The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

We always seem to be the outlier.

Because we have spent Rivera's entire tenure overdrafting players. We pick them a round too early. The only one's I can think of where this didn't happen was Chase Young and Sam Howell. And in the case of Howell, they claimed to have a 2nd round grade on him and kept passing on him until they basically had to pick him. The drafting history of the Marty's and Rivera was abysmal before they got here. Littered with bad picks. Why anyone thought it would be any different here is beyond me? Snyder should've been an actual owner and made Smith the GM and let him pick the coach but he screwed that up too like he did everything else. Hiring Rivera was the road to nowhere. 3 winning seasons in 12 years and full steam ahead towards 13. All he is is another Jeff Fisher.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Whoever we draft, the FO should secretly be hiring a scouting team to do it. Whoever we have scouting and making up our grades should not have any say. 

It's Rivera. I have said it many times but he also tips our picks to the local media. It happened with the Dotson pick but the most blatant was Forbes. The day before the draft all of our local beat guys said to watch for Forbes. Standig updated his mock to Forbes. The pick got out somehow and then the video surfaced after the draft of Rivera talking about the pick and it was something like "man if Forbes is there" so that was their guy all along. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Because we have spent Rivera's entire tenure overdrafting players. We pick them a round too early. The only one's I can think of where this didn't happen was Chase Young and Sam Howell. And in the case of Howell, they claimed to have a 2nd round grade on him and kept passing on him until they basically had to pick him. The drafting history of the Marty's and Rivera was abysmal before they got here. Littered with bad picks. Why anyone thought it would be any different here is beyond me? Snyder should've been an actual owner and made Smith the GM and let him pick the coach but he screwed that up too like he did everything else. Hiring Rivera was the road to nowhere. 3 winning seasons in 12 years and full steam ahead towards 13. All he is is another Jeff Fisher.

As I reminder, I said this from the minute his hiring broke.  I also telegraphed how he would stay away from free agency as well.  

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It's Rivera. I have said it many times but he also tips our picks to the local media. It happened with the Dotson pick but the most blatant was Forbes. The day before the draft all of our local beat guys said to watch for Forbes. Standig updated his mock to Forbes. The pick got out somehow and then the video surfaced after the draft of Rivera talking about the pick and it was something like "man if Forbes is there" so that was their guy all along. 

Belichick wanted Christian Gonzalez and knew he could acquire more assets to trade behind us, because of this.  Pretty inexcusable.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Belichick wanted Christian Gonzalez and knew he could acquire more assets to trade behind us, because of this.  Pretty inexcusable.  

If you want to know what this team is going to do in free agency or the draft just listen to John Keim. He's about as plugged in as it gets. He started talking about Jahan Dotson as a guy to watch the day of the draft and I blew it off. Low and behold, we take him. The exact same thing happened with Forbes and I'm pretty sure he was on the money about Jamin Davis as well. So he's clued in with someone in the building. 

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As I reminder, I said this from the minute his hiring broke.  I also telegraphed how he would stay away from free agency as well.  

Everything that has been said about him has come true, why is there any hesitation? We, the fans, need to demand a change. Josh Harris is a businessman first and if his pocket is affected, which a loss to the 0-4 Bears at home, by 20, is certain to do, he will need to make changes. 

• Like 1

It appears the ownership will make some maior changes during the upcoming off season. New name new coachs everything . The question is will the new coach strip down the whole roster which he will inherit. It could be a complete overhaul. There will be alot of players the incoming coaching staff will get rid of. Did anyone see the look on MJ face last night. Maybe its just me but he had that Dion Sanders overhaul look.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4209 said:

It appears the ownership will make some maior changes during the upcoming off season. New name new coachs everything . The question is will the new coach strip down the whole roster which he will inherit. It could be a complete overhaul. There will be alot of players the incoming coaching staff will get rid of. Did anyone see the look on MJ face last night. Maybe its just me but he had that Dion Sanders overhaul look.

I think you need to strip down the entire front office and change how things are done.  It’s gotta look like how the Orioles tore down under Mike Elias, and it took him over a year in which to do everything.  We have a lot of similarities to things in how the Orioles did things, where you have people hanging around with their biggest claim to fame being “former Redskin.”  

That’s going to be hiring a new GM, and having a full evaluation of things, and it will take a year to evaluate and make changes and bringing in “their guys.”  A new coaching staff will be the start.  

We aren’t a team with a developed ethos and process, so to expect a one year turnaround like you saw for the Eagles……it isn’t going to happen. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Everything that has been said about him has come true, why is there any hesitation? We, the fans, need to demand a change. Josh Harris is a businessman first and if his pocket is affected, which a loss to the 0-4 Bears at home, by 20, is certain to do, he will need to make changes. 

Look at how he tanked in the NBA, and tell me if he isn’t going to let a brief period of downturn affect the long-term outlook.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think you need to strip down the entire front office and change how things are done.  It’s gotta look like how the Orioles tore down under Mike Elias, and it took him over a year in which to do everything.  We have a lot of similarities to things in how the Orioles did things, where you have people hanging around with their biggest claim to fame being “former Redskin.”  

That’s going to be hiring a new GM, and having a full evaluation of things, and it will take a year to evaluate and make changes and bringing in “their guys.”  A new coaching staff will be the start.  

We aren’t a team with a developed ethos and process, so to expect a one year turnaround like you saw for the Eagles……it isn’t going to happen. 

Excellent post. Pretty much the position I’ve been holding since he took over too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They brought in a bad head coach who couldn't succeed without Cam Newton being Superman. They hired three former bad GMs and these are the guys as a collective building this roster. How anyone ever thought Rivera would save his job here or get moved to the front office is beyond me? Harris has torn down the two organizations he's purchased and let his team build them back into perennial contenders. All this season was was to see who they were keeping on the roster when the tear down began. My guess is Rivera is fired at the end of the season along with everyone else including Jason Wright and a new staff is brought in and a team is hired to begin a search for a GM. He's not going to let this team languish for years under bad management. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They brought in a bad head coach who couldn't succeed without Cam Newton being Superman. They hired three former bad GMs and these are the guys as a collective building this roster. How anyone ever thought Rivera would save his job here or get moved to the front office is beyond me? Harris has torn down the two organizations he's purchased and let his team build them back into perennial contenders. All this season was was to see who they were keeping on the roster when the tear down began. My guess is Rivera is fired at the end of the season along with everyone else including Jason Wright and a new staff is brought in and a team is hired to begin a search for a GM. He's not going to let this team languish for years under bad management. 

I agree with most of this as well. The only thing I would add or change is that I hope Harris has already begun the process (even if preliminaries) on finding his President/GM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Mostly I agree. I’m not defending Rivera, even a blind squirrel finds a nut but we didn’t over draft Curl, Cosmi or Smith Williams and I know they haven’t been as good this year but going by last year we didn’t overdraft Forrest & Juice. 

I was so wrong about Rivera & @naptownskinsfan was so right. It was a meh hire at best. 

This team is going to end up 7-10 again, I just know it and I 🙏 that Harris fires Rivera like Temper did at least a month before the season so he can evaluate Bieniemy as the HC.

Edited by turtle28