Bears/Packers- Week 1 GDT

beardown3231

Weird little set of predictions for the game. 

First bears set of downs includes a 30+ air yard pass to Tyler Scott. And they throw at least 2 such deep passes to him in the game. 

Not predicting either is caught, but one of the podcasts brought this up a week or so ago that all we heard about from camp was Scott's speed and yet their usage of him in preseason almost seemed like they where intentionally hiding that aspect of his game so it wouldn't be on film. I'm thinking they threaten the deep ball at least once very early to try and get GB off balance, push coverage back to open up the run game, and maybe even give Moore/Kmet room to work underneath. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

First bears set of downs includes a 30+ air yard pass to Tyler Scott. And they throw at least 2 such deep passes to him in the game.

That is bold because he’s 6th on the depth chart at the moment, and I figure he is because he’s struggling with learning the playbook. I don’t expect to see him in the first set, let alone making a splash play. 

5 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'm thinking they threaten the deep ball at least once very early to try and get GB off balance, push coverage back to open up the run game, and maybe even give Moore/Kmet room to work underneath. 

I don’t think bears football has ever thought that deeply about offensive strategy. Run run short pass until we die. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Not predicting either is caught, but one of the podcasts brought this up a week or so ago that all we heard about from camp was Scott's speed and yet their usage of him in preseason almost seemed like they where intentionally hiding that aspect of his game so it wouldn't be on film. I'm thinking they threaten the deep ball at least once very early to try and get GB off balance, push coverage back to open up the run game, and maybe even give Moore/Kmet room to work underneath. 

I’m not sure Scott will even be active week 1. Moore/Mooney/Claypool are all healthy. Taylor will be active as the PR, and they’ve got Velus listed as KR1 on the depth chart so he’ll probably be active too. Will they activate Scott over ESB? I would, but they really seem to value what ESB brings as a blocker. 

40 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I could see that play to Velus, ideally boosting his confidence if it's caught. Green Bay would never expect it since Velus isn't exactly known for his hands. Scott would be cool because I thought he could be a steal & a potential Mooney replacement if letting Mooney walk is the route Poles chooses, but he seemed to drop everything in sight in August & I'm not sure he'll even be active on Sunday

27 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Run run short pass until we die. 

My favorite part of this over the past 30 years is that they'll need like 6 yards for the first down, and WITHOUT FAIL, run a play with only 4 yard routes. Couldn't possibly call a play with a 7 yard route, so that the receiver not only actually gets the first if he just stands there and catches it (which itself in Chicago is a gamble), but actually has a yard of leeway to attack the ball in the air....We don't do that here, in Chicago! That stuff is too easy, we only run routes 2 yards short of the sticks so that the receiver must not only catch the ball, but also break at least two tackles to get that extra yardage for the first down. 

That and defense dominating all game only to play prevent in the second half and just let teams match down the field consistently are my two biggest pet peeves. "playing not to lose" vs just playing to win. Lovie's defenses where among the worst at that, despite being among the best overall. 

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

could see that play to Velus, ideally boosting his confidence if it's caught.

If it's Velus running the routes I predicted, I'd bet that it's gonna be two incompletions or that one of them is intercepted before I bet on either (let alone both) being caught. 

Zero faith in that guy. 

4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

My favorite part of this over the past 30 years is that they'll need like 6 yards for the first down, and WITHOUT FAIL, run a play with only 4 yard routes. Couldn't possibly call a play with a 7 yard route, so that the receiver not only actually gets the first if he just stands there and catches it (which itself in Chicago is a gamble), but actually has a yard of leeway to attack the ball in the air....We don't do that here, in Chicago! That stuff is too easy, we only run routes 2 yards short of the sticks so that the receiver must not only catch the ball, but also break at least two tackles to get that extra yardage for the first down. 

Watching Cousins do exactly this with the season on the line on 4th and 9 against the Giants in the playoff game, then re-watching it on Quarterback on Netflix (high recommend for anyone who hasn’t watched it) was oddly familiar and equally satisfying to see it happen elsewhere.

I’ve been trying to figure out for 20 years why the Bears seemingly refuse to call a 3rd down slant pass regardless of who our QB or OC are while we watch time and time again Rodgers and Favre pick us to death doing just that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Watching Cousins do exactly this with the season on the line on 4th and 9 against the Giants in the playoff game, then re-watching it on Quarterback on Netflix (high recommend for anyone who hasn’t watched it) was oddly familiar and equally satisfying to see it happen elsewhere.

I’ve been trying to figure out for 20 years why the Bears seemingly refuse to call a 3rd down slant pass regardless of who our QB or OC are while we watch time and time again Rodgers and Favre pick us to death doing just that.

I've annoyed you all within gamethreads for years with this but I'll say it again: there must be a line on the HC/GM job applications that George designed "do you love throwing 4+ yards short of the first down marker on 3rd down?" If you select yes, he doesn't read the rest of the application. There's also a line that says "do you prioritize defense over offense?" Once more, if you check the yes box, you're in!

14 minutes ago, Epyon said:

If it's Velus running the routes I predicted, I'd bet that it's gonna be two incompletions or that one of them is intercepted before I bet on either (let alone both) being caught. 

Zero faith in that guy. 

Yeah, me neither. I was joking. He's terrible

• Like 2

I'm down on Velus as well, but at least you can say he finished last year stronger, and with some chunk plays they really needed.  I don't think he's going to work out, but his high moments have at least been lots of yards.

As to the inevitability of Bear's football, where we always seem magnetically attracted to going three and out when a little momentum is needed, or a weird diving run 14yds short of the goal line...  makes you think about the only time the Bears have been really innovative on offense and how it was under Trestman and.... don't go down that road lads. 

18 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

This is fun if you want your blood pressure to go up before the game. I don't know what's going to happen this week as far as if we win but good lord.  

Anything Bukowski writes or says has such a meatball Green Bay homeristic angle to it. If Fields does turn out to be a full blown stud Bukowski may have to recuse himself from the internet. He won’t be able to handle it. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Anything Bukowski writes or says has such a meatball Green Bay homeristic angle to it. If Fields does turn out to be a full blown stud Bukowski may have to recuse himself from the internet. He won’t be able to handle it. 

It absolutely is. I've just been listening to a few of his podcasts. No objectivity what so ever. Why are we more objective about Jordan Love than they are about Justin or any other improvement about this team? I'll never understand it. Them debating in their forum about which wide receiver group they'd take for the game had me rolling my eyes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

The problem with Bukkake is he says things like "star QB," so even if Fields does throw for 22 TD's and runs for another 8-10, he could say "in my opinion" he's not a star. The guy is so weird, petty and punchable.

Is this slander, or the best auto-correct self-report ever?

• Like 1