Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

19 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

From my vantage point at the game, the 2nd sneak was super obvious. It was the exact same play. It was a terrible call. Even moreso when you consider that 181 pound Brandon Powell was doing the pushing. But it was only one in a series of head scratching plays. Chandler was carving the Bengals up all day. The decision to go away from him, especially in that situation, was baffling. 

The Vikings snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. 

I wonder if O'Connell, being a QB himself, is somewhat biased against the running game?  I look at how McVay ans Shanahan use the running game so creatively, involving receivers and TEs with the ball in their hands.  Comparatively, our running attack has a pretty vanilla design. Maybe it's totally dependent on talent.  But, wouldn't you think a creative attack would maximize whatever talent there is among the backs?  But even when the running game is working, like against the Bengals, O'Connell moves away from the ground game.  I would like to see Mullens have half the attempts against Detroit. 

Just a bit of insider information.

I used to broil burgers at BK, and now I love seeing who manages the grill. A special needs guy named Eddie runs the patties through nowadays, I needed to make his acquaintance. We discuss Vikings, and I keep telling him he should try out for the team, but he doesn't not want the position. 

His information says, "Dobbs stinks like a diaper...... He stinks like a dirty diaper."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

The Lions have a very good run defense. Mullens had 33 attempts against the Bengals last week, you really want him to throw the ball 17 times on Sunday?

I mean I feel like that’s the direction the team needs to go. If they want to lean on a strong defense to keep scores low, they can’t have a turnover prone QB throwing the ball frequently. I don’t know what the right number is and obviously the Vikes need to be able run the ball effectively to be able to pass less, maybe they found a new spark in Chandler. 

6 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

The Lions have a very good run defense. Mullens had 33 attempts against the Bengals last week, you really want him to throw the ball 17 times on Sunday?

I want him to only HAVE to throw the ball 17 times.  I would like to see Chandler perform like James Cook did for Buffalo against Dallas.  I think a Viking victory means a successful run attack and limiting potential turnovers from the QB position. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cconocool said:

Just a bit of insider information.

I used to broil burgers at BK, and now I love seeing who manages the grill. A special needs guy named Eddie runs the patties through nowadays, I needed to make his acquaintance. We discuss Vikings, and I keep telling him he should try out for the team, but he doesn't not want the position. 

His information says, "Dobbs stinks like a diaper...... He stinks like a dirty diaper."

have i entered some alternate universe and didn't notice...?

13 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

I want him to only HAVE to throw the ball 17 times.  I would like to see Chandler perform like James Cook did for Buffalo against Dallas.  I think a Viking victory means a successful run attack and limiting potential turnovers from the QB position. 

This is ideal even without a turnover prone QB.

Jaren Hall is now healthy and ready. The question, given the various injuries the Vikings have suffered (tight end T.J. Hockenson, receiver Jordan Addison), is whether Hall has enough help around him to overcome the natural mistakes he’ll make as a first-year player.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-will-take-a-long-look-at-whether-to-bench-nick-mullens-play-jaren-hall

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

I agree that the Cousins decision should come down to him and the alternative options and not based on the play of the backups.  The current 3 are not options next year

Agreed that ultimately it's going to come down to going either with a rookie or Cousins.  My personal preference is to sign Cousins (as long as it's a reasonable deal) and draft a rookie who won't start in year 1 outside of another injury to Kirk.  With the team right now being in prime position to draft top 15 (of course dependent on how they finish these last 2 weeks), this is where they have to strike.  I don't think they can wait until 2025 when it's likely that they will be down in the 20s again (at least I believe they will be).

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agreed that ultimately it's going to come down to going either with a rookie or Cousins.  My personal preference is to sign Cousins (as long as it's a reasonable deal) and draft a rookie who won't start in year 1 outside of another injury to Kirk.  With the team right now being in prime position to draft top 15 (of course dependent on how they finish these last 2 weeks), this is where they have to strike.  I don't think they can wait until 2025 when it's likely that they will be down in the 20s again (at least I believe they will be).

I'm all in on drafting a qb this year although I don't want to draft one just to draft one.  Cousins coming back wouldn't force them to draft what ever QB that falls to them and would allow a drafted QB to sit for a year. Hopefully he doesn't demand a top of the market deal

• Like 2