The Michigan/Sign Stealing Thread

BobbyPhil1781

Say what you want, but here’s why it’s a “big deal”.

Harbaugh, despite his quirks and major personality intricacies, has made no small stance on building everything about his brand on hard work and integrity, going as far as to call out conferences for cheating and other comments towards specific coaches and programs about having an unfair advantage.

It’s why so many people who weren’t OSU fans loved seeing the fall of Jim Tressel; they believed his message to be fraudulent because of compliance and cover up issues.

The lengths that coaches on this staff and university higher ups went to in order to not just cheat but then willfully destroy evidence and threaten litigation really leaves a bad taste in everyone’s mouths, Michigan fans included in many cases.

Seeing storylines about vindication and whatnot is comical considering they have done this up until about a month to 5-6 weeks ago to gain an unfair advantage in all past and future games is also sad. The damage is done.

They are now basically in a “no win” situation. If they win, it’ll be seen as tainted and likely eventually vacated and if they lose, the entire narrative forever is that they flipped the rivalry due to cheating, which would make me sad as a fan.

It’s really just sad in general and things like this are why I decided after doing it as a player for 4 years and a GA for about a year I couldn’t coach college sports. You either stay principled and get fired for losing the right way or make hundreds of concessions and compromises along the way and win and lose who you are.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 5

On 11/24/2023 at 6:23 AM, MWil23 said:

They are now basically in a “no win” situation.

Also literally a no win situation once the NCAA vacates them.

But the funny part is if every single step along the way Michigan can file lawsuits and lose. They're gonna go 0'for and the meatballs will still think they're one break away.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Also literally a no win situation once the NCAA vacates them.

But the funny part is if every single step along the way Michigan can file lawsuits and lose. They're gonna go 0'for and the meatballs will still think they're one break away.

Why would you think a game after Stalions is gone and Harbaugh is suspended would be vacated?  That’s not how it works. The “scandal” is over so only wins that would potentially get vacated are past games.  This game would not be vacated noir would any playoff game.  USC didnt vacate wins for games after Bush or other paid players were gone.  Also like I’ve said before no one cares about vacated wins and never have. That’s why everyone wants the rush to judgment.  Time goes on , people don’t care. No one argues USC didn’t win a national title because the ncaa vacated it, in fact I herd USC referenced all off season as the amongst the most recent teams to try for a 3rd straight national title. 

On 11/24/2023 at 7:23 AM, MWil23 said:

It’s really just sad in general and things like this are why I decided after doing it as a player for 4 years and a GA for about a year I couldn’t coach college sports. You either stay principled and get fired for losing the right way or make hundreds of concessions and compromises along the way and win and lose who you are.

I’ve gotten to meet a few coaches over the years through work at the Naval Academy, and this is kinda why they are actually at the academy.  They just couldn’t stand some of the things that happened at other programs.  They would rather try to get that middle top 25 rank with a talent like Keenan Reynolds, then go through some up and down years, knowing they were developing players for something greater than the program.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Good win. Sounds more like NCAA is leaning on not vacating wins. Not sure I see that as end result but maybe the Big Ten suspensions satisfy NCAA. That would be odd

Where are you seeing they won't vacate wins? I have a hard time believing that to be true especially considering the infraction ruined the integrity of the game.

• 1 month later...

The question was never about stealing signs, but doing so in a manner that’s against the rules and crosses some obvious lines. The hammer is going to drop on this eventually. I think the question at this point is whether it will negate this current season or be more of an issue in the previous couple. I do think the discipline will be extreme.

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The question was never about stealing signs, but doing so in a manner that’s against the rules and crosses some obvious lines. The hammer is going to drop on this eventually. I think the question at this point is whether it will negate this current season or be more of an issue in the previous couple. I do think the discipline will be extreme.

Part of this whole ordeal was "was Connor the lone wolf" though. This completely destroys that notion if I am reading it correctly. This would indicate that not only did he know, but other players knew, and undoubtedly, other coaches as well.

I have to believe this quote is taken out of context b/c while McCarthy is an utter douchebag, he can't be this naive and stupid.... 

It will be interesting to see what they do if Michigan wins the title.  I say its 50/50 split on what I am reading on those who think it will be stripped.

I do think regardless though Harbaugh is gone after this year.  I think he is on to NFL.