The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

On 10/9/2023 at 4:35 PM, offbyone said:

I would also point out that our next coach will unlikely run the 2 linebacker scheme.  I think we need to completely overhaul our linebackers.   But I would still draft a tackle with our top pick.  Leno has honestly been great, but we need to look to future and he is cuttable or tradeable this offseason.

You can say this for the past decade plus with this team.  Even when we ran a 3-4, the ILB’s left a lot to be desired.  For that whole length of time, we struggle to cover TEs and RBs, and it’s a direct cause of not having the athletic talent at the linebacker position. 

14 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You can say this for the past decade plus with this team.  Even when we ran a 3-4, the ILB’s left a lot to be desired.  For that whole length of time, we struggle to cover TEs and RBs, and it’s a direct cause of not having the athletic talent at the linebacker position. 

Yeah I am looking forward to a new defensive coordinator.  Really too bad we couldn't see what another DC would do with this talent why we had them together.  

My favorite players for us that I think we will actually have a shot at

1. Brock Bowers

2. Amarius Mims

3. Rome Odunze

4. Kingsley Suamataia

5. Graham Barton

6. Jeremiah Trotter Jr

7. Blake Corum

8. JT Tuimoloau

9. Chop Robinson

10. Will Shipley

Report: USC Caleb Williams wants partial ownership from the #NFL  team that will select him in the 2024 Draft, per @ProFootballTalk 

PFT reported in July that Caleb's representatives had been making it known that Williams wants partial ownership of the team that selects him in 2024, if he declares for the draft.

Haven’t thrown a pass yet in the NFL and wants a piece of the team. Some set!

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Report: USC Caleb Williams wants partial ownership from the #NFL  team that will select him in the 2024 Draft, per @ProFootballTalk 

PFT reported in July that Caleb's representatives had been making it known that Williams wants partial ownership of the team that selects him in 2024, if he declares for the draft.

I hope he enjoys not playing football. No billionaire owner is going to offer any form of team ownership to a draft pick, period. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

LOL. Clown. Zippy chance that ANY owner is going to give partial ownership to ANY player while they are playing. Now, if a player retires and wants to buy into a team, that's a different story. 

So I hope Caleb hasn't spent all his NIL money. That will be the last money he makes from football

5 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

I don’t believe that report.

It's everywhere my guy. This wasn't a one anonymous source thing. His representation has been making this known and maybe it's a ploy for the really bad teams to pass over him, but it's a really bad look for Caleb Williams. 

It’s just a bizarre thing to say, truly. 

How would that possibly work? What is the cap impact of giving a player a share of ownership? What happens if he gets traded or released? How do you sell that to his teammates (and the guys he’s competing against for a position) who don’t own a portion of the team?

I guess he can say that all he wants, but it’s really never going to happen. 24 franchise owners are not going to vote to change the rules to allow players to extort them out of percentages of what they own.

For now, I’ll just treat this as his “Eli Manning mechanism” to force his way to a preferred destination. And I’ll also just assumed his preferred destination is “home.”

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, e16bball said:

How would that possibly work? What is the cap impact of giving a player a share of ownership? What happens if he gets traded or released? How do you sell that to his teammates (and the guys he’s competing against for a position) who don’t own a portion of the team?

I guess he can say that all he wants, but it’s really never going to happen. 24 franchise owners are not going to vote to change the rules to allow players to extort them out of percentages of what they own.

For now, I’ll just treat this as his “Eli Manning mechanism” to force his way to a preferred destination. And I’ll also just assumed his preferred destination is “home.”

I always thought it was weird how Billy Beane was given partial ownership of the Athletics, and that was a front office guy.  I just can’t get behind that as a player.  

It’s a good year for QBs too, but I hope someone can draft him and pull a Marty and just sit him on a restricted list if he is really pulling an Eli here.  No way do I see the owners getting behind this at all.  

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I'd hate to use a first round pick on Sam's back up

• Like 1

Have not watched a single college game live this year — your kid making travel soccer means you commit your entire life to it, evidently — but I’ve had a chance to watch some of the cut-ups of the top OTs.

I find Alt and Fashanu to be pretty interchangeable. I actually think Alt is the better player right now, but I do see what people like about Fashanu’s athletic package. He’s got much more ability to re-direct and re-anchor, which can be a big deal. He probably has more functional power too, and you probably want him on the move a little more than Alt. I saw it described as a “sure double” with Alt, and a “home run swing” with Fashanu, and I think that’s probably fair. Alt looks like a great bet to be one of these Taylor Decker, Taylor Lewan, Kolton Miller type LTs that plays a decade at a borderline Pro Bowl level. 

Behind them, I don’t love it. Amarius Mims, my goodness, talk about boom or bust. There’s not much out there to watch on him because he’s barely played, but you see the things people fall in love with. He’s huge, he’s more than athletic enough to compete with the best guys in the country, he’s got basically limitless power in his hands. The interview would be everything with him, because a lot of the time he’s just flat out missing guys, sort of drifting around, etc. Can you draft a guy with 5 college starts in the 1st round?

Like most Alabama linemen, JC Latham doesn’t do much for me. Strong hands, nasty finisher when he latches on to you, another guy who seems to miss a lot. He doesn’t seem to be a particularly high effort guy. Feels like a 2nd round “is he a tackle or would he be better at guard” type from the little bit I watched — not because of physical limitations, just because I don’t think he’s very good in space (but he’s clearly strong as hell). 

Graham Barton feels like the other side of the coin, where I think he’s probably a lesser version of Peter Skoronski. He could probably be a decent NFL OT, but I’m not sold on the physical profile. I’ve seen some list him at OC, and that sounds interesting to me. Good player though.

Kingsley Suamataia is sort of a lesser version of Mims to me. Also not a lot out there on him (nothing I can find from this year), he seems like a huge dude who moves pretty well — but based on last year’s film at least, there was too much inconsistency to see him as a plug and play starter.

• Like 3