The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

This in itself is a MASSIVE red flag. Y3, he should be able to ID fronts and make changes. 

No it's not lol. The college game is producing more and more young QBs that aren't familiar with those concepts. Whether Fields should or should not be able to do it is moot. I could easily once again chalk that up to ineffective coaching. Plenty of guys in their rookie contracts do not make line changes. Russell Wilson for YEARS did not make line changes. That job was left to Max Unger. Was that a massive red flag for a guy who made Super Bowls in back to back seasons? 

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Because you should see the front and identify the MIKE AND uncovered spots along a shifting OL on play action. This is QB 101 at the HS level - ID the Mike, identify the hot edge, and when you feel contact incoming *COVER THE BALL UP*. 

Again, you're just assuming there wasn't a missed assignment in the name of blaming Fields. Pretty wild actually. I'm not saying it wasn't Fields fault, I'm more so saying it certainly wasn't entirely his fault & you/I don't know who's fault it was at the end of the day (well, I know it was the coaches fault, because that play call sucks regardless).

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If that makes you feel better, sure. 

It was a fun sentence to type. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Russell Wilson for YEARS did not make line changes. That job was left to Max Unger. Was that a massive red flag for a guy who made Super Bowls in back to back seasons? 

Given what we found out about him post Seattle - yes. It was a red flag, overshadowed by a good coaching staff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Aaaaaand we've come full circle! 

Sounds like we agree, Fields needs a better coaching staff. 

Whatever helps you sleep at night, princess.

EDIT: AND YOU AGREE IT'S A RED FLAG! EVERYTHING IS COMING UP ET!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Caleb Williams could be QB of the 2023 Bears and I honestly don't think the record would be much different.  Maybe 2-3?

I like to say the players have their own ceilings and floors. The coaching staffs can raise or lower either.

The Bears coaching staff has been digging a hole for 3 straight years. Practically made a sub-basement. Lol

• Like 5

It was a nice performance by the Chicago Bears, but last night doesn’t move the needle much for me. More was said about the rest of the Bears’ roster than Fields, IMO. I guess it proved that when everything’s clicking, Fields is good enough not to tank the whole team’s effort, but that’s a pretty low bar for a supposed franchise QB in Year 3. 

DJ getting a million yards in RAC, CBs falling over themselves, missing gimme pick 6s? A defense that is allergic to stopping the run? I’m not going to gush over that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

No it's not lol. The college game is producing more and more young QBs that aren't familiar with those concepts. Whether Fields should or should not be able to do it is moot. I could easily once again chalk that up to ineffective coaching. Plenty of guys in their rookie contracts do not make line changes. Russell Wilson for YEARS did not make line changes. That job was left to Max Unger. Was that a massive red flag for a guy who made Super Bowls in back to back seasons? 

After 3 years, a QB can't identify and make changes at the LOS isn't a major red flag?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Caleb Williams could be QB of the 2023 Bears and I honestly don't think the record would be much different.  Maybe 2-3?

It says more about fields that in year 3 there wouldn’t be a difference with rookie Caleb 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

It says more about fields that in year 3 there wouldn’t be a difference with rookie Caleb 

Actually it doesn't if Caleb is this so called Generational 1 time talent the masses are claiming him to be. 

The NFL is more then just 1 player, 1 QB. 

Coaching Matters: it's the difference from giving say Pat Mahomes Andy Reid and say Trevor Lawrence Urban Myer.

OL and Weapons matter

Running game not led by a QB, matters.

Not being 30th/32nd in Defense in b2b  years, matters. Just saying. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Bears OL isn't doing him any favors, and the coaching staff is actively hurting him... but I think the most prescient thing I've heard regarding Fields is "If there's still too much on his plate after 3 years, the problem is the size of the plate"

He took multiple unnecessary hits today because he wouldn't get rid of the ball when he needed to, including the play he got injured on.

Also, fwiw the bears where finding more success each week by running more and more play action passes.  We looked lost today, and go figure, we ran the lowest number of play action we had run the entire season.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if Fields is a Kirk Cousins level starter  when he's on another team next year and with coaches who just play to the kid's strengths.

• 1 month later...