GDT Week 2: Packers at Flacons

mikebpackfan

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

On the offensive side, I can agree with this 100%.  The miscues on offense are a bummer, but kind of expected.  I'll take the good with the bad on that side, and so far there has been more good than bad.  24 points should have been more than enough to win this game.

I really don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for the defense.  I can't think of many reasons to expect that side to improve while Barry is running it.

Hence the "cutting out" part... hopefully.

We're just never going to regularly win big on D with Joe Barry as DC.  8 first round picks on D, and we get this type of a performance way too often.  Dropping easy picks doesn't help, but we got steamrolled in the run game.  Arthur Smith stuck to his guns and won the war of attrition.  He outcoached our guys today.  We had something cooking for a while, but LaFleur/Love couldn't continue it when it mattered most.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

overall love had a great game, but he biffed that sneak and that was the difference.

Then he went incompletex4 in a game winning drive chance.

hardly the reason for the loss, but he didn't go out and win it for them

It was his 2nd start. That should not be the expectation. With the great way he's started to drive them down there and win would've been absolutely exceptional. Still he's been excellent this far, and is as composed as one should be.

Your HC should not make you check into a sneak on 4th and in, that was entirely on Matt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers were up by 12 points with 18 minutes remaining in the game.  The Falcons scored 13 points in 18 minutes.  After giving up 12 points in the first 42 minutes, they promptly gave up 13 points in 18 minutes.  

Didn't you accuse me of cherrypicking? What did our offense do the last 15 minutes of the game?

On to the next game.  We knew there would be some growing pains with Love at QB.  For the majority of the game he appeared very poised.  It certainly did not help to have Jones, Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Watson, and Van Ness out for most or all of the game.

I thought #63 Walker settled in nicely as the game went on and got better after some first quarter jitters.  Something to build off of there.  Even #70 Newman was not all that bad and he played most of the game in place of Jenkins.

I don't know what to say about the defense other than #52 Gary needs to relearn how to set an edge. Our tackling was also so-so but some of that could be due to just how elusive and slippery Robinson is in his cuts. Won't face many backs as good as him this year.

I would imagine we will have Jones, Watson and maybe, just maybe Bakhtiari back next week (that is if Bak now is ok playing on grass..ok that was a cheap shot).  But I think we should just continue on with Walker and let Bak play on the Thursday after against the Lions.

6 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Didn't you accuse me of cherrypicking? What did our offense do the last 15 minutes of the game?

Cherry picking?  The Packers offense averaged 0.6 points per minute for the first 42 minutes of the game.  They averaged 0 over the last 18 minutes.  The defense averaged 0.3 points per minute for the first 42 minutes, and 0.7  points per minute in the last 18 minutes.  Which one is the great sample size?  The Packers' offense went ice cold in the last 18 minutes.  NOBODY is denying that.  But the reality is the Packers' defense was mediocre the entire game.  The fact that the Falcons went for it on 4th down more than they punted proves that fact.

• Like 1