General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

3 hours ago, dawgdish said:

This would be ideal, that way we don't have to move too far down, still have a shot at top shelf talent, and add another high round pick as compensation either this or next year.

That is how trades are made in the top 10, you trade back, but remain still in the top 10 and pick up an extra 3rd who is also a top 10 pick in the 3rd round. This is just smart football and is especially useful in a draft where there is little separation among the position players, so in essence, you are getting a prospect who is ranked right there with the guy who you would have taken at #4 anyways.

20 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I just dont know how you can take Barkley at #1. He is a great prospect but hes not that great of a prospect. Adrian Peterson was the best RB prospect in the last 20 years and he was projected to go in the 3-4 overall range before slipping to #7 because of his injury. I dont even know if Barkley is a better prospect than Zeke who was touted as the #3 pick because of his ability to do everything from pass catching, blocking, and his vision as a power/speed combo runner. Barkley doesnt have the same vision or blocking ability that Zeke had despite being a better receiver. To me, Barkley is a bigger version of Devonte Freeman in terms of his athletic ability and play-style.

I think they could easily take a development QB #1 (Darnold) and grab whoever is there at #4 between Barkley/Chubb/Fitzpatrick. Either one of those 3 would be fantastic.

55 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I just dont know how you can take Barkley at #1. He is a great prospect but hes not that great of a prospect. Adrian Peterson was the best RB prospect in the last 20 years and he was projected to go in the 3-4 overall range before slipping to #7 because of his injury. I dont even know if Barkley is a better prospect than Zeke who was touted as the #3 pick because of his ability to do everything from pass catching, blocking, and his vision as a power/speed combo runner. Barkley doesnt have the same vision or blocking ability that Zeke had despite being a better receiver. To me, Barkley is a bigger version of Devonte Freeman in terms of his athletic ability and play-style.

I think they could easily take a development QB #1 (Darnold) and grab whoever is there at #4 between Barkley/Chubb/Fitzpatrick. Either one of those 3 would be fantastic.

He's inconsistent, it's ridiculous. I really don't get peoples fascination with over-drafting RBs. Fournette gets brought up as a positive representation of this. A guy who had 3 good games all season. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry.

Barkley could be the best RB of all time and he still wouldn't be worth taking a gamble on the franchise QB of your choice.

7 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

He's inconsistent, it's ridiculous. I really don't get peoples fascination with over-drafting RBs. Fournette gets brought up as a positive representation of this. A guy who had 3 good games all season. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry.

Barkley could be the best RB of all time and he still wouldn't be worth taking a gamble on the franchise QB of your choice.

I agree. I think he will be really good I just think that he is being slightly overrated. That doesnt mean I dont him at 4 but to even consider it #1 is lunacy 

2 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Really want Darnold and Derwin James after a trade down 

That'd be fine with me assuming Barkley is gone by #4. This is my preferred option as well if we aren't able to land the Darnold/Barkley combo.

Actually my ideal scenario is:

#1--Sam Darnold QB

#4--Saquon Barkley RB

#13-Derwin James FS

***(Trade #33/#35/5th/2019 3rd to the pick-depleted Redskins for #13)***

2nd-Brian O'Neill OT

4th-Skai Moore WLB

5th-Antonio Callaway WR

6th-Dimitri Flowers FB

7th-Matthew Thomas MLB

FA--Trumaine Johnson CB

FA--Terrelle Pryor WR

FA--Daquon Jones DT

FA--Dee Ford DE

FA--Christian Jones MLB

2 hours ago, Don Roshi said:

A few things:

1. Without Fournette, the Jaguars offense would have been toast. They would have won 5-7 games and Bortles would have been atrociously bad. Fournette forced teams to play 8 in the box nearly every play and it allowed for some supremely easy completions off of play action. Marcedes Lewis wasn't covered by anyone this season because safeties and linebackers were flying towards Fournette to stop him. The Jaguars were pretty bad on 3rd and long and it's because the threat of Fournette was gone. He completely changed the fortunes of that team. Sure their defense deserves all the credit in the world, but they would have basically been a top 5 defense with a bottom 5 offense without Fournette. Fournette was #1 or #2 in the NFL in terms of the percentage of times he faced an 8 man box. If we can get 8 in the box by drafting Barkley, the chances of our QB tearing it up increase significantly. YPC is not a sure-fire way to delineate success/failure.

2. Barkley isn't inconsistent. His offensive line is terrible and even in games where he was being destroyed behind the LOS, he managed to hurt teams out of the backfield or in the return game. You're never going to completely neutralize Barkley. He's going to draw an unreal amount of attention and force defenses to put every asset available into slowing him down.

3. I'm down with Barkley at #1 as long as we're saying that our QB #1 is Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield. One of those two is 100% going to be there for the taking...likely both. Darnold and Rosen are going to be most team's #1 and #2 QB's. If we feel differently, taking Barkley at #1 makes an incredible amount of sense because we would still be getting our top rated QB a few picks later.

----With all this being said, I'm taking Darnold at #1 and praying Saquon falls to #4, which I have a feeling he would. If we take Rosen at 1, the Giants would take Barkley. If we take Darnold at 1, Rosen will likely go to the NYG and Chubb to the Colts. Boom....we get Barkley.

We can't really screw this up unless we pick the wrong QB. It's highly unlikely statistically that none of the top 4 QB's in this class become elite. We need to guess right on the guy at #1 and then wait and see about Saquon falling to 4. Even if we pick Saquon, I'm happy with the "leftover QB" at #4 (Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Allen). I don't think we can screw this up too badly unless we have a rager for Bradley Chubb or Minkah Fitzpatrick. Those are the only two DO NOT DRAFT IN THE TOP 5 guys I have right now---and I don't even think they're busts...just that they're going to be good not great.

Honestly, now that we have Taylor, I am confident that he can start a few years competently for us.  My #1 QB is probably Allen, to let him sit, and learn, and be coached up.  Darnold worries me for a few reasons.  One his admitted loss of confidence last season.  If that can happen in college, how will he handle the pressure of the NFL and defenses that are so much faster.  Two, his wonky throwing motion that he flat out said he was not going to work on.  Three, he has an average arm.

Honestly, I want Barkey at one, then either Allen or Mayfield at 4, or shock the world and take another stud positional player at 4 and look for Randolph or someone like that later to sit and learn for a few years.  Maybe even trade down from 4 with someone like the Bills, load up on other assets, and get Randolph later and some more good players in round 1 or round 2.  I absolutely love this draft.

In short, this could be the year that we don't just go from no wins to 2 or 3 wins, we could go from no wins to legit contenders depending on if we hit a home run in both FA and the draft.  I think we are off to a very good start.

I truly don’t believe a team like the giants who are almost never at the top of the draft with an old and declining manning are going to pass on a QB. The colts could very well be the home for Barkley but even they have issues at QB with Luck and probably with prefer to trade down with the broncos or Jets. I have a feeling Barkley’s going to be there at 4. It all depends on the coltsnthough 

7 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

I truly don’t believe a team like the giants who are almost never at the top of the draft with an old and declining manning are going to pass on a QB. The colts could very well be the home for Barkley but even they have issues at QB with Luck and probably with prefer to trade down with the broncos or Jets. I have a feeling Barkley’s going to be there at 4. It all depends on the coltsnthough 

That's what I'm thinking, too. Of course, ownership would probably have to sign off on it, but sitting there at 2, why not take the chance you have now to solidify that position for another 10+ years? They could put someone like Allen, who realistically needs to sit a year or two, in the perfect position behind Eli.

Archived