2023-2024 NBA GDT: Offseason

11sanchez11

18 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think the play in rewards mediocrity. It devalues the regular season when you can come 10th of 15 teams in your conference, yet still be just 2 road wins from the playoffs.

Yeah, I hear that.  That's how I felt originally, but I do appreciate the 7v8 and 9v10 setup.  The regular season is already pretty devalued at 82 games and over 50% of the league making the playoffs.  The NBA has kind of always worked like that.  They've always added playoff slots as they've added teams.  There was a point in the early-mid 80's, prior to the expansion era, when they expanded to the postseason format to closer to where it is now, and 16 of 23 teams were making the playoffs lol.  Now I just kind of view it as the most recent expansion of the playoff that they didn't really do when they added the Raptors, Grizz and Hornets (Bobcats).   

There is just something special about "single elimination" basketball when the stakes are high, and the only way the NBA was able to create that previously through game 7's.  It's a nice a little appetizer before leading into the longer drawn out rounds of the actual playoffs. 

I understand Kingram's position for sure though lol.  Getting bounced as a 7 would be stupid, but at least you get 2 home games to get 1 win.  It's just interesting to me to see some of the vet laden teams not be afraid to hang around there and try and compete out of those slots.   

4 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Yeah, I hear that.  That's how I felt originally, but I do appreciate the 7v8 and 9v10 setup.  The regular season is already pretty devalued at 82 games and over 50% of the league making the playoffs.  The NBA has kind of always worked like that.  They've always added playoff slots as they've added teams.  There was a point in the early-mid 80's, prior to the expansion era, when they expanded to the postseason format to closer to where it is now, and 16 of 23 teams were making the playoffs lol.  Now I just kind of view it as the most recent expansion of the playoff that they didn't really do when they added the Raptors, Grizz and Hornets (Bobcats).   

There is just something special about "single elimination" basketball when the stakes are high, and the only way the NBA was able to create that previously through game 7's.  It's a nice a little appetizer before leading into the longer drawn out rounds of the actual playoffs. 

I understand Kingram's position for sure though lol.  Getting bounced as a 7 would be stupid, but at least you get 2 home games to get 1 win.  It's just interesting to me to see some of the vet laden teams not be afraid to hang around there and try and compete out of those slots.   

We just had the Heat make the Finals after getting a 7th seed and being reseeded as an 8th seed last year.

That is the peak of what NBA is looking for.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 1:58 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

I think the play in rewards mediocrity. It devalues the regular season when you can come 10th of 15 teams in your conference, yet still be just 2 road wins from the playoffs.

Does it though?  Last year, the 8th and 10th place teams were separated by a SINGLE game.  Ironically speaking, the 7th and 8th team based on EoY standings ended up making the playoffs.  The difference between the 7th seed (LA Lakers) and 10th seed (Oklahoma City) was 3 games.  Let's not pretend like teams that are well below-.500 are making the playoffs over teams that are.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Does it though?  Last year, the 8th and 10th place teams were separated by a SINGLE game.  Ironically speaking, the 7th and 8th team based on EoY standings ended up making the playoffs.  The difference between the 7th seed (LA Lakers) and 10th seed (Oklahoma City) was 3 games.  Let's not pretend like teams that are well below-.500 are making the playoffs over teams that are.

You say 3 games like it isn't a lot. If you had a 3 game lead in the standings during the regular season, are you looking behind you? No you aren't. 

66% of the conference is given, at very worst, a 2 game chance of the playoffs. That's ridiculous. Personally, I think 8 teams is too many if you are going to play as many regular season games as the NBA do.

6 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Lakers planning to fire Darvin Ham by the end of the week.  

That's not really shocking given how their regular season went despite LeBron and AD staying relatively healthy.  A deep playoff run was likely the only way he was going to keep his job...

At this point do you really want the Lakers to draft Bronny? Would make this a circuís shows. Lebron has so much power though it’s almost a given. He just brings in too much revenue to say now. Do you trade AD while his value is at his highest? What do you do. The west keeps getting better and the lakers keep getting older… 

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's not really shocking given how their regular season went despite LeBron and AD staying relatively healthy.  A deep playoff run was likely the only way he was going to keep his job...

Have you heard anything about who will be the frontrunners?