2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

27 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think it is. I think an Eifert injury would over expose Shaheen and Trubisky.

I don't see how given the progression we seen from both towards the end of the year...my concern is paying big for a guy we all hope is nothing more than a #2/flex TE...I just get Charles Clay vibes and I don't think that warrants the money.

38 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think it is. I think an Eifert injury would over expose Shaheen and Trubisky.

Or maybe it would take the kid gloves off and speed development along. Shaheen will probably never be Kelce but if we don’t put him in the role full on he definitely won’t. Cohen got thrown in the deep end last year and is much better for it. Trubisky got thrown in the deep end last year and is better for it. The fastest way to find out if they can be what we want them to be is to actually put them in that role. Nagy said on The Score when hired that he didn’t think it was appropriate to expect this team to be a playoff contender yet. If that means another development year then by all means USE IT. We lost out on a lot last year with Shaheen by babying his role. Doing so again this year would be incredibly stupid especially if we are entering the year without legit playoff aspirations. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Or maybe it would take the kid gloves off and speed development along. Shaheen will probably never be Kelce but if we don’t put him in the role full on he definitely won’t. Cohen got thrown in the deep end last year and is much better for it. Trubisky got thrown in the deep end last year and is better for it. The fastest way to find out if they can be what we want them to be is to actually put them in that role. Nagy said on The Score when hired that he didn’t think it was appropriate to expect this team to be a playoff contender yet. If that means another development year then by all means USE IT. We lost out on a lot last year with Shaheen by babying his role. Doing so again this year would be incredibly stupid especially if we are entering the year without legit playoff aspirations. 

He might, but you have to be prepared that he won’t. I won’t assume that he is going to thrive in an huge role, I am going to protect myself and Trubisky with a viable backup who won’t be injured.

There will be plenty of work for Shaheen and another TE. 

But there is a chance that Shaheen struggles and you can’t have your backup plan or your support TE on IR.

If he does struggle then you don’t want that bleeding over to Trubisky. You want to be able to support Trubisky with another TE.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't see how given the progression we seen from both towards the end of the year...my concern is paying big for a guy we all hope is nothing more than a #2/flex TE...I just get Charles Clay vibes and I don't think that warrants the money.

Charles Clay is always hurt. He is a fine player when he is actually playing and not banged up, which is almost never.

I get a Gerald Everett vibe, who was super useful and versatile for the Rams and allowed them to change formations without changing personnel.

Burton will replace Sims money. They have already shown they have no issue with paying a 2nd TE. I think the Bears will probably target the TEs 150 times which is plenty of work for both Shaheen and Burton, especially when you consider the blocking Shaheen will be asked to do.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

He might, but you have to be prepared that he won’t. I won’t assume that he is going to thrive in an huge role, I am going to protect myself and Trubisky with a viable backup who won’t be injured.

There will be plenty of work for Shaheen and another TE. 

But there is a chance that Shaheen struggles and you can’t have your backup plan or your support TE on IR.

If he does struggle then you don’t want that bleeding over to Trubisky. You want to be able to support Trubisky with another TE.

$7-8M per for Burton isn’t a backup plan though. That’s paying a guy top 12 money at his position. Guys like Richard Rodgers or Luke Willson are capable in case Shaheen struggles backup plan type guys. Good depth is what insulated against Shaheen struggling, not paying starter money for another guy who, by the way, isn’t exactly strongly established either. There’s a fair bit of projection with Burton too. What we saw of Shaheen in the passing game role was good - we just needed to see more of it which from all appearances had far less to do with his ability than Fox and Loggains being Fox and Loggains. 

Shaheen doesn’t need to “thrive” to be successful in a bigger role. If he gets 80 targets and from that produces 55 catches and a handful of TDs that’s a solid piece that will still be growing into year 3. If he’s a 16-game starter and used properly I don’t think that’s an outlandish expectation at all. Plus for all the talk about guys who will mesh well with Trubisky, he and Shaheen already have that ground work laid. 

I know a lot of people won’t like the idea but I think Jordy Nelson for a year-two would be really ideal for Trubisky. Elite/savy route runner, sure handed, veteran, leader, would be a good mentor if paired with a Marqise Lee type and a 2nd/4th round rookie.

Marqise Lee

Jordy Nelson

Cam Meredith

Kevin White

Marcel Ateman

That would be a really solid group for Trubisky. I expect a ton of Cohen in the slot as well

1 hour ago, pigsooie5 said:

I know a lot of people won’t like the idea but I think Jordy Nelson for a year-two would be really ideal for Trubisky. Elite/savy route runner, sure handed, veteran, leader, would be a good mentor if paired with a Marqise Lee type and a 2nd/4th round rookie.

Marqise Lee

Jordy Nelson

Cam Meredith

Kevin White

Marcel Ateman

That would be a really solid group for Trubisky. I expect a ton of Cohen in the slot as well

I haven't been following if Nelson is being talked about being cut, but I for one would love it. 

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

$7-8M per for Burton isn’t a backup plan though. That’s paying a guy top 12 money at his position. Guys like Richard Rodgers or Luke Willson are capable in case Shaheen struggles backup plan type guys. Good depth is what insulated against Shaheen struggling, not paying starter money for another guy who, by the way, isn’t exactly strongly established either. There’s a fair bit of projection with Burton too. What we saw of Shaheen in the passing game role was good - we just needed to see more of it which from all appearances had far less to do with his ability than Fox and Loggains being Fox and Loggains. 

Shaheen doesn’t need to “thrive” to be successful in a bigger role. If he gets 80 targets and from that produces 55 catches and a handful of TDs that’s a solid piece that will still be growing into year 3. If he’s a 16-game starter and used properly I don’t think that’s an outlandish expectation at all. Plus for all the talk about guys who will mesh well with Trubisky, he and Shaheen already have that ground work laid. 

Why not get 55 catches and a handful of TDs from Burton as well?

Burton is a more intriguing player and has more upside than a number of WRs we are going to pay similar money to.

He also allows us to go hurry up and change formations without changing personnel. To me that is more than worth swapping out Dion Sims.

If it makes people feel better let’s call Burton a WR,

Luke Wilson is going to get 5 million/season. Dion Sims and Rhett Ellison got 5-6 million. I would also be happy with Wilson, I think he is under rated as a receiving threat.

Richard Rodgers sucks.

What makes Burton more attractive is that you can use him and Shaheen on the field at the same time without having to play traditional 2 TE sets.

We are in the finacial situation where we do not need to make a decision based on 2 million/season. We don’t need to sign a lesser player over money concerns.

The 2 closest offense that we can look at are the Chiefs and Eagles.

If we target both Burton and Shaheen 80 times, which is reasonable for non-elite TEs, we still would have less targets to the TE position than either of those teams.

We would just be balancing them between 2 TEs instead of 1 superstar and one lesser guy.

My pass catching rankings right now assuming Robinson is tagged and kept,

1. Sammy Watkins

2. Jarvis Landry, if I do not need to trade something substantial.

3. Albert Wilson

4. Marquise Lee

5. Trey Burton

6. Trade for one of the Denver guys if that is a thing

7. Paul Richardson

8. Donte Moncrief

9. John Brown

10. Jordan Matthews

11. Trade something substantial for Jarvis Landry

28 minutes ago, G08 said:

I can't imagine Watkins hitting the FA market... but yeah I'd definitely throw some coin at him. Who knows, maybe he'll be able to teach Kevin White how to run a God damned route like an NFL player.

He would have to donate his legs.

Rumor is they want to tag Joyner.

Archived