2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Probably won’t help our trade prospects if everyone is talking about how Carolina was fleeced.   You don’t want to be next guy that gets fleeced.  

Teams will do what’s necessary to move up for their QB.  Also, the Claypool trade negates some of that Carolina fleecing.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Probably won’t help our trade prospects if everyone is talking about how Carolina was fleeced.   You don’t want to be next guy that gets fleeced.  

We probably wont get a high end player in a deal (DJ Moore) if we would trade it again, but it would just be offset with more Draft picks, since they are more uncertain assets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The main reason Carolina was fleeced is because Bryce has looked terrible and Stroud has looked like the next big deal. They chose wrong (at least so far), and no one would care about the deal if Bryce looked like Stroud does. 

Beyond that, that whole situation in Carolina looks worse and worse in general. They traded away all their best talent, and then drafted poorly, in part because their owner is an idiot and got in the way. Now their staff is getting blamed for his screw ups. 

Edited by Epyon

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

the will they/wont they dance around the #1 pick is just going to be so much worse than last year and it just wont be resolved until the pick is traded or justin is

Other things to watch are

1. Harbaugh potential extension in Michigan. They're trying to lock him in with a clause that he won't take interviews for the nfl.... Rumors are this is his by far preferred job in the league... So he won't sign Michigan with this being a possibility

2. Black Monday, whether Flus is still the coach. I don't think this team is stupid enough to draft a new qb with a potential lame duck head coach.... YET AGAIN. If the team is going to move on from JF1, Flus is gone, imo, and that's well before JF1 is traded. 

Edited by Epyon

28 minutes ago, Epyon said:

1. Harbaugh potential extension in Michigan. They're trying to lock him in with a clause that he won't take interviews for the nfl.... Rumors are this is his by far preferred job in the league... So he won't sign Michigan with this being a possibility

What Rumors? The people on this Forum hoping for him?

Because if anything recently, its people realizing/remembering that Warren and Harbaugh do not like each other, not that this is his "preferred job"

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

What Rumors? The people on this Forum hoping for him?

Because if anything recently, its people realizing/remembering that Warren and Harbaugh do not like each other, not that this is his "preferred job"

Warren and Fields didn't like each other either due to the covid issue in college. Time heals all as does money as does spending actual time together

However I agree. I haven't seen this is his preferred job anywhere

Edited by beardown3231

48 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

If I'm correct, despite beating the Lions, our draft pick only dropped one spot. Not terrible.

Yep and if WAS wins their next game coming off bye we're back at 4 ha ha 

After surreal  ****show start to this season, we are 1 game behind GB 🤣 

Edited by SLCbear

22 hours ago, dll2000 said:

To get number 1 overall two years in a row can be franchise changing. 

Ideally Both Fields and Caleb would have played awesome this year.  That didn’t happen.  

Also hurts that a lot of big trade ups for QB have not worked out in recent years.  Which will cause some to question wisdom of it. 

But it is still a good position to be in. 

I’m just waiting for the upheaval when we pick 1st, decide to draft a QB and trade Fields, then the FO assesses that they like Maye better than Williams. Fans have been brainwashing themselves that Williams is the only QB worthy of 1-1 when that hasn’t been the case all year for most draft analysts. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m just waiting for the upheaval when we pick 1st, decide to draft a QB and trade Fields, then the FO assesses that they like Maye better than Williams. Fans have been brainwashing themselves that Williams is the only QB worthy of 1-1 when that hasn’t been the case all year for most draft analysts. 

No matter what happens I will have known right answer in hindsight.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

No matter what happens I will have known right answer in hindsight.  

This is how it should be too. You'd look really stupid to be wrong in hindsight. After all, none of the rest of us have ever been. Lol

True. But people will flip out no matter what.

A) Draft Williams and people will scream, "He's too mentally weak, just another diva, watch him bust."

B) Draft Maye and get "Trubisky 2.0" or "they missed on another Mahomes lolololol"

C) Trade for a haul and "missed on two All Pro blue chip talents at QB, Bears will be Bears."

• Like 1

The Caleb Williams debate is so predictable, but also so strange at the same time. There are 3 camps, and 2 of them are VERY loud, but are likely smaller combined than the 3rd.

First, If you were all in on Williams to start this year, the results and criticism have just made you double down on how great he is, without admitting there may be some questions to his game. And want to claim its a bunch of umm... (Something I cant bring up on FF without getting threads locked) on the other side who are just picking on him because he is alittle different.

And on the other side, you have the group that the first group is pointing at, who arent what they are calling them, but they are such haters, they cant cant give him any praise while pointing out everything bad and weird about him. 

Id say the first group is like 15% of the Draft/Football fans in the conversation, and the second group is probably only about 10%. With the other 75% of people who are more rational, and have the ability to like him, but see the issues. I know Im not breaking new ground here, its the world today, but this "debate" from that 25% is extremely loud, and in reality is about something other than the Football player.

In reality, Williams got overhyped just like every other Top QB who had to stay in College for an extra year after they exploded onto the scene. He is still a Great Prospect, but he isnt generational like alot of us thought (we use that WAY too much). He is exciting, he is athletic, but he is on the smaller size with small hands (Fumbling issues), but can make some great off balance throws outside of structure, but that is also dangerous as we move into a more structured level of football, where it can still be exciting, but Defenses are much better to take advantage of those tyope of risks. 

The civil side of the CW debate is going to be crazy to begin with, add in the fringes and its going to be Banana Land this offseason

The even more crazy discussion for us is going to be what we do (Fields/Draft Pick), because there is alot of good points on every side, and is going to have so many ripples from it. Because it seems more likely than not that we end up with that #1 pick. 

• Like 2