Week 2: VIKINGS (0-1) at Eagles (1-0)

vike daddy

5 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

If we can trade Cousins mid-season for a 1st round pick+, we should probably do it. And that's no disrespect to Cousins, but we've set ourselves up where we probably need to pick a QB next draft even though we still have so many holes to fill.

I don't think the Jets can trade at 1st or 2nd at this point

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

It's certainly concerning, but Cine and Metellus don't play the same position in this defense - Cine isn't built to do the hybrid LB thing, and Theo Jackson backed up that spot all preseason. I agree though, the longer he goes without playing the worse it looks. On a night when they needed fresh bodies, he couldn't get in the game.

So Theo Jackson was filling in for Metellus?  I thought he was just playing the third safety at times and seemed to be in coverage not as much around the line of scrimmage like Metellus?

Of course Cine is not a hybrid LB, he is weak as crap and his lower body strength sucks, thinks he is a hit man but cannot physically take the pounding or provide big hits like Metellus can who is stronger in his base and more firm in his tackling.

Either way for a defense to be playing 3 safeties a lot and Cine never being in on that, it is concerning for sure.  Bynum played great and really tackled well I thought, Harrison Smith did not do much but clearly they will not be taking him out and putting Cine in.  Odd that Harrison was not the hybrid LB role with his age and ability around the line of scrimmage...

6 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

If we can trade Cousins mid-season for a 1st round pick+, we should probably do it. And that's no disrespect to Cousins, but we've set ourselves up where we probably need to pick a QB next draft even though we still have so many holes to fill.

True, if they could get multiple picks yeah....  But not sure the Jets are able to do that considering Rodgers contract right now.  The Vikings most likely if they move on from Cousins will be picking two QBs in next years draft possibly.  Not sure who this team is that would trade for a QB outside of the Jets and even that is a bit of a question mark....

For a lot of things that PFF does well, how they grade coverage and DBs in general is not one of them. 

Murphy’s low grade is primarily due to a poor performance in run defense, but his cover age score just doesn’t make sense. This week, Murphy allowed 2 catches on 3 targets for 11 yards. His coverage grade was 58.8.

On the flip side, Evens allowed 4 catches on 5 targets for 63 yards and a touchdown. His coverage grade was 71.9. 

• Like 1

Too many turnovers and mistakes to overcome and we still almost won. Defense played well for as long as they could given the circumstances. I don't recall seeing the time of possession battle that skewed in a long time (39:28 to 20:32).

Offense obviously needs to figure out how to take care of the ball and play consistently for 4 full quarters. Going to be tough to do when you're extremely one-dimensional.

Even with the loss I'm actually somewhat encouraged we were able to go into Philly and compete given all of our self-inflicted mistakes and still almost come away with a win.

We need to find a way to get to 2-2 (Chargers and @ Panthers) heading into the week 5 matchup with the Chiefs.

Through two games, not playing the starters on offense more in the preseason is looking more questionable to me. They may be more used to playing against defenders that were trying to create turnovers if they played in preseason games.  The argument that it keeps players healthier might hold a little water, but the trenches look decimated by injuries anyway so I don't know how much water.

It's a real shame that more wasn't done to improve the interior of the offensive line. Addison is great but it has been so many years that the team has needed to improve the offensive line by now that looking at just one move isn't the right way to look at it.  For KAM, it's only two seasons so far, but I don't know that he has the right level of urgency in fixing the offensive line. 

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

Through two games, not playing the starters on offense more in the preseason is looking more questionable to me. They may be more used to playing against defenders that were trying to create turnovers if they played in preseason games.  The argument that it keeps players healthier might hold a little water, but the trenches look decimated by injuries anyway so I don't know how much water.

I can definitely see that having something to do with the fumbles

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I've started going back and forth on this myself and obviously the injury discussion is the biggest factor. Currently, I do think a series or two each game would not be a bad idea.

• Like 1

Just now, Sad People said:

Might be a bit of an extreme.

They've already moved on from Lowe and Otomewo. 

If those guys can't get on the field, trading them for a late day 3 pick isn't out of the question.

Don't get me wrong. The roster isn't too bad. I think we have enough talent to still compete for a playoff spot. I just don't see it in these 2 players.

• Like 2