Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Bears really getting desperate.

Ehhh.  Roman might not be the best OC for a team trying to get over the hump in the playoffs like the Ravens were.  But I actually think he'd be great for a team like Chicago that is just trying to get back to the postseason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Who is the favorite for Carolina? Hoping they let go of Ejiro so Philly can sign him as DC.

When Raheem gets hired away, Evero is returning to LA and Sean Mac. You guys have Matt Patricia. That genius is your guy.

52 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I was told they didn't cheat, and it was all rogue employee(s). Curious to see this stipulation being included from Harbaugh's side.

Why? Makes perfect sense what he's asking for:

Harbaugh is seeking a matrix of fines be spelled out if there are any future NCAA violations as well as prohibiting the school’s athletic director from firing him “for cause” and instead having that decision, should it ever arise, rest in a three-member arbitration panel, sources said.

Both parties know he did it, so spell the fines out now, and I actually agree with Harbaugh that Michigan signing him to a deal they know they have a back-alley eject button from is shady as ****. If they think the scandal is that big a deal, then there shouldn't be a new contract period.

This part's funnier:

Harbaugh is also seeking a delay in the start date of the new contract to maintain a lower buyout that NFL teams would have to pay Michigan to hire him away. The buyout in his current contract dropped from $2.25 million to $1.5 million on January 11. Michigan is seeking that to rise to about $4 million in a new deal. Harbaugh has sought to have the new deal not start until Feb. 15, thus maintaining the lower, and more favorable, buyout number until after the NFL hiring cycle has concluded.

May as well write it out: "Harbaugh interested in the Chargers job", no other owner is that cheap

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Why? Makes perfect sense what he's asking for:

Both parties know he did it, so spell the fines out now, and I actually agree with Harbaugh that Michigan signing him to a deal they know they have a back-alley eject button from is shady as ****. If they think the scandal is that big a deal, then there shouldn't be a new contract period.

This part's funnier:

May as well write it out: "Harbaugh interested in the Chargers job", no other owner is that cheap

There are others but none in contention for Harbaugh like the Chargers.

21 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I wouldn’t;t mind him or McDonald in Washington.  I also think that Morris working with Shanahan and McVay will lead to him being able to recruit a great offensive mind to rum his offense too.  

A caveat to that though is that Morris' roots trace a bit further back to Gruden (and, IIRC, that was how he ended up in Washington to begin with when Jay Gruden was brought in).  The pool of viable McVay/Shanahan guys actually familiar enough with the principles of the system to be able to implement it effective, versus try to create some cheap facsimile, is getting smaller and smaller because that tree has been such the theme du jour for recent hires in the last 5 years of the league.  And, this is purely my opinion, but it's not coming from an wholly uneducated place, a single season - or possibly even tw0 - as a positional assistant under a HC (who is doing the lion's share of his own playcalling) is not an adequate amount of time to really "pick up the system" to the point you can replicate it.

There also comes a point where the system brought in more exists as a theme than as a copy - the offshoots on the tree put their own spin on the system - for varying reasons - and eventually you end up with a big version of the children's game telephone where what you end up doesn't really look much like what you started with.  Just as an example, if someone were to hire Jason Vrable, current WR coach and passing game coordinator, off Green Bay's staff, they're really only getting a guy who has been on Matt LaFleur's staff in the past - in pertinence to the McVay/Shanny system - so all he really knows of the system is what he's learned from MLF and Adam Stenavich, who previously served as an OL assistant on one of Kyle's San Fran staffs with MLF.

I may be missing someone, but the only guys out there with taproot ties to the system that would require HC hires to pull away from their current staffs are Zac Robinson and Klint Kubiak (and good luck getting Kubiak off of Shanahan - those two families are practically inbred together at this point).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

A caveat to that though is that Morris' roots trace a bit further back to Gruden (and, IIRC, that was how he ended up in Washington to begin with when Jay Gruden was brought in).  The pool of viable McVay/Shanahan guys actually familiar enough with the principles of the system to be able to implement it effective, versus try to create some cheap facsimile, is getting smaller and smaller because that tree has been such the theme du jour for recent hires in the last 5 years of the league.  And, this is purely my opinion, but it's not coming from an wholly uneducated place, a single season - or possibly even tw0 - as a positional assistant under a HC (who is doing the lion's share of his own playcalling) is not an adequate amount of time to really "pick up the system" to the point you can replicate it.

There also comes a point where the system brought in more exists as a theme than as a copy - the offshoots on the tree put their own spin on the system - for varying reasons - and eventually you end up with a big version of the children's game telephone where what you end up doesn't really look much like what you started with.  Just as an example, if someone were to hire Jason Vrable, current WR coach and passing game coordinator, off Green Bay's staff, they're really only getting a guy who has been on Matt LaFleur's staff in the past - in pertinence to the McVay/Shanny system - so all he really knows of the system is what he's learned from MLF and Adam Stenavich, who previously served as an OL assistant on one of Kyle's San Fran staffs with MLF.

I may be missing someone, but the only guys out there with taproot ties to the system that would require HC hires to pull away from their current staffs are Zac Robinson and Klint Kubiak (and good luck getting Kubiak off of Shanahan - those two families are practically inbred together at this point).

Morris goes back to Shanahan, as he brought him in during the 2012 off-season and he also coached some under Jay Gruden, so he has his branches in both systems.  You bring up some great points, but ultimately, it’s on the head coach to vet those qualifications when they are interviewing someone for that coordinator position, as well as evaluate the system they are going to be implementing.  

48 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Morris goes back to Shanahan, as he brought him in during the 2012 off-season and he also coached some under Jay Gruden, so he has his branches in both systems.  You bring up some great points, but ultimately, it’s on the head coach to vet those qualifications when they are interviewing someone for that coordinator position, as well as evaluate the system they are going to be implementing.  

Yeah, I think the more relevant - to the discussion as a whole - is the pointing out that the direct McVay/Shanahan tree is pretty dry as far as straight coordinator or position coach hires right now - and I think the Mike McDaniel hire illustrates that pretty well.  Yes, McDaniel brought along (then-SF-TE-coach Jon Embree, who was seen, along with Bobby Slowik to a lesser degree; Embree had more seniority, as the next-guys up in the direct Shanny tree after the Mike LaFleur and McDaniel himself) and slapped that Asst. HC designation on him ensuring that he could only be hired away - barring permission given explicitly - if offered a HC position of his own.  Same with Wes Phillips being brought along and made OC by Kevin O'Connell in Minnesota - with reference to the direct McVay tree.

I think while there is a replenishing of offensive assistants in these two particular staffs, the greater draw might have to be from the Matt LaFleur, Zak Taylor, and Mike McDaniel staffs for coordinator options - and even then we've seen these guys not really able to cherrypick beyond 1 or 2 max guys from the staffs they were promoted from by offering promotions themselves.  And then you're not really getting as much of a direct link to that Washington '12 staff as folks might prefer.