Where would prime Cam Newton rank today?

CP3MVP

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Prime Cam Newton won a MVP, so maybe even Top-3. Prime Cam Newton probably would be rated higher than Allen

I mean Boomer Esiason won an mvp, no one would say he would be top 3 today. 

I would also argue the QB Pool in 2023 is much better than 2015 when Cam Won

Even at his very best season Cam was still below 60% completions. The 15-1 team was very good but I don't think it was an all time team, more like a lucky team. 

It's also tricky pinpointing Cam's prime, because while 2015 was a great season, his 2014 and 2016 seasons were not very strong. 

4 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Even at his very best season Cam was still below 60% completions.

This had more to do with the offensive coordinator and less to do with the QB.  Newton wasn't super accurate, but there is a reason in his only 2 full seasons post-Shula, he completed 65%+ of his passes.  And no, it wasn't because he magically got more accurate at 29 years old and post shoulder surgery.  

Mike Shula was a terrible OC and while most people complain about their OCs, Shula really WAS that bad.  His passing scheme was archaic.  Newton isn't blameless by all means, but it does suck that the Panthers didn't do a better job with a more stable OL and/or offensive coordinator.  A lot of that falls on Rivera too.  Why he stuck with Shula as long as he did is beyond me.  Even in 2015, you could see how much of a problem it was.  Cam played at such a high level that year though, everything just went his way and the team's way.  

With that said, I don't think he would be top-5 today.  Sure you can blame some stuff on other things but Newton had his flaws as well and not very consistent.  I think he'd be in the 7-10 range.  

Maybe top 10?

He had a good half season in 2015 and otherwise was a mediocre to bad passer. He was a likeable and marketable dude but incredibly overrated.

He's immediately behind Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Lawrence, Hurts, Herbert, Jackson. And frankly he's just middle of the road if you look outside of the one half of 2015.