2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's why you don't trade Bakhtiari.

What's the value of a 2nd round pick? What's the value of Jordan Love, healthy, playing at the highest level he can because we're entirely invested in his development this year and then rewarding us for the next 10 years because of that investment?

Which one is worth more? Think that's easy to answer. Trading Bakhtiari is short term greed over the long term investment.

It's not black and white or clear cut as you're making it out to be.

Jordan Love, if good, is unlikely to be able to get to play with someone as accomplished as Bak throughout his career.  Probably not beyond 2024, if even that.  He should be able to be evaluated without Bak just fine.

Most likely Love with suck with our without Bak, or he'll be good with or without Bak.  Or he'll be somewhere in the middle, but it won't be because he has or doesn't have Bak around him.

54 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What's the value of a 2nd round pick? What's the value of Jordan Love, healthy, playing at the highest level he can because we're entirely invested in his development this year and then rewarding us for the next 10 years because of that investment?

Which one is worth more? Think that's easy to answer. Trading Bakhtiari is short term greed over the long term investment.

Agree with this. It's more important now NOT to trade Bak than it is to get rid of him.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

This.  Unless you're getting a drastic overpay for Bakh, he's off-limits.  A SRP isn't an overpay, let alone a drastic overpay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It's an odd look.  Complaining about our o-line right now.  We have competition at maybe two spots and have some nice up and coming players for the bench.  I feel like the OL is a strength of this team right now.

Do we even have two spots up for competition, or is Zach Tom just so good that we have to find a place for him to play? 

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Do we even have two spots up for competition, or is Zach Tom just so good that we have to find a place for him to play? 

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's going to be the starting RT. 

I'll echo Family Ghost, but it looks like a two-position competition because Myers looks so vulnerable. You might notice that last game they didn't bother using Tom or JRJ at Center but instead used Hanson after Myers was done for the night, and then I think #61 finished things for the night.

9 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I'll echo Family Ghost, but it looks like a two-position competition because Myers looks so vulnerable. You might notice that last game they didn't bother using Tom or JRJ at Center but instead used Hanson after Myers was done for the night, and then I think #61 finished things for the night.

Guys, I am saying that we had a fine OL and Zach Tom is good enough to take a spot.  Whomever goes to the bench is a starting caliber player.

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

It's not black and white or clear cut as you're making it out to be.

Jordan Love, if good, is unlikely to be able to get to play with someone as accomplished as Bak throughout his career.  Probably not beyond 2024, if even that.  He should be able to be evaluated without Bak just fine.

Most likely Love with suck with our without Bak, or he'll be good with or without Bak.  Or he'll be somewhere in the middle, but it won't be because he has or doesn't have Bak around him.

Confidence is huge in young QBs, countless rookies lose it in themselves and flame out. A great way to burn out your QB is have him under pressure. You seriously think a 2nd rounder is worth more than an All Pro LT protecting your first year starting QB?

I don't really care about next year, if Love shows himself he belongs he'll battle through the LT transition next year knowing it's temporary.

• Like 1

My 3 main takeaways from last week's first half were:

1. Josh Meyers is playing really well, you just need him to cut out the bull**** snap infraction. 

2. I'm still frustrated by JRJ at RG. But there's complete ****e behind him, so I'm not sweating it. 

3. Musgrave is still making rookie mistakes, but he's also looking really really good when he's going good. 

My 3 main takeaways for this week were

1. Josh Meyers looked fantastic. The man has some legit power at Center and those first three runs of the game were set up by him just moving DTs off the ball. He's quite the load inside. Love to see it. If it wasn't preseason, I'd be annoyed at LaFleur for going away from it at times. 

2. JRJ didn't do anything to piss me off too bad today, and Sean Rhyan had a very good first half. Rhyan is easily my choice for most improved from Week 1 to Week 2. He's a little bit like Meyers in that when he's not making the mental mistakes, he's quite the load inside. He had a couple of plays where the DT got away with holding or else he was going to blow up some LBs. 

3. See previous notes. Not perfect, but looking good. The short little curl route he had on the second drive where he turned up field with speed and aggression is nice to see. He's nowhere near Kittle's level, but that's the sort of thing that can seperate a good TE from a great one. 

+++Highlight of the night was AJ Dillon crucifying a poor Safety who thought he was getting a TFL only to realize he was run blitzing against Play Action and Dillon had him in his sights. Excellent work. 

