In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

52 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I still think it's going to be a hard road for him to get another HC job, considering how he burned some bridges last time around.  I also think he's going to be more careful about what job he considers taking.  I think the quality of ownership will play a factor, which may eliminate him from some obvious potential opportunities, like the Raiders or Chargers.  I could see him going to a team like Washington, if they decide to move on from Riverboat Ron.  

This is ultimately what I'm hoping happens. He needs to "Dan Quinn" it and wait for the perfect opportunity as it will likely be his last.

Also, I think Washington goes with Eric Bieniemy if they move on from Rivera.

• Like 1

I like what Flores is doing with an undermanned unit.  As long as our players are able to tackle in space when the ball get's out quick, and take good angles, I like the approach better than what we did last with with just trying not to get beat over the top.

Now, last night had a couple examples of where it can go wrong with the swing to McCaffrey were it was 3 on 3 and no one is going to tackle McCaffrey 1 on 1 with that much space, and Metellus taking a couple of questionable angles on some scrambles, but the players are largely flying around, wreaking havoc, and are seemingly having a lot of fun with the scheme.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

This defense has improved week after week.  Flores is great. It would be interesting to see if the Vikings might pick up a true nose tackle before the trade deadline?

Not a ton of nose tackles on expiring deals that aren't on contender teams (DJ Reader on the Bengals, but doubt they move him).  Someone like A'Shawn Robinson (not a nose), could be available from the Giants as he's not getting a ton of snaps and might be a good DL depth piece.

If the Bears would trade Andrew Billings in division, he's on an expiring contract and having a pretty good year.

@wcblack34

@swede700 had the snaps posted in the GDT, wasn't sure how to copy it over here.

"Booth only playing 13 snaps feels like a situation of who you are playing rather than deteriorating performance. It is notable that Mekhi Blackmon didn’t play a single snap."

https://sports.yahoo.com/snap-counts-vikings-22-17-145503073.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEYxkf-tEq7DjXAJ9t0pWSgYv9_RaDYaULkLATuHJ7ZxJcMS3Z1W_utYrolT_6F-V-LBvcXAMHD003U-sHMIsdNWVmTRXNtavDCIwTjKbLO9hV1yTq0DWTawTnEx_QW6TOd2RgpFQPoSnJ5tQMBcnljxMLo99Jpi-WmlrPIDFvUc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I still think it's going to be a hard road for him to get another HC job, considering how he burned some bridges last time around.  I also think he's going to be more careful about what job he considers taking.  I think the quality of ownership will play a factor, which may eliminate him from some obvious potential opportunities, like the Raiders or Chargers.  I could see him going to a team like Washington, if they decide to move on from Riverboat Ron.  

I’m with you. I don’t see Flores being a one and gone DC. 

His next HC coaching job is going to be his last opportunity, so he should be very selective. Which is likely why he pulled out of the Arizona job last year, despite being one of their finalists. 

Also, it’s still the trend to hire the offensive minded guy. That’s going to get Flores crossed off some lists all together. Maybe even more so when you look at which teams might be looking for a new head coach. The Bears, Chargers, Saints, Bucs, and possibly Washington and Tennessee all currently have defensive minded head coaches. I’m not sure I see them going after another. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m with you. I don’t see Flores being a one and gone DC. 

His next HC coaching job is going to be his last opportunity, so he should be very selective. Which is likely why he pulled out of the Arizona job last year, despite being one of their finalists. 

Also, it’s still the trend to hire the offensive minded guy. That’s going to get Flores crossed off some lists all together. Maybe even more so when you look at which teams might be looking for a new head coach. The Bears, Chargers, Saints, Bucs, and possibly Washington and Tennessee all currently have defensive minded head coaches. I’m not sure I see them going after another. 

Hopefully it's not wishful thinking, but I'm with you as well.  I would love to have some coordinator continuity from year to year.  He was in ahead of the draft last year by a couple months, but having him know the current roster and what he needs will be very helpful come free agency and the draft.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I like how flexible he is.  If I read that right they had 4 safeties on the field for 7 plays? And they must not have liked the matchup for pace so they adjusted and he barely played

Pace would’ve gotten washed out last night. Excellent point on his flexibility

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I like how flexible he is.  If I read that right they had 4 safeties on the field for 7 plays? And they must not have liked the matchup for pace so they adjusted and he barely played

Yeah I think Mettellus is taking over for Pace at this point. Maybe that's just more opponent directed though? A dynamic team like San Fran might require that. Teams that run often like Atlanta might be where we see Pace more.

I love that players that looked lost last year are transformed this year. Hicks, Bynum, Harry, and even Hunter. Even without elite talent, we are maximizing what we have and playing to our defenders strength. Flores is the anti-Donatell.