Week 13: Chiefs @ Packers Lead up - Big Big SNF Game Vs Mahomes and MaAuto

LLcheesehead12

17 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Biggest win of the last two years for us and all the talking heads wanna bring up is a missed PI on a play where Mahomes underthrew MVS by 4 yards. Gotta have every excuse for the golden boy.

So Love really is a lot like Mahomes!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Dillon also gets some major props.  The KC game was the first time all season where I watched Dillon and thought, "He's probably worth signing to an extension"

To me he's been stacking a couple successes here. 

Think it's a no brainer to bring him back with a couple new guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craig said:

Did Rhyan get his first-half series?  If so, I assume he did fine then, given that the offense clicked first half.  I did see when he came in second half.  I think on his 2nd play, he gave Jones what seemed to be a fairly decent block, but Jones was unmoved and just ran right past Rhyan to chase Love.  Love got a nice run to the left and ended up getting a first-down on the play anyway, so it ended up being productive.  But at least on that play, Rhyan didn't look good.  Obviously Jones makes a lot of guys look not good; on the previous series he'd run through/around Runyan just as easily.  

Rhyan didn't play in the first half. In fairness though, GB only had two real drives and a limp third so there wasn't much chance to put him out there.

2 hours ago, craig said:

Long pop-up floater pass that Doubs caught on his back in front of the 3rd TD, as ball was floating I was almost surprised that one of the three defenders didn't see it and hop over to intercept, kinda lucky on Love's part.  

Most of the football world is talking about the officiating but this was the craziest play of the game. How that ball got through to Doubs was amazing. 

• Like 3

I still don't know why TV networks that do football don't just rope in a producer to be the one who picks whatever the opposite of the unanimous panel does, just to make it harder to screenshot stuff like this.  If the panel is actually split, the producer can just pick whoever they want.

It's like how when MNF had Ditka in it, who would pick the Bears even when they're slated to lose by 4 touchdowns, but no one minded because he's Ditka so of course he's picking the Bears.

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I still don't know why TV networks that do football don't just rope in a producer to be the one who picks whatever the opposite of the unanimous panel does, just to make it harder to screenshot stuff like this.  If the panel is actually split, the producer can just pick whoever they want.

It's like how when MNF had Ditka in it, who would pick the Bears even when they're slated to lose by 4 touchdowns, but no one minded because he's Ditka so of course he's picking the Bears.

I don't see a problem with unanimous picks. Nobody should've picked us. The Chiefs are the Chiefs and the Packers are a couple weeks off of losing to some pretty bad teams. In the ol heart of hearts were you confident in a Packers W?

I think it just makes the win more impressive. Now gotta keep it up when this schedule softens up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

To me he's been stacking a couple successes here. 

Think it's a no brainer to bring him back with a couple new guys.

Think the whole o-line has kind of stabilized a little.  They aren't great run-blockers, but everything seems a little more consistent, which helps Dillon. 

I'm a big believer in pass-sets-up-run.  Seems like as the pass game has gotten more dangerous, and we're doing more effective passing on 1st downs.  MLF is still pretty committed to run-on-1st-down, especially once leading, so most times KC could count on stuffing runs to Dillon for 2-yard gains on 1st downs in the second half.  But there were some 1st-down passes mixed in, so they couldn't 100% sit run on 1st downs.  He got at least one 5/6-yard run on a 1st down in the second half.  

After Heath dropped a 1st-down pass, they did a surprise run on 2nd-and-long.  That was a down when KC was NOT expecting run, so Dillon ran for 10. Runs work way better when defense isn't sitting on them and expecting them.  I feel like as the passing game has gotten more dangerous, and MLF doesn't predictably run on every 1st down, that makes it easier for Dillon.  

14 minutes ago, craig said:

Think the whole o-line has kind of stabilized a little.  They aren't great run-blockers, but everything seems a little more consistent, which helps Dillon. 

I'm a big believer in pass-sets-up-run.  Seems like as the pass game has gotten more dangerous, and we're doing more effective passing on 1st downs.  MLF is still pretty committed to run-on-1st-down, especially once leading, so most times KC could count on stuffing runs to Dillon for 2-yard gains on 1st downs in the second half.  But there were some 1st-down passes mixed in, so they couldn't 100% sit run on 1st downs.  He got at least one 5/6-yard run on a 1st down in the second half.  

After Heath dropped a 1st-down pass, they did a surprise run on 2nd-and-long.  That was a down when KC was NOT expecting run, so Dillon ran for 10. Runs work way better when defense isn't sitting on them and expecting them.  I feel like as the passing game has gotten more dangerous, and MLF doesn't predictably run on every 1st down, that makes it easier for Dillon.  