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Confidence is huge in young QBs, countless rookies lose it in themselves and flame out. A great way to burn out your QB is have him under pressure. You seriously think a 2nd rounder is worth more than an All Pro LT protecting your first year starting QB?

I don't really care about next year, if Love shows himself he belongs he'll battle through the LT transition next year knowing it's temporary.

losing bak doesn't mean not protecting love.  Just means doing what makes sense for the long term.

2nd rounder is an assumption.  could be more!

Confidence is huge in young QBs, good thing we have a 3rd year QB.  Either he does it with an excellent line or a very good line - Bak is hardly gonna swing this from great OL to completely unscoutable mess of a situation.

Honestly one really has very little to do with the other. Not sure why there's some grand need to coddle Love or give him some special treatment here by keeping an OLD, overpaid player unlikely to be a part of the future.  Let him swim with the team that makes the most sense for the future of the team.  Best time to trade him will be around the trade deadline in terms of compensation.  Fine if they do it before the season too.

My thinking:

If you aren't gonna trade Bak, you gotta keep Nijman?  Because of Bak's injury risk?  Then just trade Bak!  Doesn't seem like either Bak or Nijman are gonna return more value to the packers over time than they would fetch in a trade.  I don't think the FO sees Nijman as a reliable piece to build around at OT.  But I think there's some teams out there that could start him today, and I think there's a Ton of teams that could upgrade at LT with Bak.  Neither of them really make sense for a rebuilding team.

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

My 3 main takeaways from last week's first half were:

1. Josh Meyers is playing really well, you just need him to cut out the bull**** snap infraction. 

2. I'm still frustrated by JRJ at RG. But there's complete ****e behind him, so I'm not sweating it. 

3. Musgrave is still making rookie mistakes, but he's also looking really really good when he's going good. 

My 3 main takeaways for this week were

1. Josh Meyers looked fantastic. The man has some legit power at Center and those first three runs of the game were set up by him just moving DTs off the ball. He's quite the load inside. Love to see it. If it wasn't preseason, I'd be annoyed at LaFleur for going away from it at times. 

2. JRJ didn't do anything to piss me off too bad today, and Sean Rhyan had a very good first half. Rhyan is easily my choice for most improved from Week 1 to Week 2. He's a little bit like Meyers in that when he's not making the mental mistakes, he's quite the load inside. He had a couple of plays where the DT got away with holding or else he was going to blow up some LBs. 

3. See previous notes. Not perfect, but looking good. The short little curl route he had on the second drive where he turned up field with speed and aggression is nice to see. He's nowhere near Kittle's level, but that's the sort of thing that can seperate a good TE from a great one. 

+++Highlight of the night was AJ Dillon crucifying a poor Safety who thought he was getting a TFL only to realize he was run blitzing against Play Action and Dillon had him in his sights. Excellent work. 

Didn't like what you saw of Rhyan this week? He was popping off a few times.

Nvm. Finish reading the whole post idiot.

If that Rhyan can show up. Sheesh there's gonna be some holes in the middle.

Edited by HighCalebR

13 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yes to both.

Right tackle is up for grabs.

Center is also a weaker spot.

Two spots for very open competition.  

And yes, Tom looks that good.  

13 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

My hope is that they saw that JRJ and Tom can function at center just fine if needed.  So then they were evaluating Hanson this past game.

To my eyes, JRJ and Tom looked quite good at center, though my eyes also saw that the Bengals didn't blitz or stunt inside when those guys were playing.  I felt like the Patriots threw more at the line than the Bengals did.  For whatever that is worth.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yes to both.

Right tackle is up for grabs.

Center is also a weaker spot.

Two spots for very open competition.  

And yes, Tom looks that good.  

Isn't Tom pretty well cemented in at RT? Do you see him as a possibility of being the center? I don't want to move a guy who can be a tackle for 10 years inside. 

Here is how I see it playing out.

Bak - Jenkins - Myers - Runyan - Tom. I don't think there are any surprises. 

Edited by Old Guy

42 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Didn't like what you saw of Rhyan this week? He was popping off a few times.

Nvm. Finish reading the whole post idiot.

If that Rhyan can show up. Sheesh there's gonna be some holes in the middle.

I saw him get to the second level twice, he got there quickly and under control.  Dude looks like a fire hydrant on the field and when he squared up on the ILB who was 2 steps slow reacting, dude was toast.