Bears/Packers- Week 1 GDT

beardown3231

1 hour ago, malak1 said:

Send pressure until Love proves he can beat you consistently.

I agree with making Love show he can beat you but my approach to do so would be by focusing on taking away their ability to win on the ground. I’d load the box to stop Dillon and Jones until Love forces me out of it. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree with making Love show he can beat you but my approach to do so would be by focusing on taking away their ability to win on the ground. I’d load the box to stop Dillon and Jones until Love forces me out of it. 

That's definitely fair, and probably a better idea than mine, lol.

My strategy for a first game at any level of football is always send the house again and again.

Why?   O lines are not ready to deal with that.   It takes time to gel.

Plus GB wants to run the football.   Their game plan will be (or should be) to run it down our throats.   To gas Billings and Jones and force the rookies to play extended minutes or make them ineffective.   

To prove Ngakoue can play the run.   We were worst run defense in league last year.  

They want to feed us a steady diet of Jones and Dillon and throw over middle to their young TE who is a match up problem.  

When you blitz heavy the penetration disrupts the OZ blocking and screws it up.

The fear is they go over the top and get a quick 6 to Watson or Doubs.  But you can't live that way.   The multiple 3 and outs are more important to me than the possible quick scores.   Stack the box and blitz for a game 1.

Don't be a Sally Flus.

For us we can't be run heavy.   (Though I fear that will be our game plan).   That is how we will lose.     Their D front is better than our O line right now.  We need to challenge their 2nd and 3rd corners and their safeties who aren't as good as our WRs as a whole.

We need to get the big plays and not run the ball for no gain on first and set up 2nd and 10 again and again.   Throw or scramble on first downs.  Don't be conservative on either side of the ball.

• Like 1

Our advantage is our secondary vs their WRs and our WRs and TEs vs. their LBs and secondary. 

Their advantage is their D front vs. our Oline and their running game vs. our D line.    

Whoever exploits it better in game planning will be winners of game.  

This is being billed as Fields vs. Love, but it's really the two coaching staffs and the game plan(s) that will decide the outcome of this game IMO.   

I'm terrified. 

I know what I see, I see serious talent all over this roster. Fantastic culture,  guys working very hard very smart. Our youth is big and athletic, all highly motivated, we have a big 3 WR and good to very good TEs RBs OL. Brisker Gordon and Jaylen all prime for hUGE seasons. Edmunds TJ and Sanborn where we had only Sanborn last season. Walker and Yannick Billings huge upgrades to last year's DL

We should win 10+ if we can stay healthy, but  I'm not so sure we can stay healthy. Offseason player workouts OTA and TC all seem to have all been very high workloads for everyone. We may have OVERdone it and  vulnerable to health issues throughout the season. 

I pray I'm wrong, pray for health  Pray JLove falls somewhere on the qb spectrum bw normal and sucks bAD 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

My strategy for a first game at any level of football is always send the house again and again

Does this team actually have a house to send, though? I'm expecting the run defense to be dramatically improved, but I'm not at all confident in the pass rush, particularly with just the front 4.

If we can block the middle, contain edges and shut the run down hard, with a cover 2 shell forcing Love to try and run a WCO styled short and methodical passing game to beat us, I think we have a good shot at a few turnovers and defensive scores. 

Regarding the game generally, I don't really know what to expect here. Fields and the starting o aren't nearly as bad as they looked in limited preseason action, but that doesn't mean I'm at all confident in them putting up points either. They likely need a few games to cook. 

Meanwhile, the packers are a complete wildcard to me. I haven't been high on their roster in years, but even when Rodgers was out, they have done OK. I could see them being a wildcard level team if everything goes right, and I could see them being a top 5 draft pick if the Love experiment bombs. 

No idea who wins this one, but it's an absolute tone setting game for the most important year of both of the qbs' careers. 

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Does this team actually have a house to send, though? I'm expecting the run defense to be dramatically improved, but I'm not at all confident in the pass rush, particularly with just the front 4.

If we can block the middle, contain edges and shut the run down hard, with a cover 2 shell forcing Love to try and run a WCO styled short and methodical passing game to beat us, I think we have a good shot at a few turnovers and defensive scores. 

Regarding the game generally, I don't really know what to expect here. Fields and the starting o aren't nearly as bad as they looked in limited preseason action, but that doesn't mean I'm at all confident in them putting up points either. They likely need a few games to cook. 

Meanwhile, the packers are a complete wildcard to me. I haven't been high on their roster in years, but even when Rodgers was out, they have done OK. I could see them being a wildcard level team if everything goes right, and I could see them being a top 5 draft pick if the Love experiment bombs. 

No idea who wins this one, but it's an absolute tone setting game for the most important year of both of the qbs' careers. 

I mean run twists and stunts and send LBs liberally and corners off edge at times.

Pass pro pick ups take longest to get right.  Most teams suck at it in game 1.   

It gets too risky later to do too much.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

It’s a tone setter game for the season (what week 1 game isn’t?) and it’s unquestionably the biggest year of Fields’ career to date. But at the end of the day, Sunday’s game is really just 1 of 17 in the big year for Fields to show if he’s going to be the guy long term or not. If he’s great, it’s still just 1 of 17 and doesn’t mean he’s “arrived.” If he sucks its 1 of 17 and doesn’t mean he’ll be bad all year. If he’s something in between it’s 1 of 17. Regardless of the result Sunday there are 16 more just as important. 

I think we as fans tend to go WAY too far with what we put on one single matchup across a season, especially early in the season, and especially as Bears fans in this particular rivalry. Seeing a whole lot of the whole “weight of a century of bad QB play” or “weight of 30 years at the wrong end of the rivalry” stuff this week when it comes to our QB (the afternoon show on The Score was over the top with it today). Fields is undoubtedly aware of the history between the teams, but he’s not burdened by the weight of it. That’s our issue, not his. He grew up in Georgia as a Falcons fan. He wasn’t even alive for the first half of Favre’s career, and when Rodgers became GB’s starting QB he was in elementary school. He has zero ties to the history of this rivalry before 2021. He’s got plenty of pressure to perform, but little to none of it has anything to do with the Green Bay Packers. 

• Like 1

The one thing that worries me is that the Bears are going to need to win more by passing and the Packers are going to need to run the ball.  The problem with this is that it's Week 1.  More often than not, it takes longer to get the passing game in sync than it does to just get the running game going.  It's possible that the schedule will favor the Packers because of this. 

Other than this detail, I like the Bears' chances. 

• Like 1