Without diving into the last few games on the OLine I'm not going to say if the OL is or isn't doing a better job, gut reaction is not much has changed in the blocking there.

What I think has helped the most is the lack of penalties on the offense. LaFleur having more north south work for Dillon. Dillon getting his base under him and working through contact better.

I think the run/pass works in tandem. The threat of the run makes passing easier. Passing well helps open up some rushing lanes. I don't think it's a one way street. When we look good our PA game has been bananas.

• Like 1

PFF Best, Worse scores.

Top 5 offense

1. QB Jordan Love: 91.8
2. WR Christian Watson: 88.9
3. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 85.3
4. C Josh Myers: 73.7
5. RB A.J. Dillon: 73.2

Love produced four “big-time throws” and zero “turnover-worthy plays.” More on his performance later. Watson caught seven passes, scored twice and averaged almost 2.5 yards per route run while also adding 15 rushing yards. Wicks caught three of four targets and had another catch of 20+ yards on just 16 routes run. Myers allowed one quarterback hit but graded out well as both a run-blocker and pass-blocker. Dillon gained 51 yards after first contact, caught his only target for 14 yards and was excellent as a pass-blocker.

Top 5 defense

1. S Darnell Savage: 85.0
2. OLB Kingsley Enagbare: 78.5
3. CB Keisean Nixon: 76.9
4. DL Kenny Clark: 65.2
5. CB Carrington Valentine: 64.9

Savage delivered two stops and a pass breakup and allowed just one catch in coverage in his return from injured reserve. Enagbare produced a pair of pressures and was solid against the run on the edge. Nixon gave up four catches but was otherwise solid in both coverage and run support, and his interception was a huge play. Clark added six more pressures, including a sack and a hit. He has 20 pressures in the last three games.

Bottom 5 offense

1. RG Jon Runyan Jr: 54.4
2. WR Malik Heath: 55.5
3. RB Patrick Taylor: 60.9
4. WR Jayden Reed: 61.4
5. LG Elgton Jenkins: 62.5

Runyan gave up two quick pressures and was only so-so in the run game. Heath dropped a pass. Taylor had an explosive run in the first half but also gave up a pressure. Reed ran 20 routes and caught four passes but managed only 16 total yards. Jenkins gave up two pressures and was the offensive line’s lowest-graded run-blocker. The offense did not have an egregiously poor performance from an individual.

Bottom 5 defense

1. DL Karl Brooks: 35.0
2. LB De’Vondre Campbell: 49.1
3. CB Corey Ballentine: 53.6
4. OLB Lukas Van Ness: 56.2
5. OLB Preston Smith: 57.4

Brooks missed a tackle and was the defense’s lowest-graded run defender over 24 total snaps. Campbell missed a tackle, gave up four completions in coverage and was poor against the run. Ballentine was credited with allowing six catches, and he was penalized for pass interference. Van Ness had a sack and two total pressures but struggled at times against the run. Smith had a sack but it was his only pressure over 28 pass-rushing snaps.

Special teams

Isaiah McDuffie and Kristan Welch had the two special teams tackles. The Packers didn’t miss one. Henry Pearson (offside on kickoff) had the only penalty. Anders Carlson made all five kicks, including two clutch field goals, Daniel Whelan put both of his punts inside the 20-yard line and Keisean Nixon had a 35-yard kickoff return. Robert Rochell (14 snaps) had the highest special teams grade.

Quarterback

Jordan Love: 91.8

Love dazzled. He completed 20 of 23 passes from clean pockets, hit 12 of 15 passes off play-action, found four completions thrown 20 or more yards and didn’t have a turnover worthy play. He even averaged 8.1 yards while under pressure and successfully handled the Chiefs’ blitz-happy defense. He had one pass dropped and two throwaways, so his adjusted completion percentage was once again almost 80 percent. The Chiefs pressured him on 16 dropbacks but finished with just two sacks. Love’s 91.8 overall grade was a career-best.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Without diving into the last few games on the OLine I'm not going to say if the OL is or isn't doing a better job, gut reaction is not much has changed in the blocking there.

What I think has helped the most is the lack of penalties on the offense. LaFleur having more north south work for Dillon. Dillon getting his base under him and working through contact better.

I think the run/pass works in tandem. The threat of the run makes passing easier. Passing well helps open up some rushing lanes. I don't think it's a one way street. When we look good our PA game has been bananas.

True.  Lack of penalties has really, really helped us.

Even last night we were not good enough to overcome offensive penalties.

We are good and getting better, but we really need to avoid those stupid penalties like an illegal shift or false start.  Holding kills us, too, but at least that is an aggressive penalty and not a simple mental penalty.