The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

Something tells me Caleb doesn't play the way Harbaugh would want/Harbaugh would really wear Caleb out.

Seems like a personality clash waiting to happen. Going from Lincoln Riley and his yolo coaching/offense to a super structured timing passing system that is TE/RB heavy seems like it might have a few bumps.

Edited by AkronsWitness

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Fields putting together some positive tape for a QB-desperate team to consider in the off-season. Who'll it be?

(Falcons?)

I don't think it'll be the falcons. Depends on what offense Arthur Smith wants though. If you want a timing based offense, which is the tree he comes from....I have to imagine that Fields isn't your guy. 

58 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I hope Fields plays just good enough for the Bears to do the unthinkable and pass on Caleb Williams. They pass on a "generational" QB prospect to get an absolute kings ransom of draft picks. The chaos this would cause in the offseason would be glorious. 

Thee question I have is what is the asking price for Fields? Conditional 2nd?

I would like to think its higher than people may think strictly because of the newfound importance of backup QB play has become this year opening up more suitors that are willing to pay a bit extra for a GOOD backup and potential future starter.

He could realize his actual potential if he goes to any of the 10+ teams that have a Shannahan tree system that simplifies the offense for QBs and allows them easy reads + using their legs on playaction. 

However, taking Caleb Williams might not be as GTD as we may think. Trade that #1 pick for a kings random, draft Marvin Harrison and BUILD around him.

Edited by AkronsWitness

I want us to keep him...Starting over would be almost exactly like drafting Fields all over again. Neither Williams or Maye will set the league on fire next year. We will basically be HOPING they can surpass Fields in like their first 2 seasons. If not we will be 3 years down the line before talking about being successful.....Fields can win next year

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I want us to keep him...Starting over would be almost exactly like drafting Fields all over again. Neither Williams or Maye will set the league on fire next year. We will basically be HOPING they can surpass Fields in like their first 2 seasons. If not we will be 3 years down the line before talking about being successful.....Fields can win next year

People love to take anomalies and use them as the precedent in draft discussion so there is no doubt in my mind that there are tons of those who believe (incorrectly) Caleb Williams would come in and have a year like Stroud.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

They showed a stat saying Fields has like a 140 passer rating when throwing to DJ Moore.

Yea just get him another one of those (MHJ) and build up the rest of the team instead. Drafting a rookie QB who could be better than him just resets the timeline when your defense is already ready to win now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

They showed a stat saying Fields has like a 140 passer rating when throwing to DJ Moore.

Yea just get him another one of those (MHJ) and build up the rest of the team instead. Drafting a rookie QB who could be better than him just resets the timeline when your defense is already ready to win now.

In his last 17 starts (full season) Justin Fields is:

• 3,004 passing yards
  • 25/11 TD/INT ratio
  • 1,237 rushing yards
  • 8 rushing TDs, 4 fumbles
  • 93 RTG (avg. 88)
  • 12 unflagged hits to the head by the defense

That is 4,241 yards of total offense, 34 TDs and 15 turnovers in his last 'season' of starts

I dont think thats something you get rid of at 24 years old when in reality he's largely been surrounded by coaching flaws and zero defense. Those are his floor statistics with everything around him being wrong. Go load up more talent with high picks (like Joe Alt and Marvin Harrison Jr), change your scheme to fit him better and go win games.

I also say that because I swear if they trade him to the Steelers, I will hate the Bears front office more than I already do.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thee question I have is what is the asking price for Fields? Conditional 2nd?

I mentioned in the Vikings' forum that I had his value as roughly a SRP plus a conditional '25 pick (as high as a 1st, but as low as a 4th with it most likely landing as a late 2nd or early 3rd) or like a 3rd round pick this year plus a conditional pick in 2025 (as high as a 1st, but as low as a 3rd with most likely landing as a SRP).

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

However, taking Caleb Williams might not be as GTD as we may think. Trade that #1 pick for a kings random, draft Marvin Harrison and BUILD around him.

Given the current draft order, I'm not sure you're getting Marvin Harrison Jr. if you're picking any later than 3rd.  Right now, the teams trading up to #1 is taking either Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.  And I think New England is almost certainly taking whoever that team trading up doesn't take.  Arizona at 3 could grab another OT to pair with their FRP last year, Paris Johnson, but I think it's more likely they grab their WR1 in Marvin Harrison Jr.

• Like 1