What are some of the most hyped up pre season teams ever?

CP3MVP

In this thread we are going to talk about teams that got a Ton of hype(more so than regular championship team hype) prior to the season starting and now they fared during the season. Also asking was the hype justified and did you agree/disagree with the hype  at the time. I’m  going to start off with my team and a team that’s close to my heart

2017 Patriots

People forget about the buzz for this team coming into the year. USA today famously picked them to win all their games, there were numerous articles and discussions asking is this going to be the best pats team ever, one of the best offenses ever, and can they realistically go 16-0.

You have to understand the background. The team went 14-2 the prior year(11-1 with their starting QB) winning by an average of 2 TDs a game when he was in the starting lineup. They destroyed the AFC playoffs and then won the title. This was without Gronk the back half of the regular season and the entire playoffs. The major players were all back and in the offseason they add Brandin Cooks and Stephon Gilmore. 

Well Julian Edelman was lost for the year in preseason and the defense started off really terribly. They started 2-2 and went 11-1 down the stretch with the best offense in the league. Brady Won MVP, they blew out the titans and beat the jags to advance to the Super Bowl. In a shootout they lost 41-33. They fared better  than 99% of these hyped up teams but still fell short 

4 hours ago, August4th said:

2000 Redskins 

I was on that bandwagon. I had them and the Colts going to the Super Bowl. 

Another team that was hyped up by some was the 1996 Chiefs. Coming off of a 13-3 season, SI had them going to the Super Bowl and winning it. However, that 13-3 record was a mirage, and they came back to earth in 96 somewhat, going 9-7. 

27 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The 2015 colts after added player like Andre Johnson and Frank Gore is another one

Really? I feel like everyone knew those dudes were washed at that point. Two of my all-time faves, but Gore had slowed down & Andre was due to fall off the cliff, especially given his play style was all about being a freakasauraus.

Plus, the Colts defense, IIRC, was a dumpster fire.

19 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Really? I feel like everyone knew those dudes were washed at that point. Two of my all-time faves, but Gore had slowed down & Andre was due to fall off the cliff, especially given his play style was all about being a freakasauraus.

Plus, the Colts defense, IIRC, was a dumpster fire.

I agree but despite that, they were among the super bowl favorite for 2015.Only the seahawks and the packers had better super bowl odds that the colts before the 2015 season!

2015 NFL Preseason Odds | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The colts were overhyped by the medias but not by the fans

Edited by Steelersfan43
  • Like 1