Week 11 GDT: Raiders (5-5) @ Dolphins (6-3) - Who's hungry for sashimi?

RaidersAreOne

Who takes home the W?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes home the W?

• Raaaaaaaaaiiiiiiddddddeeeeerrrrrsssssss
    • Ray Finkle's Team
    • I just hope everyone has fun

Just now, Raiderlife24 said:

Sticking with a qb for 4 more years that wins 7 games a year probably would have better you right

lol where did i say that? 
ive clearly stated this year and then move on ... it wouldve cost us an extra 5 mil. 

but you are now in the make up things to make your point of who cares about wasting a year not look silly, so we can call it there. 

Enjoy the rest of the day!

11 minutes ago, Geezy said:

That 40 million  was better spent on Jimmy and chandler jones lol 

The decision to spend on Chandler was made the previous offseason so not sure why you think that is relevant. Instead, I’d focus on the freed up capital allowing us to sign Spillane, Epps, and Van Wroten which have objectively been solid acquisitions.

Jimmy was a terrible signing as a bridge QB. I would have much rather signed Brissett or Stidham if we were looking for a caretaker QB that was familiar with the system. They would have played better and been cheaper to acquire. 

Either way, we were going nowhere long term with Carr so moving on was the right thing to do. I wish we could have salvaged some draft capital in a trade but Carr’s value was what it was league wide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

To further elaborate on this, if we had Carr again this year, he probably once again shows “just enough” to prevent a trade up. We had to break the cycle once and for all. 

Just enough would have us at 7-3 lol 

1 minute ago, jpaulthe1st said:

The decision to spend on Chandler was made the previous offseason so not sure why you think that is relevant. Instead, I’d focus on the freed up capital allowing us to sign Spillane, Epps, and Van Wroten which have objectively been solid acquisitions.

Jimmy was a terrible signing as a bridge QB. I would have much rather signed Brissett or Stidham if we were looking for a caretaker QB that was familiar with the system. They would have played better and been cheaper to acquire. 

Either way, we were going nowhere long term with Carr so moving on was the right thing to do. I wish we could have salvaged some draft capital in a trade but Carr’s value was what it was league wide. 

It’s relevant because his money is still counting towards the cap. 

9 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

if Harbaugh wants to come coach here and we end up going with him I'm completely fine with that. But if this team goes 9–8 or 8–9, and it's not Harbaugh as of now this guy this guy has them going in the right direction

Thats a bit premature for me. 

Look, every win obviously counts for something. I'd certainly factor it in to my search. 

But let's also be real- beating the Giants and Jets, given the state they're in, is 2 very much "gimme" wins. Props to him and not ****ting the bed like his predecessor would have probably done, but going 8-9 puts AP at 5-4, with 2 of those wins coming against horrendous teams. That's just not good enough to make me a believer that he's more than a good rah rah hype guy with a big talk.

Again, I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good candidate to interview because of that, simply that 5-4 with 2 wins coming against Tommy DeVito and Zach Wilson isn't enough to make him the only candidate. 

Beyond that, you know what AP isn't going to do? Develop a QB. Or revitalize a QBs career. Period. Hence, I'm not just gifting him the job outright as that is our #1 priority. 

Is AP tied at the hip to Bo? Bo is in the same boat for me as AP- gotta earn his spot too. And while a limited sample size his track record with QBs isn't great either. I'll go lightly on him as he had Tannehill and Cutler to work with in Miami, but both looked worse under him than other times in their career, and Carr took some steps backwards last year, Jimmy this year, and AOC has been wildly inconsistent thus far. 

Does AP as HC automatically mean Bo as OC? Bo hasn't done anything to develop a QB,  but he's led to some regression from QBs who performed better before and after him and his playcalling is vanilla and sometimes awkwardly nonsensical. Improvement can indeed be made, but I'm sure as heck not just gifting him with the job. 

That's why you interview candidates instead of just outright promoting from within unless they show something really really special and the rest of the staff would essentially remain unchanged. 

What's AP's long term plan? Who does he envision running the side of the ball he knows the least about? Is he willing to fire any of the guys currently on the staff? If not, why not? Does he see anything in particular from them, or is it sentimentality? 

You mentioned Dan Campbell. I love the guy. He also damn near lost his job sticking to Anthony Lynn, and, without Ben Johnson totally revamping Detroit's offense, Dan Campbell wouldn't be Detroiit's HC today. Is Bo Hardegree our very own Ben Johnson? I don't think so. If anything, Dan Campbell is a cautionary tale for the rah rah guys who get caught up too much in their own rah rah. Campbell didn't want to fire Lynn, his job depended on it. And had things not worked out so well with Ben Johnson, Campbell would have still lost his job. 

That's why I'm not.giving him the job without making him compete for it. He can get some.extra credit for a job well enough done as interim. But he shouldn't get to skip the interview because of it. There's too many other questions that arise. 

OC and the development of our QBOTF being number 1. But what about the assistant coaches? They remaining the same? If not, who comes on board?

What about DC? Graham is doing pretty well for now. I've seen it from him before, but whatever. Keep him then. But how tied to AP is he? How tied to Graham is AP? What about Rob Ryan? What about Chris Ash? Everyone staying? If no, who does he get to come in? 

My biggest (and really only) concern is AP's coaching ties, particularly on the side of the ball that seems to need the most work. He's not just an interim HC, he's practically a newbie in terms of NFL coaching circles and doesn't have a particularly robust list of names to call upon. Again, not anything that keeps him from being interviewed, and nothing that keeps him from getting some brownie points with his interview. But questions that absolutely have to be brought up and explored all the same. 

1 minute ago, jpaulthe1st said:

because he had a no trade clause? lol. 

to purposely regress at qb while still trying to compete is just extremely weird, and truthfully something youd basically only see the raiders do lol

Just now, Geezy said:

Not saying Carr is the guy, but with a top 12ish QB this team is playoff bound. Long term might benefit in going younger but we are wasting our best players primes. 

as the anti carr guys say, who cares about wasting years! weve been bad last 20 years, whats another couple bad years!