Preseason Game 3 - Seattle @ Green Bay

Leader

11 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I very rarely actively root against a guy. Doubly so when it's a Packer. But... I really hope Cox doesn't make the team. Having to read half a dozen bad d**k jokes on here every time he makes a play just isn't worth the vig. 🤷‍♂️

As long as he keeps his nose clean, I'm good with him.  I think he had his eyes opened when he went undrafted.  We'll see.  I'd probably keep him, kid has some tools.

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

As long as he keeps his nose clean, I'm good with him.  I think he had his eyes opened when he went undrafted.  We'll see.  I'd probably keep him, kid has some tools.

I’m not sure wgbeethree’s issue is with Cox the player. It’s the tortuous inevitability of “That’s what she said” style humor every. single. time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I’m not sure wgbeethree’s issue is with Cox the player. It’s the tortuous inevitability of “That’s what she said” style humor every. single. time.

I mean, if he makes the roster I’m not really capable of not making Cox jokes.  He showed something today, more than I’ve seen in the other games. I won’t be upset if he makes our 53 and we can set him on a path to develop. If he doesn’t, maybe he can make the 69, we’ll see how Gute puts the puzzle together.  I’m excited about the young talent in the upper tier and in the wings. Once we hit the regular season, I’m sure our youth will show but I mean that in the good and bad sense. I don’t doubt we have a few WTF? moments where the execution isn’t there or situational awareness needs to be better, but I also think we are going to surprise some teams with our quickness and hope the team just goes out there with the foolishness of youth and a “why not us?” attitude. We saw the Jets D hit us with some of that last season. It sucks to be on the receiving end but fun when your team just doesn’t care about how good the other team is supposed to be and just takes it to them. 

22 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Decent chance they'll be looking for a blocking TE with ST experience.

I’ve been calling for one of the 9ers TE cuts.  They are stacked there and will likely let a decent one go who runs in a similar system. If a safety who they really like or a G they feel is an upgrade is released, they might make a move. Football is so system specific, it’s hard to bring in someone who hasnt been practicing your playbook. You have to believe the player is a clear step ahead in talent and then get him up to speed. Most teams stick with their guys until injuries strike.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know if Walker has passed Nijman or not.  They definitely have been giving Walker more chances and it seems to be at the expense of Nijman.  And if they are equal we are talking a 4.3 million contract vs an 890K contract, with more years of cheap control.  That part makes sense.  But just like Hollins and Cox, I don't like the idea of giving away a functional player. And it isn't like we are hurting for cap space, OTC has us with 13.8 and Spotrac has us with 12.2.

We aren't cutting Nijman because his money is all guaranteed. Hollins only has 155K guaranteed. You actually save 1.125M if Hollins is released. Which is 400K more than Cox would cost us. 

I think it's semantics because I think all four make the roster, or at least, I hope. 

Just curious if Walker is Bak's back up and Nijman is Tom's backup. 

Edited by Old Guy

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We aren't cutting Nijman because his money is all guaranteed. Hollins only has 155K guaranteed. You actually save 1.125M if Hollins is released. Which is 400K more than Cox would cost us. 

I think it's semantics because I think all four make the roster, or at least, I hope. 

I guess we'd find out for sure if Bak goes down, but the idea makes sense; the less you need to juggle and shift your OL to compensate for losses, the better for unit cohesion. That's a lesson this coaching staff had to learn the hard way in prior years.

33 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I guess we'd find out for sure if Bak goes down, but the idea makes sense; the less you need to juggle and shift your OL to compensate for losses, the better for unit cohesion. That's a lesson this coaching staff had to learn the hard way in prior years.

Not sure it means anything but that is how ESPN has our depth chart looking. NFL.com has Nijman backing up Bak and Walker backing up Tom. 

Who knows and hopefully we never need to find out this year. 

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I'm in your line of thinking. Cox has shown me great potential this pre-season and I want him on the 53.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

No, but they can trade him.  And given the dearth of quality OL in the NFL, it wouldn't surprise me if someone would have significant interest in him.

5 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Do you think the Packers will sign any players cut by other teams by the deadline on Tuesday?

It's doubtful.  Teams rarely want to give roster spots to guys who don't know the playbook because they weren't on the team during the offseason.

If they do add a guy it will be as a special teams player since things like gunner/vise are fairly universal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No, but they can trade him.  And given the dearth of quality OL in the NFL, it wouldn't surprise me if someone would have significant interest in him.

Yes, there is interest in several of the players on the Packers roster. That doesn't mean they are trading them.

Yosh isn't getting traded. Get over it and obsess on something else.

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Do you think the Packers will sign any players cut by other teams by the deadline on Tuesday?

I doubt it for the active roster.  Maybe if the right safety or tight end gets cut, but I think that the team will likely be going with the youth movement and let these guys take their lumps.  I think they may go outside the organization to try to find some interior OL to fill out the practice squad.

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

It is?  Well, I read that wrong then, hahahaha.  

7 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I very rarely actively root against a guy. Doubly so when it's a Packer. But... I really hope Cox doesn't make the team. Having to read half a dozen bad d**k jokes on here every time he makes a play just isn't worth the vig. 🤷‍♂️

I'm guessing you weren't around in 2014? 😁