008?s=46&t=fptgYtQ-rJhbexsz_O7tFQ

Edited by Arthur Penske

Love has been coming out of his shell lately.  Pretty cool dude.  As far as his play seems like he's a cross between Rodgers and Favre.  Gotta a little bit of gunslinger mentality but pretty good protecting the ball.  As far as the contract is concerned Love's agent is probably wanting to reset the market.  Packers side probably needs to see more before giving him that kind of cash.  I'm not so sure that this doesn't drag into the regular season.  Sure both parties want it done before training camp but that is no hard deadline.  

We'll see what transpires but if I'm the Packers I wouldn't feel any sense of urgency if Love's agent is asking for top dollar.  Let him play on his final year see what happens.  They can always franchise him if that becomes necessary.  A deal will get done eventually of that I'm pretty confident.  No later than midseason. 

Favre wanted to go to the best team he could play for without completely learning a new system, he honestly should have won a SB in Minnesota - but he did Favre things. Favre transcended football, Rodgers is just a top 5 qb of all time (I say "just" only to mock other fan bases).

The welfare crap is warranted, but Jesus. He was a dumb alcoholic from a town where being a HOF football player was virtually impossible, playing for his dad who refused to throw the football. Brett just happened to have probably the greatest arm of any human being ever. Football is literally inconceivable to me without Brett Favre, he's right alongside Bo Jackson and Walter Payton to me. He's like if Tim Tebow was good and actually cool. Chico is one thing, Kiln Mississippi is another. I know we all know this, I just needed to say it. I mean, I might even go as far as to say that if you don't shed a few tears at the Favre documentary (which you may or may not force people to watch on your birthday because it's the only time anyone will let you play that), you're not a Packer fan, and more importantly you might not be a football fan.

But here's the real thing, I just listened to Cowherd take up like 5 minutes of his insufferable podcast talking about how Rodgers only has 1 come-from-behind playoff win, and how he finds it unbelievable, while obviously low-key blaming Rodgers. It's like we literally lost four NFC championship games to four different teams who had all-in seasons (outside of the Bostick game), and pretty much lost in the divisional round outside of that. We literally either got beat by the team that won the SB (or should have in AtL's case) or had some kind of team-wide meltdown that left Rodgers with no chance (ie Seattle or the Kaepernick game). It's also a stupid stat that doesn't give him credit for the Dallas game(s) or the Janis shenanigans, or the facemask in the Warner game. Not to mention the cobb throw when Kuhn chipped Peppers, or the Nelson bomb after Chicago tied it, or the hail-mary against Detroit. I will literally never forget those moments, not because I haven't had better ones in my life, but because rarely am I anticipating something unbelievable to happen - except every time I watch Aaron Rodgers. I actually noticed it started to breed a kind of resentment, where I was like "man I know you can flick a ball off platform 70 yards, so do it".

Love has already given us the Dallas game. Honestly, that might be in my top three (with the caveat that I've been in some weird spots abroad for the two SB's), I still think that regardless Favre's game against Oakland, Rodgers 2010 ATL game, and Love's Cowboys game are gonna be the one's we remember.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

Favre wanted to go to the best team he could play for without completely learning a new system, he honestly should have won a SB in Minnesota - but he did Favre things. Favre transcended football, Rodgers is just a top 5 qb of all time (I say "just" only to mock other fan bases).

The welfare crap is warranted, but Jesus. He was a dumb alcoholic from a town where being a HOF football player was virtually impossible, playing for his dad who refused to throw the football. Brett just happened to have probably the greatest arm of any human being ever. Football is literally inconceivable to me without Brett Favre, he's right alongside Bo Jackson and Walter Payton to me. He's like if Tim Tebow was good and actually cool. Chico is one thing, Kiln Mississippi is another. I know we all know this, I just needed to say it. I mean, I might even go as far as to say that if you don't shed a few tears at the Favre documentary (which you may or may not force people to watch on your birthday because it's the only time anyone will let you play that), you're not a Packer fan, and more importantly you might not be a football fan.

But here's the real thing, I just listened to Cowherd take up like 5 minutes of his insufferable podcast talking about how Rodgers only has 1 come-from-behind playoff win, and how he finds it unbelievable, while obviously low-key blaming Rodgers. It's like we literally lost four NFC championship games to four different teams who had all-in seasons (outside of the Bostick game), and pretty much lost in the divisional round outside of that. We literally either got beat by the team that won the SB (or should have in AtL's case) or had some kind of team-wide meltdown that left Rodgers with no chance (ie Seattle or the Kaepernick game). It's also a stupid stat that doesn't give him credit for the Dallas game(s) or the Janis shenanigans, or the facemask in the Warner game. Not to mention the cobb throw when Kuhn chipped Peppers, or the Nelson bomb after Chicago tied it, or the hail-mary against Detroit. I will literally never forget those moments, not because I haven't had better ones in my life, but because rarely am I anticipating something unbelievable to happen - except every time I watch Aaron Rodgers. I actually noticed it started to breed a kind of resentment, where I was like "man I know you can flick a ball off platform 70 yards, so do it".

Love has already given us the Dallas game. Honestly, that might be in my top three (with the caveat that I've been in some weird spots abroad for the two SB's), I still think that regardless Favre's game against Oakland, Rodgers 2010 ATL game, and Love's Cowboys game are gonna be the one's we remember.

He stole millions from the poor = welfare crap? Lmao.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

I'm pushing back on the "best team he could play for" thing. He had a lot of homies in Minnesota he wanted to play with as well. 

It is really unnecessary to try to pretend that "show up the Packers coaches and executives who don't think I"m good anymore" wasn't part of the decision-making process for Favre.  That's kind of part of the whole deal for any player who leaves another team in a context where they feel insufficiently appreciated.

Which is why it's pretty funny that the Packers finishing 2nd last season means they didn't get the Jets this year, and they will continue to not play the Jets until 2026.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It is really unnecessary to try to pretend that "show up the Packers coaches and executives who don't think I"m good anymore" wasn't part of the decision-making process for Favre.  That's kind of part of the whole deal for any player who leaves another team in a context where they feel insufficiently appreciated.

Which is why it's pretty funny that the Packers finishing 2nd last season means they didn't get the Jets this year, and they will continue to not play the Jets until 2026.

AR would love to beat the Pack. I hold it against him as a Packers fan but totally understand from a competitive standpoint. Still much different wanting to beat your former team and going to a division rival, especially if they are just a QB away from being a top contender. If AR stays in NY and even if he were to beat us in a SB, that would sting terribly but still not be as treacherous as Favre going to Min.