Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

On 11/1/2023 at 8:45 AM, CasperX22 said:

Candy corn is underrated.  I don't see the issue haha.

I enjoy candy corn others don't, and that's fine, I just don't understand how some people get all haughty about it - "it's artifcially colored, artificially flavored corn syrup! I only eat the finest artisanllly crafted candies, like Tootsie Rolls and Skittles"

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

I would like to point out that any metric that has Brandon Staley near the top of the list that you may want to re-evaluate the validity of that metric.

There’s nothing really wrong with Staley’s in game decisions. His problem has always been his defensive coaching and the team’s performance on that side of the ball. It’s the biggest reason the team is currently 3-4.

3 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Rich Bisaccia and Brian Flores are probably my top 2.

I think Bisaccia is best as an interim HC. Flores is intriguing if it wasn’t for The Patriots Way and his bungling of Tua and the Dolphins offense.

On 11/1/2023 at 7:09 AM, Superduperman said:

Ben Johnson is obv a good coach and deserves his shot, but in my opinion he benefits from people assuming Campbell is a meathead. I think the Lions' improvement is more about both of them together than people realize.

Johnson has also been having moments of inexplicable play calls here and there this season. I don't think he's a slam-dunk success right away if he gets a HC job this year.

All you have to do is watch the Lions offensive scheme. It's brilliant. Not as complex as Shanahan/McVay schemes, but it's a brilliant scheme that is near bulletproof right now. Defenses aren't going to figure it out for a while. 

13 hours ago, Trojan said:

Bobby Slowik, OC Texans

Slowik is losing a lot of momentum with how flat the Texans run game is looking. Sure, he's still getting in conversations because of the work to slow the game down for CJ Stroud, but the inability to create a push in the run game is noticeable, and he's been unable to get Dameon Pierce going. 

Maybe in a year, but Slowik is probably due another season in Houston. 

(because that's what I want).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MagicMT said:

Fair, Waldron isn't calling good games but I've watched all Seahawks games this year and my impression is that Geno is holding the offense back quite a bit. Indecisive, forcing throws and generally not careful of the football (he could have 10 picks easily). 
He has regressed quite a bit since last year. Not awful by any means, but not balling either (the way I see it).
I don't feel like Waldron is a strong candidate to be HC honestly, but you never know  

From everything I've seen and the All-22 I've watched through all the Seahawks analysts, I don't think he's nearly as bad as you're leading here, but he's definitely hot and cold. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Slowik is losing a lot of momentum with how flat the Texans run game is looking. Sure, he's still getting in conversations because of the work to slow the game down for CJ Stroud, but the inability to create a push in the run game is noticeable, and he's been unable to get Dameon Pierce going. 

I wrote that last night and just realized when you quoted it I didn't explain my late night little marks lol. The + after is how "good" of a hire I'd expect them to be so +++++ is excellent, ++ is passable, the ones with - are likely to get an interview somewhere and -- is long shot to get an interview but maybe gets a job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I mentioned Slowik in late Sept.

"Peters is the GM hire. Could be a really high risk/high reward group.   

GM - Adam Peters 

HC - Slowik 

DC - Bowles gets to be overpaid as the DC if he is fired or Dennis Allen if he is. For first time DC you can go Kris Kocurek 

OC - Brian Griese or Wes Welker  

Outside of the vet DC options all have worked with Peters AND Slowik. Griese has worked with Purdy for the last two years, Welker worked with Shanahan and is now working with McDaniels in MIA, and also spent years under the other McDaniels as a player."

Granted Bowles or whoever is a defensive HC that gets fired (minus Staley) would be one of the highest paid DCs in the league, but I wouldkt hate it.

Still prefer Johnson or Harbaugh as my 1A and 1B options.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

No. Just...no.

I wouldn't want him either, but he'll likely get interviews because the offensive line he coaches is the engine of the most hired scheme and guys like Tom Cable act as a model that OL coach to HC pathway. He's calm and responsive in good and bad situations and that can be a good attribute if you're a rebuilding team. Having someone like Stenavich coach your team a couple years and improve offensive line before replacing him with someone else from the Shanahan/McVay tree with a jumpstart on your OL being ready to transition schemes.

I think it makes sense for a Raiders-y team if you want to go cheap and rescheme from JMD to Shannahan/McVay style and are waiting for someone like Slowik/LaFleur/whatever to cook a little bit. Chance he works too, but he seems like a fine choice as a transistional thing. Just stay calm, right the ship and teach foundations of the new scheme.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Y’all’s OL getting banged up hasn’t helped. 

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

I wouldn't want him either, but he'll likely get interviews because the offensive line he coaches is the engine of the most hired scheme and guys like Tom Cable act as a model that OL coach to HC pathway. He's calm and responsive in good and bad situations and that can be a good attribute if you're a rebuilding team. Having someone like Stenavich coach your team a couple years and improve offensive line before replacing him with someone else from the Shanahan/McVay tree with a jumpstart on your OL being ready to transition schemes.

I think it makes sense for a Raiders-y team if you want to go cheap and rescheme from JMD to Shannahan/McVay style and are waiting for someone like Slowik/LaFleur/whatever to cook a little bit. Chance he works too, but he seems like a fine choice as a transistional thing. Just stay calm, right the ship and teach foundations of the new scheme.

He's fine as an OL coach. He's in over his head as anything more. Most Packer fans want him removed from the OC role so he can just go back to focusing on the OL as the OL has flat out regressed since his promotion. He's a position coach, through and through.

• Like 1