Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

this is why all the talk about vrabel having a job the day after he was fired always seemed nuts to me. i'm sure someone will give him a shot next year if he doesn't get one this year, and i wouldn't be surprised if he found success. but mayyyyybe going 6-18 in your last 24 games while being embroiled in front office power struggles in two consecutive years is a bit of a red flag for folks looking to hire you.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Think it is pretty clear Johnson is going to Washington.

He certainly seems like the logical choice there. I just remember reading that Slowik may have a shot through his previous link to the new GM Peters, but Johnson definitely feels like the best hire they can make right now.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

He certainly seems like the logical choice there. I just remember reading that Slowik may have a shot through his previous link to the new GM Peters, but Johnson definitely feels like the best hire they can make right now.

Slowik would be great as well, but if that is the direction they were going he would likely be hired. My guess is if they haven't hired someone by Saturday it is Johnson.

17 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is why all the talk about vrabel having a job the day after he was fired always seemed nuts to me. i'm sure someone will give him a shot next year if he doesn't get one this year, and i wouldn't be surprised if he found success. but mayyyyybe going 6-18 in your last 24 games while being embroiled in front office power struggles in two consecutive years is a bit of a red flag for folks looking to hire you.

This also confirms even more that we made the right decision to not try to trade him. The market isn’t as robust as thought, so it would’ve been an absolute mess if we waited it out to trade him away.

19 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

I'm not defending Jon Robinsons' tenure at all but so many whiffs of his scream "coaches making the decision." Too many obvious red flags, too many players in an identical "big/strong/tough/ignore all other factors" mold. Its hard for me to believe that the GM was that uniquely bad. I also don't think ownership generally fires popular/highly thought of coaches for no reason. Don't get me wrong, it very may well have been a rash/poor decision but the lack of interest thus far isn't stunning to me (and the lack of trading him).

So Ben Johnson and Washington have likely verbally agreed and waiting for the Lions season to be over. Does that mean Seattle is the last team with an open spot?

I think it has to be Slowik or Dan Quinn. It’ll probably be Quinn, but they should hire Slowik IMO. 

Good hire IMO.  It's not like they have a blue chip young QB to pair any incoming HC with, so I don't think they necessarily needed to hire an offensive-minded HC.

They should basically follow the Detroit model given their weapons on offense.  He'll be their Dan Campbell and should do well as long as they bring in good coordinators and a vet QB like Cousins (similar to what Detroit did with Goff).  

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I just need teams to become impatient and hire Ben Johnson and Slowik and Vrabel/Bill B and then let Mike Mac return to Baltimore for another year.

What's your opinion on Anthony Weaver?

My dream scenario for the Commanders is:

• HC - Ben Johnson 
  • DC - Anthony Weaver
  • OC - Hank Fraley 

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What's your opinion on Anthony Weaver?

My dream scenario for the Commanders is:

• HC - Ben Johnson 
  • DC - Anthony Weaver
  • OC - Hank Fraley 

I think he's certainly a DC in the making. Wouldn't be surprised to see us lose him this year for a coordinator job. He's done a really good job with our DL the last few years.

• Like 1

Assuming Ben Johnson is locked into the WAS job, if Seattle is also waiting until next week I'm guessing it's because they want to interview Mike MacDonald (and maybe Aaron Glenn) before making a decision. Doesn't necessarily mean he's the favorite but would make sense at this stage to have a conversation even if they're leaning towards Quinn, Vrabel, or Slowik since there's no real competition for them anymore. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli