Do we see another NFL dynasty in the making like the Patriots or more parity?

Championshiporbust

for my mind it would require a perfect storm of circumstance. 

A GM that can find lots of mid level talent across the roster. 

The best QB in the league. 

One or two great skill players

An amazing Pass rusher at HOf level

A defensive leader like a Ray Lewis. to keep the whole unit functioning. 

For my mind it would take those componenets to make it happen, which is possible but not probabale. 

@Shady Slim 

AllBlacks at the top - Just the clear number 1 team for well over 10 years now, only losing on average once or twice per year. Absurd. 

Then it's the New England Patriots

Then I'm considering something like Ferrari in the 00s or current Mercedes. 

Manchester United in the 00s as well.

24 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@Shady Slim 

AllBlacks at the top - Just the clear number 1 team for well over 10 years now, only losing on average once or twice per year. Absurd. 

Then it's the New England Patriots

Then I'm considering something like Ferrari in the 00s or current Mercedes. 

Manchester United in the 00s as well.

actually that's an incredibly solid point regarding the all blacks they're top tier

i refuse to acknowledge the existence of the bledisloe cup bc it's nothing aside from pure humiliation on australia's side

man u is another interesting one bc pro soccer in europe is set up such that it allows for superteams 

you've got the gretzky era oilers but you can attribute a lot of that to, yknow, gretzky, so that's a bit different

3 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

First, let's establish this . . .

NE 2001 - Present:

Over the course of 17 seasons, Belichick has a regular season record of 206 -62 record (.768) and a postseason record of 25-9 (.735)

17 straight seasons w/ a winning record. (current. i.e. no losing record)

15 straight seasons w/ 10+ wins (current)

7 straight seasons w/ 12+ wins (current season pending)

5 total season w/ 14 or more wins.

14 postseason appearances (current season pending)

8 straight postseason appearances (current season pending)

7 Super Bowl Appearances

5 Super Bowl Championships

Undefeated regular season

Yes ladies & gentlemen, New England is a dynasty. And not only is New England a dynasty, but it's one that encompasses 17 seasons, making it the most dominant dynasty in the history of the NFL. Look at those numbers again. It's absolutely absurd what they've done in an era designed for parity w/ free agency and continual roster fluctuations. Every single year they are in contention for not only a postseason appearance, but are legitimate Super Bowl contenders as well.

And no, I don't think we'll ever see such dominance ever again that remotely equates to what we are seeing now from the Patriots and Bill Belichick. Maybe a handful of years by another franchise here and there, but no one will ever come close to dominating the NFL for almost 2 decades. It's extraordinary.

nope, The Browns did it first...and longer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cleveland_Browns_seasons

YyhzEOHs_o.png

for fun-heres Redskins 1982 to 91

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_Redskins_seasons

5 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

i think the belichick-brady era pats aren't just the greatest dynasty in nfl history but in sporting history

like sure the st george illawarra dragons won like twelve straight NSWRL championships in the sixties and around but we're in an era where everything in sport is geared to parity - salary caps and money talking - that prevent a true superteam from emerging in the nfl (and as just an aside, i really don't think you can consider a superteam like GSW the greatest ever even if they win fifteen straight due to competitive imbalance), and yet the new englanders have done unreasonably brilliant things outside the realm of us mere mortals 

There's this franchise called the New York Yankees. You might be familiar with them.

5 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

hadn't heard of him... just did a quick search and that's quite amazing

+1

You must be awfully young.  ;)

How the Pats are doing what they are doing in the parity driven league is absolutely unprecedented and remarkable. I hope NE fans are cherishing this run.  Once BB and Brady hang it up they will never see this kind of success again.

14 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Jordan Bulls

6/8 >>>>5/16

Even in the top heavy NBA that’s bananas 

This. Jordan won his rings during the golden era. No team ups back then - Jordan went up against all time greats such as Ewing, Stockton/Malone, Barkley, Robinson, Olaijuwon, Showtime Magic, Bird, the bad boys in Detroit, Shaq, Reggie Miller - won six titles in that timeframe, two separate three peats.

What Brady has done is close, but not quite there.

8 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

In my opinion, the 49ers were a real dynasty from 1981-94. They won five titles in fourteen seasons (four, to me, is minimum for a real dynasty. And, the last one has to be within five years of the next to last).

The Pats from 2001-today are a soft dynasty. They have five SB titles, but their fourth was ten years after their third.

The big thing is that between there 3rd and 4th they did actually go to two Super Bowls and went to the 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, and 2013 AFCCG's. So even though they didn't actually win it for that stretch from 2001-present they never went more than a 3 year stretch without appearing in a Super Bowl and then were pretty much always one of the semi finalists. Also it's moreof a deliniation of time thing than an actual accomplishment thing. Like if they won Super Bowls in 2001, 2004, 2007, 2011 and 2014 but lost in 03 and 16 and then went to all the same AFCCG's they'd have accomplished the same thing but by spreading it out more you wouldn't have that gap year. 

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

This. Jordan won his rings during the golden era. No team ups back then - Jordan went up against all time greats such as Ewing, Stockton/Malone, Barkley, Robinson, Olaijuwon, Showtime Magic, Bird, the bad boys in Detroit, Shaq, Reggie Miller - won six titles in that timeframe, two separate three peats.

What Brady has done is close, but not quite there.

This is kind of minnomer. Jordan benefitted from all the old dynastys dying literally right around the beginning of his run. The Lakers were on their last leg, Bird was done on the Celtics, and the Bad Boy Pistons were a shell of themselves. And none of the teams Jordan faced were on that level. You could literally argue every team Lebron faced in a finals was better than every team Jordan faced in a finals. 

Also when it comes to basketball Magic won 5 in 9 years in a more competitive era and Russell won 11 in a 13 year run. Kobe won 5 in the 2000's. And in the 2010's Lebron went to 6 straight finals despite only winning 3 so far. So that level of success does happen more frequently in basketball. 

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Celtics won 8 straight titles and 11 of 13. Patriots aren't even Massachusetts' greatest dynasty.

Please. Comparing the NBA to the NFL? Where you can buy a team in the offseason and one significant addition accounts for 20% of your team's performance?

There have been 8 instances in the NFL of repeat champions. No team has ever won it thrice in a row.

In the NBA, that's happened 14 times even if you don't count any of the Celtics' championships. Four times a team has accomplished a three-peat, again without the Celtics. It's clearly much easier to achieve a "dynasty".

Archived