The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

The league is offensive focused in general. Not sure why the Bears history matters for how to construct a team in todays nfl. However, I don’t think they have the right GM, HC and QB regardless of direction.  

I'm actually starting to be in favor of keeping Ryan Poles as GM, but I think you are right about HC and QB.  Poles has definitely had some major flaws in his time, but he's been architecting a complete bottom up rebuild.  Those situations never go smoothly.  I think his biggest mistake was hiring Eberflus more than anything else, although there are conflicting reports on how much say he actually had in that decision.  Some people say that he chose Eberflus in spite of ownerships opinions, other sources say that he chose him because ownership said he had to pick between 1 or 2 possible candidates. 

Seeing the players he's drafted progress, particularly from this years draft gives me some hope.  Darnell Wright has had rookie matchups that have been tough, but on the whole has been very solid in the passing game and fantastic as a run blocker.  We are seeing huge impacts from Tyrique Stevenson, and I'm confident he's going to be a good player in this league.  Gervon Dexter and Zacch Pickens have been rotational but both have had major flash plays, particularly Dexter, and I think with some more time will develop into strong players.  Roschon Johnson is going to be a starting RB someday and I think Tyler Scott can play a big part too, though he really sucked last week.   The big part of this draft was also the haul he got in negotiating with Carolina, it certainly seems like the Bears made the right decision to trade down, and get DJ Moore as well as this years potential #1 overall pick.  The jury is still out on his draft in 2022, but looks to have some solid impact guys who could be around long term in Kyler Gordon, Jaquan Brisker, and Braxton Jones.  That said, he probably should be fired just for drafting Velus Jones who has literally been the reason for least 4 or 5 losses/failed comebacks.  I'm not even kidding, he's been that bad, he fumbles punts, drops perfect passes, and in general chokes as soon as he's needed.  

I wouldn't really be upset if he were fired, but I won't be mad when he likely keeps his job.  I'm guessing he pitched to ownership that there would be a couple years of pain before any level of success.  A new CEO in Kevin Warren may throw a wrench in that though.  

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

For some reason this is the only thread in the forum I can post in. @e16bball was trying to respond to your Washington Draft Thread but man this thing is glitching out bad. 

I'm right there with yah.  I can't post on any thread but this one.  I'm not on my phone, either.  Laptop.  It's odd.  Oh well.  

Fields needs to learn to protect the football yeesh. That alone is a fireable offense. Also this offense is horribly designed. Good Lord I’ve never seen so many screens, and my coach is Andy Reid. Fields has a great deep ball and I saw it one time, on the last drive to win the game. 

I feel like a good coach could salvage him. Idk if that coach is gonna be in ChiTown. Maybe turn him into a Russel Wilson type with more athletic ability That won’t happen if he can’t hold onto the ball though. 

29 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Also this offense is horribly designed. Good Lord I’ve never seen so many screens, and my coach is Andy Reid. Fields has a great deep ball and I saw it one time, on the last drive to win the game. 

You must not have watched the Cardinals from 2019 to 2022. Kliff Kingsbury's offense had even more screens than this Chicago team. Meanwhile Kyler Murray had a top 5 graded deep ball for three of those years, including two seasons in the number one spot.

I understand the mindset of trying to pull the opposition forwards with screen plays to open up a huge gain deep and then punish their adjustment to the deep ball with even more screens. It can get predictable fast though, and offenses can't survive with the amount of negative plays that screens create when they're a constant. 

3 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Harbaugh + Caleb?

That's been my stance for a bit. I want Harbaugh or Ben Johnson, let them pick their QB which IMO should be Williams. 

3 hours ago, Soko said:

If they decide to fire Eberflus”…

That should terrify Bears fans.

I've been a fan of this team for nearly 30 years. My apathy completely outweighs any fear I have at this point. 

• Like 1