Week 14 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Houston Texans

J-ALL-DAY

Of the team’s looking to be in the top of the draft we have the most difficult schedule. Indy and Denver play next week, Chicago has a couple winnable games as well, Indy has Cleveland as well. 

I don’t see the Giants falling out of #2 but I think we still probably end at 3, maybe 4. 

I stopped commenting in this thread when my feed started lagging behind, so here are my observations:

We're set at QB. How good does that feel to say that loud? All of a sudden, the sentence "I'm a niners fan" isn't immediately followed by a "but", or an explanation as to why. A guy with really quarterbacking instincts. Like throwing to a WR on third and very long, knowing there's a fair chance DPI might be called on the play. If Goodwin makes the catch, great! If it's intercepted, it's like a short punt. But in many many cases, that play ends up being a DPI. Now I look at a third and long and have a reasonable hope we're going to convert it. At some point during the game, my thought was: "Love Jimmy, now we have to start protecting him". The guy always gets rid of the ball, and there's often a chance it might be caught. Put some air under the throw and place it wwhere only one of our guys can reach it. I remember when we played the Pats in 2012, and our D would get at Brady all game long, but he would never get sacked, because Brady always knew where to get rid of the ball. Jimmy has some of that, but he also takes more hits, because he's trying too hard at the moment, and we don't exactly have the personnel to support him. 

About Carlos: missing that deep throw!! Damn, he should have caught that. It's like the more he ran, the more I saw his arms shrink into his body. Just reach out, man! I know, he's not a receiver. Personally, I never really loved Hyde. He's a good runner, but he never was a great one. I was never enthusiastic when he was called upon to replace Gore full time. I just don't think he's a premiere RB in this league. And I'm not basing this on him dropping a deep pass, that's not really in his job description, can't fault him too much for that. I'm just not convinced he'll be brought back. If he were to, I think he'd already have been re-signed. Sure, letting him go creates one more hole to plug, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how things panned out. What if we let Hyde go, and signed some veteran free agent to work with Breida and Williams... I don't know... how about Frank Gore?!

Is it possible the best signing Baalke did was Garrett Celek? The guy is so under the radar, but damn, he's solid. He has little shifty moves reminiscent of Travis Kelse. That cut he did on his long catch and run was amazing. I'm feeling great about the TEs right now. And it's not because Kittle has been overly impressive. It's because of Celek. We could get over a 1000 yards from our TEs, next year, in my opinion. How nice is it to have an offense that can consistently move the ball. At one point, I think we had 4-5 straight drives resulting in points on the board. That's team work. And all it took was a new QB.

How I'd love to have a DeAndre Hopkins of our own. Garçon as #2, Goodwin as #3, Taylor #4, or any rotation of those. That would be the dream. But even without a true #1, just having Garoppolo can make it work. Throughout the year, Goodwin looked so inconsistent that he could hardly be considered anything more than a role player. Right now, he looks like a legit starting option for an NFL team. 

I really want a C badly. I'm so tired of seeing Kilgore out there. Give me Magnuson, next offseason. The coaches were extremely impressed by his last game, when they found out he played most of the game with a really bad foot injury. I hope they value that toughness to the point of giving him a legit shot to beat Kilgore. Even if we go and get a center in the draft, I hope Magnuson pushes Kilgore out of his spot. Staley Nelson Magnuson Garnett Brown, anyone?

Adrian Colbert... 7th round steal. Every year I see these guys coming out of nowhere and becoming stars. It would be nice if, for once, we got that late round gem. Colbert seems like he could be a star.

What a job Lynch and Shanahan have done, in less than a year.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

In fairness, he really can come in and fill in anywhere. Where KS failed to acknowledge is that he will play all three of those positions at a well below average level lol. 

Yes, this. Given roster limitations on game day a guy like can ve valuable, and you hope you never have to use him.

43 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Of the team’s looking to be in the top of the draft we have the most difficult schedule. Indy and Denver play next week, Chicago has a couple winnable games as well, Indy has Cleveland as well. 

I don’t see the Giants falling out of #2 but I think we still probably end at 3, maybe 4. 

denver winning big today.  now if Indy can beat them next week they'll both keep picking behind us.

So am I the only one sold on Colbert as the future@FS? 

In three games, he's looked more natural, more instinctual in space than Ward had at any point this year. His speed is apparent and he delivers CLEAN hits that seperates receivers from the ball. 

I was one of those who thought Ward would thrive@FS. And maybe Shanny and Lynch still see Ward as the guy there. But moving him back to CB and pairing him with Witherspoon next year makes a ton of sense and helps plug one hole on D. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

denver winning big today.  now if Indy can beat them next week they'll both keep picking behind us.

Oh wait.  That's only if we lose.  If Denver wins today and loses to Indy and we win then we've all got 4 wins.  Not sure where we stand with the tie breaker than. And as somebody pointd out way back in the game thread we're also closing in on TB who only has 4 wins. So depending how it unfolds it's the Browns and Giants ahead of us and then there's Chicago, TB, Indy, Denver, Houston and us. That's somewhere between 3  and 8.  If we happen to win out there are several other teams that could come into the picture.

26 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So am I the only one sold on Colbert as the future@FS? 

In three games, he's looked more natural, more instinctual in space than Ward had at any point this year. His speed is apparent and he delivers CLEAN hits that seperates receivers from the ball. 

I was one of those who thought Ward would thrive@FS. And maybe Shanny and Lynch still see Ward as the guy there. But moving him back to CB and pairing him with Witherspoon next year makes a ton of sense and helps plug one hole on D. 

Only one? At this point you are in the majority.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We're going to beat the Titans next week......

We might win a superbowl next year. 

In all seriousness, as great as it is to have a QB, we're going to get back to the days where we're actually upset when we lose. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Maybe I've missed it. I think his play has gotten lost in all the Jimmy G talk, and I guess thats expected. 

Yeah, most are pretty convinced Colbert is pretty good and should be starting in the secondary somewhere next season. The only thing I want to see before I anoint him the starter is a forced turnover or two. It's the only thing we should be getting from that position that we're not. He does that, I'm 100% sold. As of now, I'm still a solid believer in his play. 

Archived