Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

regardless of whether Dobbs is kept and elevated, we still need to draft an eventual heir to the throne, i think everyone agrees to that.

do we draft a mobile, Dobbs-like youngster and start grooming the offense to have that kind of mobility and opportunity?

i think one thing having Dobbs has shown us, is to draft a SMART guy who can learn quickly. 

Just now, vike daddy said:

regardless of whether Dobbs is kept and elevated, we still need to draft an eventual heir to the throne, i think everyone agrees to that.

do we draft a mobile, Dobbs-like youngster and start grooming the offense to have that kind of mobility and opportunity?

i think one thing having Dobbs has shown us, is to draft a SMART guy who can learn quickly. 

I believe that KOC will want a guy who is certainly more mobile than Kirk, but I think we also agree that he can make it work with pretty much anyone...he's made it work with Kirk, Dobbs, Stafford, Goff...even Keenum in Washington (the record wasn't great, but at least rating-wise, it was Keenum's 2nd best in his career behind 2017).

The Keenum year the debate was whether the team should keep him, Teddy, or Sam. Keenum was the only one of those three with two good knees, but the answer was ultimately none of the above.  Maybe the answer next year will be none of the above as well.  Thankfully the team doesn't need to make a decision anytime too soon. I am going to enjoy this season before picking a horse for next year.

• Like 1

The last two games has shown, at least to me, that a mobile QB makes this offense even more dynamic.  KAM and KOC will likely draft someone who is more Dobbs like than Kirk like.

Before Dobbs, I was 100% sold on extending Kirk for another 2 years.  I am now 40% certain that Kirk leaving in FA is the best thing for Kirk and the team.  I am still 60% team Cousins. 

• Like 1

If the Vikings are confident that Kirk's injury is 100% healed and won't adversely impact him going forward, then my preference is that they re-sign him to a 2 year deal IF the numbers work out for the team. I would still want them to draft his successor this year - even if that means moving some assets to do so. I'd want Kirk to know that the team is his for the next two seasons, but that they are planning for the future. 

If the money doesn't work for the team, then I'd want them to bring Dobbs back on a low-end contract that rewards him if he balls out, but protects the team if his horsehoe gets pooped out... In this scenario, they still draft a successor. 

My least preferred option is drafting a QB and throwing him to the wolves in year one. I think good QBs can become even better with that year or two of preparation without pressure. 

Dobbs has been fun for two weeks. However, I don't think that is indicative of the type of QB he might be. It's just been a result of good preparation and opposing teams not having any ability to adequately prepare for him. If he maintains this throughout the remainder of the season, then maybe that narrative changes. Right now, I think he's more likely Case Keenum than Kurt Warner.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If the money doesn't work for the team, then I'd want them to bring Dobbs back on a low-end contract that rewards him if he balls out, but protects the team if his horseshoe gets pooped out... 

ewwwww... hopefully that doesn't happen on the field, but i guess by definition it would have to.

unsettling imagery there, son...

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I think good QBs can become even better with that year or two of preparation without pressure. 

Preparation H?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'm curious to see how this offense looks once teams have more tape on Dobbs in it.  The saints made some that really slowed the offense down along with being more conservative

The thing is, Dobbs is still mostly playing within the structure of the offense... He's not hanging in the pocket as long, but he's going through reads, and the concepts are typical Vikings concepts. If teams decide to start spying Dobbs with Jefferson and Addison and Hockenson out there... it could get ugly for opposing defenses. Like the sack that Dobbs took last game was a 3rd and long, the Saints brought a 0 blitz, and the Vikings still didn't have a hot route - everything was going to the sticks or deeper. Dobbs' footwork in the pocket has been really really impressive.

• Like 2

My preference is Kirk for 1-2 years, and to draft a QB in the first round this year. So many to choose from......I have preferences, but I'm not scout and haven't watched that many games, but man, Penix throws it right on target over and over and Nix can't miss either (sure, sure, I live in OR and that's who I see), but that LSU QB is very intriguing also. Very. 

