• Steve Smith
    • Antonio Brown
    • Tory Holt
    • Isaac Bruce
    • Michael Irvin
    • Cris Carter

22 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Irvin, too.

I had this one as Fitz, Cris, Irvin, Harrison.

Cris was catching 100 balls a year in an era where only Sterling Sharpe was doing it.  And Cris just kept doing it despite not being fast.  He just lined up and got open whenever he wanted.

What?  Jerry Rice, Herman Moore.  A few guys were catching a 100 balls a year in the 90's, not just Carter and Sharpe.  

On 11/15/2023 at 1:48 PM, vegas492 said:

Irvin, too.

I had this one as Fitz, Cris, Irvin, Harrison.

Cris was catching 100 balls a year in an era where only Sterling Sharpe was doing it.  And Cris just kept doing it despite not being fast.  He just lined up and got open whenever he wanted.

One player I was t old enough to understand how good he was is Cris Carter. I've seen highlights, stats, the story and vaguely remember him playing in the 90s when I was a kid--but I have no idea how good he actually was.

What a current comp for him?

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

One player I was t old enough to understand how good he was is Cris Carter. I've seen highlights, stats, the story and vaguely remember him playing in the 90s when I was a kid--but I have no idea how good he actually was.

I don't know if there is anyone right now that would be a great 1 for 1 comp for Carter.  He had elite hands and body control/awareness, was a lot bigger than people think, but was more of a technician than players typically are at his size.  Probably the best ever at pulling in balls along the sideline with no room to work that other guys just couldn't get to. He made those Mike Williams/George Pickens type downfield plays, but was more refined in the short/intermediate game than either of those guys. 

His hands always seemed huge the way he could extend out and snare the ball back into his body.  He was making a lot of one handed catches that other guys just weren't at that time without the gloves the modern guys are doing it with.  Similar frame to Pickens, but I would say Pickens is more physical than CC was, but CC was a way more complete receiver.  Maybe like a DeAndre Hopkins, if I had to pick one guy.  If you meshed Keenan Allen and George Pickens together, you'd get a similar skillset to Carter, imo.  He was a fun player to watch work.  

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Boy.  He wasn't a large prototypical WR.  He wasn't small, he was kindda lanky.  But the guy caught everything, ran great routes and was as competitive as anyone who has played the game.  I don't feel like he had the great top end speed.  He beat you with routes, knowledge of the defense and amazing hands.

So who would that be now?  I'd say Davante Adams, without the high end quickness.  

But really, you are looking for a crafty vet who wins, all the time, despite not having a truly elite trait, while all the traits are still quite good.  Except for hands.  Those were elite.  And that football IQ.

At least that is how I remember him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t watch the 90’s guys listed, so of the guys I’ve seen:

Easily Antonio Brown. Best routes I’ve seen, great ball skills+hands, explosive, great field awareness, clutch, the positives go on. He’s about on par with Calvin Johnson for me (with only Moss and Owens ahead).

Obligatory (but necessary) he’s a POS disclaimer.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:36 PM, AkronsWitness said:

The Odell Beckham catch, but 3 times a game in different variants.

On 12/4/2023 at 2:49 AM, Kiwibrown said:

AB and holt had the highest peak. 

If Holt had another 1-2 years of peak plau or 10 more tds we talk about him different, dude was phenomenal.

Holt's peak gets overlooked, imo.  I think that most people think of GSOT Holt, when they hear his name, but those year with Marc Bulger and an aging Marshall Faulk, he was as good as anybody in the league.   The dude was an annual check mark for 1,300 yards.  If he had aged a little better into his 30's, he'd already be in.  

• Like 1

I've lived in Arizona since 2004.  Between living here and the Cardinals being in the same division as the Niners, I've watched a lot of Larry Fitzgerald.  He was such a Niners killer, but yet, I couldn't hate him.  Absolute class act.  As soon as he's tackled, he pops up, looks for the ref to throw the ball to, and heads back to the huddle.  Doesn't get into it with the DBs.  Complete professional at all times.  Amazing athlete.  Dude has more tackles than dropped passes, for crying out loud.  That man deserved a ring.  Easily my favorite non-Niners player.  

• Like 3

On 12/8/2023 at 5:42 PM, Ataal said:

I've lived in Arizona since 2004.  Between living here and the Cardinals being in the same division as the Niners, I've watched a lot of Larry Fitzgerald.  He was such a Niners killer, but yet, I couldn't hate him.  Absolute class act.  As soon as he's tackled, he pops up, looks for the ref to throw the ball to, and heads back to the huddle.  Doesn't get into it with the DBs.  Complete professional at all times.  Amazing athlete.  Dude has more tackles than dropped passes, for crying out loud.  That man deserved a ring.  Easily my favorite non-Niners player.  

This is the same way I've always felt about Fitz, too.  I grew up a WVU fan, so I was supposed to hate Fitz while he was at Pitt, but never could.  Same when he was in Arizona.  He was just a really likable player.  

• Like 1