Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

"Young would've been really good if only he landed in a better situation like Stroud" - people in this thread a year ago.

I had one guy here go on and on about how HWS doesn’t matter as much as the mental part of the game. 

The thing is if you don’t have HWS you’re not gonna survive long enough to develop the mental part of your game. A real paradox if you ask me. 

• Like 1

It's the Mac Jones situation all over again.

Guy who comes into the league from an elite Alabama program, where he's extremely well-protected, and looks "pro-ready" but only has average physical tools (including significant deficiencies). The team fails to surround him with a good structure, and he has his confidence rattled to the point that he significantly regresses. 

The same thing would've happened to Tua if the Dolphins hadn't gone all in on making life easy for him in year 3. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, DawgX said:

And I want what drugs those people are taking. Stroud was so easily the better prospect in my mind. The only argument people had was that OSU QBs sucked in the pros, which is the lamest argument.

Now that Snyder is gone, probably true. But I'm a Browns fan dealing with Jimmy Haslem, so IDK.

It's not that lame of an argument. Being surrounded by some of the best offensive talent like the previous Ohio State QB's. I wasn't too high on him because of it

I’m of the mindset that the HWS stuff isn’t a bar, but it’s a hindrance. Like any physical deficiency, your game and skill set have to work around it. Tom Brady wasn’t particularly thicc or fast, but he was elite at every aspect of the position otherwise. Donald Penn had short arms but he still played LT successfully. Desean Jackson was 175lbs but still was an awesome WR. Cooper Kupp and Jarvis Landry ran 4.6s. 

The problem is it doesn’t look like his game is there. I don’t know what happened to the kid but all the skills he displayed at Alabama (albeit in a cushy situation) just seemed to have disappeared. 

15 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I don't think we really understood just how small he is when he was in college.

I did. He's like 5'9" and is awful. He had Devonta Smith running wide open with no defenders within 10 yards of him. The current QB for North Dakota State University could have made those throws. He doesn't have the tools to make all the throws at the NFL level. He's just bad.

If it’s impossible to succeed  and see receivers at his height, why is Kyler Murray at least showing starting caliber QB play at the exact same height?

Kyler’s a better athlete and has a better arm, obviously, but then it’s not just a height issue anymore. I do think his arm looks pretty average, tbf. Not helping him when he’s bailing.