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

My preference is Kirk for 1-2 years, and to draft a QB in the first round this year. So many to choose from......I have preferences, but I'm not scout and haven't watched that many games, but man, Penix throws it right on target over and over and Nix can't miss either (sure, sure, I live in OR and that's who I see), but that LSU QB is very intriguing also. Very. 

This is where I’m leaning. Bring back Cousins if he’s reasonably affordable and making progress on rehab. If Flores returns, I wouldn’t be too concerned with the defense and go all in with picks to get a QB. If we lose Flores too, I’d expect defense to be addressed early and often and essentially punting on a QB in the draft next year.

Edited by vikingsrule

11 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

1. QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

BIG BOARD RANK: 1

Williams has been one of college football's top playmakers for three years. He is always a threat to advance the football with his arms and legs. The NFL covets quarterbacks who can create on their own. No one does that better than Caleb Williams.

2. QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

BIG BOARD RANK: 3

Maye possesses ideal NFL arm talent. He can hit just about any throw asked of him at the pro level with velocity and ball placement. He still puts the ball in harm's way with more turnovers than you'd like, but the magnitude of the good he can do as a passer far outweighs the bad.

3. QB BO NIX, OREGON

BIG BOARD RANK: 20

The underwhelming Bo Nix we knew from Auburn seems long gone. Nowadays, Nix is seen as a good dual-threat athlete with a legit NFL arm. Most importantly, he's playing much better under pressure, even if he isn't pressured as often.

4. QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON

BIG BOARD RANK: 23

Penix is a bit of a college football journeyman but is lighting up the scoreboard in 2023. His combination of experience and high-end arm talent is propelling him. He has a bit of an unorthodox throwing style — from his lower body mechanics to his throwing motion — but can sling it.

5. QB RILEY LEONARD, DUKE

BIG BOARD RANK: 32

Leonard is a very intriguing quarterback prospect because of his two best attributes — his athleticism and toughness as a runner, and his natural touch on passes all over the field. His passing profile isn't as consistent as some of the top guys in the class, but his five best throws can go toe-to-toe with almost anyone.

6. QB J.J. MCCARTHY, MICHIGAN

BIG BOARD RANK: 35

McCarthy has the arm to succeed at the NFL level. He can hit the “Sunday throws” with both distance and velocity and is improving his touch in 2023. He has a slender build but will be a passer the league covets.

7. QB SHEDEUR SANDERS, COLORADO

BIG BOARD RANK: 42

Sanders made the move from Jackson State to Colorado and only looks better for it. He's one of the best passers in college football when it comes to accuracy, anticipation and playing under pressure. His arm strength isn't top-tier, but it seems strong enough for him to start in the pros.

8. QB MICHAEL PRATT, TULANE

BIG BOARD RANK: 45

Pratt is more of the traditional pocket passer, but he has starting tools for offenses that don't ask the quarterback to run much. Before his injury (knee) this season, he looked like a future top-50 pick. But after the injury, his ball placement and touch have declined. The back half of this season will be big for him.

9. QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU

BIG BOARD RANK: 48

Daniels is a good dual-threat quarterback who has a ton of yards from scrimmage. Last year, he focused on taking care of the ball and had one of the lowest turnover-worthy play rates in the nation. This year, he's focused on playing better under pressure while pushing the ball downfield more often — and he's done both at career-high levels. His growth in all areas is encouraging and shows that he could be a QB to invest in.

10. QB QUINN EWERS, TEXAS

BIG BOARD RANK: 70

Ewers will be a hot name in this quarterback class due to his arm talent, as he has the tools to make all sorts of NFL throws. He has an unorthodox but quick release where the ball can fire off his wrist to the target. However, his deep ball accuracy and general ball placement skills need more consistency if he is to be a reliable NFL starter.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-position-rankings-quarterbacks

Edited by vike daddy

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

After seeing what Dobbs can do in this offense, Jayden Daniels really piques my interest.