Week 2: VIKINGS (0-1) at Eagles (1-0)

vike daddy

Things I liked

offensively: Kirk, JJ, Hock, Addison are as advertised. They can put up points with anyone.

defensively: Hunter still has it, the CBs can play, Pace is really good when he stays clean, the edge rotation was getting good pressure when they had to pass. Bynum is a totally different guy.

things I didn’t like

offensively: knowing you have an injured OL means you have to figure out how to manufacture a run game. They seem to just call the game the same no matter who is out there or what the defense is doing. And obviously the turnovers. KJ Osborn forgot how to catch.

Defensively: if they are going to run you have to get bigger bodies out there. Watching Asamoah and Pace get washed out over and over was bad. Harrison Smith has lost a step and a half. 

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I believe he did, but I think KAM wanted to trade down and KOC wanted Addison. (I did as well). 

in other news, he previous 1st round selection can’t get on the field after moving down terribly

We drafted a...5th string Safety over Jordan Davis😅😅

I'll never understand that one. Just on what Addison and Pace have done in 2 games though, KAM has already had a better year 2 on his picks/UDFA than last season.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Just like it took 2 weeks for the Vikings to put Jefferson in the starting lineup, after 2 weeks it’s time to move Addison to the starting lineup. 

Addison should be WR2 moving forward. Osborn is a great WR3, but Addison is a true threat on the field with Jefferson pulling coverage. 

Put Osborn on notice. Get your head in the game! 

I still think KJ might be best in the slot, but I probably overestimated what kind of contract he's going to get in Free Agency.

Im not all that upset. I knew this team would be seeing huge regression with the year we had last year. I believe were also in the middle of a "competitive rebuild" so im not getting all that upset if some units on the offense and defense arent up to snuff.

I looked at the FA class i didnt see any guards worth signing atleast names i didnt recognize. Maybe there were some decent players out there and i just dont know who they are, Seemed like a better tackle FA class than a guard class. We also have some very expensive players that are due for contract extensions here soon in CD and JJ so maybe thats why the front office didnt go after a guard and wanted to see who we still have in Ingram and Clevland even if we know what we have in Clevland more than Ingram. Hopefully once we get a QB on a rookie contract we can go after an elite to above average guard in FA.

Defense to me compared to last year is improved which in encouraging and it looks like we found some players as well.

KOC to me still is in question of whether or not hes a good HC. I read people calling him an "elite offensive mind" and that seems a bit far fetched to me atleast. Shanny, Reid, McVay are elite offensive minds, KOC isnt on the same level as those guys. Yeah we had a great year last year but that was such an anomaly that im sorta putting an asterisk on that one. Dont get me wrong id much rather have an offensive mind in KOC than a defensive minded HC in Zimmer, But the jury is still out for me, And feel like KOC deserves just as much criticism as KAM is getting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder at what point the trade Cousins/lets tank chatter begins. If we’re going to be bad this year let’s be really bad, and actually get a top tier QB prospect to build around. So Chargers and Chiefs are next? 

I was watching Get Up on ESPN, and the drumbeat has begun in the New York centric media.  These guys don't know ANYTHING  about the Vikings or their situation. 

• Like 1

So what is the deal with Lewis Cine?  Is he that bad that Theo Jackson plays over him?

I love how multiple the defense is, they change things up and move guys around.  Basically Metellus is playing OLB at times which is great because he is a smart and tough player.  They did get pushed around though in the run game obviously by the best offensive line in football arguably.  Would be nice to have another good corner outside of Murphy...  Hicks I think played great and Pace Jr is improving, would be nice to get some real push from the DL, Phillips is the only one making an impact there, Tonga has done nothing and surprisingly Lowry has not done much either.  Curious if they should go to more of a 4/3 front with Lowry and Phillips the DEs and then put Hunter and Wonnum as the edge guys then Metellus as the third LB type with Pace and Hicks.  

Harrison Smith seems like he is almost not even out there, makes very little impact for a veteran like him.

But yeah has an NFL team ever won a game where the other team had 250+ yards rushing, 3 TDs at 5.4 a carry?  The fact the Vikings were even in the game and made it close was impressive I say, even with the Eagles defensive injuries in the secondary.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Captain Relax said:

I was watching Get Up on ESPN, and the drumbeat has begun in the New York centric media.  These guys don't know ANYTHING  about the Vikings or their situation. 

What they thought the Vikings would trade Kirk Cousins to the Jets or something?  Kirk for the beating he takes, he gets ripped on and he should for lack of winning big games.  But the dude is wildly consistent in terms of health despite getting hit as much as any QB has in what the past 5 seasons or more....  Got to give him respect for the beating he takes it seems every year and he never really gets hurt...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

So what is the deal with Lewis Cine?  Is he that bad that Theo Jackson plays over him?

I love how multiple the defense is, they change things up and move guys around.  Basically Metellus is playing OLB at times which is great because he is a smart and tough player. 

It's certainly concerning, but Cine and Metellus don't play the same position in this defense - Cine isn't built to do the hybrid LB thing, and Theo Jackson backed up that spot all preseason. I agree though, the longer he goes without playing the worse it looks. On a night when they needed fresh bodies, he couldn't get in the game.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What they thought the Vikings would trade Kirk Cousins to the Jets or something?  Kirk for the beating he takes, he gets ripped on and he should for lack of winning big games.  But the dude is wildly consistent in terms of health despite getting hit as much as any QB has in what the past 5 seasons or more....  Got to give him respect for the beating he takes it seems every year and he never really gets hurt...

If we can trade Cousins mid-season for a 1st round pick+, we should probably do it. And that's no disrespect to Cousins, but we've set ourselves up where we probably need to pick a QB next draft even though we still have so many holes to fill.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Seems about right. The national media still thinks Dalvin Cook is still an elite RB when to me he isnt. And i think a lot of people who actually watch the games would agree with me.