ESPN lets go of substantial NFL coverage staff

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

One of the very few people who figured out how to be relatively informative while playing by the ESPN talking head, 30 second sound bite rules. I don't go out of my way to watch her or anything, but you can tell she makes an effort to provide substance instead of talking about how bad players want to win.

JJ Reddick's another one who tries. Kills me because he's a first ballot hall of fame hatable athlete.

Might be named after him tbh, but I agree with your take :) 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 10:35 AM, NudeTayne said:

🍆

?

22 hours ago, 43M said:

Disney has to find a way to save money somewhere since almost every non MCU movie they release bombs hard anymore (and even the MCU isnt nearly as lucrative as it once was), and they are hemorrhaging money by the billions.

Amazing all these people get fired, but Kathleen Kennedy still has a job.   If she wasn't so horrible and ESPN stuck to sports like it used to, this **** wouldn't be happening.

Its only gonna get worse.

Kathleen Kennedy sure does have a lot of rope.  Kind of amazing.  

It's kind of interesting to observe the Marvel movie industry.  They followed the exact same path as the comic book industry to exact same results.  

Huge popularity with legacy characters and story lines for decades.  The comics switched to new characters and pushed old ones aside.  They emphasized Captain Marvel hard and Ms. Marvel and girl Thor, girl Iron Man, girl Hawkeye, etc.  and their sales tanked off a cliff.

Okay honest mistake.  They tried something and it didn't work.  It happens.   But it was insane that the movies decided to do the exact same thing when you had known data and results.   Granted comic book readers are much smaller audience than a general movie audience.   Maybe they thought they could do no wrong with all success they were having?  

My issue is they had literal decades of stories to pick from that sold in the millions and the popular comic stories typically coincided with movie success (not always X-men Phoenix was popular in comics and not popular as a movie) and then they went and picked stories that sold in the 1000s and even the 100s and those movies have been progressively flopping.    It seems a really difficult thing to do to take a bad source story and make it into a good movie.   Captain Marvel did sell a ton, but it was sandwiched between two biggest movies of all time and was sold as part and parcel of those.   

Who would do that?   

It's like it was a religious movement.   The failure was acceptable because of or for the greater good for society or something.  It's hard to believe the overriding goal was commercial and financial success.   

With the comics they argued that it was just people didn't like comics anymore and no comic would sell.   But then Manga came in and put the lie to that.   Young people simply didn't like the new comic characters and stories.   Go look at a book store and look at Manga section versus the American comic section.  The manga section is 10x as big.   You see teenagers at it.   You see none in Marvel graphic novel section.

I stopped reading comics in middle school, so I really have no dog in hunt aside from nostalgia.

My kids like manga and anime and they like the new Miles Morales movies, but they really soured on new Marvel movies and series of last few years.   They don't watch any of them.

I was just at Disney World last September.

A part of reason why Disney is suffering at parks (it is many things), but a part, maybe small, but a part is that a lot of their characters have lost popularity.

Peter Pan ride is always crowded at Disney World.  Always.  Because even after all this time Peter Pan is still beloved.  A timeless classic.

Kids are not loving Stars Wars as much, because people don't like the newer movies.   It makes the Star Wars themed rides and attractions a little less appealing.   There is almost no interest from kids in Indiana Jones attractions. 

Conversely kids still absolutely love Harry Potter and that is really helping Universal gain market share.

I guess my point is the movies and source material matters for the parks. 

Kids are still reading Harry Potter and watching the movies.   The Harry Potter stories are showing themselves to be timeless.   Peter Pan is timeless.

Indiana Jones and Star Wars are not proving timeless.   People 35+ still love them because of their memories from 70s/80s. 

But the kids aren't into it, because the newer stuff just isn't that good and that is what they are familiar with.  

And that affects the park attractions.  They need to do better.   I don't really want to see Disney fail.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was just at Disney World last September.

A part of reason why Disney is suffering at parks (it is many things), but a part, maybe small, but a part is that a lot of their characters have lost popularity.

Peter Pan ride is always crowded at Disney World.  Always.  Because even after all this time Peter Pan is still beloved.  A timeless classic.

Kids are not loving Stars Wars as much, because people don't like the newer movies.   It makes the Star Wars themed rides and attractions a little less appealing.   There is almost no interest from kids in Indiana Jones attractions. 

Conversely kids still absolutely love Harry Potter and that is really helping Universal gain market share.

I guess my point is the movies and source material matters for the parks. 

Kids are still reading Harry Potter and watching the movies.   The Harry Potter stories are showing themselves to be timeless.   Peter Pan is timeless.

Indiana Jones and Star Wars are not proving timeless.   People 35+ still love them because of their memories from 70s/80s. 

But the kids aren't into it, because the newer stuff just isn't that good and that is what they are familiar with.  

And that affects the park attractions.  They need to do better.   I don't really want to see Disney fail.

I think in a similar vein, COVID changed everything for movie theaters. I faithfully saw every MCU movie up until Endgame in theaters....but since COVID, I've been to see one movie. In years.

I think prior to COVID it was just easier to make money off of movies....but now it's a bit more difficult. Or at least not a slam dunk like Disney was used to.

There's also another reason - probably THE reason - but not trying to take it there.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I think in a similar vein, COVID changed everything for movie theaters. I faithfully saw every MCU movie up until Endgame in theaters....but since COVID, I've been to see one movie. In years.

I think prior to COVID it was just easier to make money off of movies....but now it's a bit more difficult. Or at least not a slam dunk like Disney was used to.

There's also another reason - probably THE reason - but not trying to take it there.

It's a valid point.  

But let me counter.   Post-Covid we have extreme commercial success of Avatar, Top Gun, Spider-man, and Super Mario.

More recently every kid I know really liked Across Spider Verse (I have kids and I volunteer at youth group at church so I know a lot of other 12-16 year olds).  I know many kids who have gone to see it 2 or 3x.  People on my facebook feed say post to say they saw it and really liked it.   And those people rarely comment on movies.  

I don't think we can blame Covid so much as people like or are interested in some movies and not others.   

I have to say I have not heard many people say they really liked Avatar.   Or know anyone who saw it.   But it made a ton of money.  So someone did.  Many someones.  

That must have been really good marketing or something.  Good on them.   That one is a mystery to me.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 2:07 PM, MWil23 said:

Completely on brand from this joke of a network. They’ve been a meme for over a decade now, so it’s refreshing to see them punt completely on what was left of actual journalistic content and go full heel.

B5ik.gif

I will never forget watching this for the first time 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

I honestly would rather listen to her talk about football over some ex-NFL players.

Half of them never graduated from the word salad postgame interviews.

Trent "in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE" Dilfer was carried by cohosts at ESPN more than the Ravens defense.

• Like 4